Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Nearly every songs been duplicated with a cloud version and a local version. Loads of songs I deleted years ago have come back (guessing this is my old iTunes Match content coming back to haunt me.) All my playlists are completely ruined and are now populated with random songs from my library. This is an utter shambles, I wish there was a way to just completely reset my so called cloud library and start again.

Edit: And all my artwork is jumbled up, My Les Miserable album now has a picture of Britney Spears :( :(

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
I think I'm having the same issue, Andy.

What was a very well maintained library of 3,500 songs - properly tagged with the correct artwork is now a right old shambles.

I've got 'Hope There's Someone' by Antony and the Johnsons, which is actually Superchrist by Smashing Pumpkins. And I now have Nirvava - In Utero track information for some old Avril Lavigne album.

This is going to take some fixing...

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Can't you reset the library by simply deleting the songs?

I'm thinking about just starting over with a clean, blank library and going 100% streaming.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Same thing here! All of my playlists are ruined too and the artworks are messed up. It's also telling me that a lot of my songs are duplicates although they are not.
I'm having the duplicate issue too, this is really annoying. The messed up playlists and artwork is all showing on my phone now too.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

ltrahhh

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
Are anyone else's playlists just not loading altogether? It looks like I have all of my music but my playlists from iTunes- either smart or manually made- are not loading.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
I got rid of iTunes Match for this very reason. But to make matters worse, I now live in this amazing house with a gorgeous view, no neighbors and... 60GB a month of internet. I'm not wasting my internet usage playing with iTunes Match to try to get my info and album art fixed, but at the same time I can't use Apple Music without offline saving of content which means I have to use iCloud Music.

(Makes gagging sound)

I'm going to be thinking really hard about whether this is worth the $15/mo to use with my wife...

Lopes

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
For me, any song or album i migrated over that were saved in my Beats music account are completely greyed out in iTunes 12.2, and unplayable. no problems on the phone app, but iTunes has borked it all....

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I came to make the same complaint. I had no duplicates before. Now I have 2100! So now the questions is, how to fix it.

Last edited:

sully54

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
Canada
Hey guys, I'm having the same issue and have been working for a few hours to try and get my head around this.

In the meantime, I just want to point out that you don't need to manually fix your library. If you have a Time Machine backup, just go to your home folder, then Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl and restore that file back to before you activated iCloud Music Library. This basically fixes any damage iCloud Music Library caused (fixes playlists, removes duplicates).

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Nearly every songs been duplicated with a cloud version and a local version. Loads of songs I deleted years ago have come back (guessing this is my old iTunes Match content coming back to haunt me.) All my playlists are completely ruined and are now populated with random songs from my library. This is an utter shambles, I wish there was a way to just completely reset my so called cloud library and start again.

Edit: And all my artwork is jumbled up, My Les Miserable album now has a picture of Britney Spears :( :(

I flat out dumped the whole thing, nuked my library and returned to a Time Machine copy from this morning.

I'm totally done with this already. The one thing you can NEVER do here Apple is mess with our (usually) highly curated and organized local libraries. I was getting duplicates that had the flat out wrong metadata. Just awful. They still don't get how to do this could stuff for some reason.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I think I'm having the same issue, Andy.

What was a very well maintained library of 3,500 songs - properly tagged with the correct artwork is now a right old shambles.

Hope you have a Time Machine copy - I'd start over and stay away for now (or forever)

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Checking in. Ruined. I was about to add an album to my library that showed as having a duplicate (311 Stereolithic) I search for it and there are 2 copies. So I delete the ones with the double cloud icon. Then I get info on another and it has an album art from Barenaked Ladies. Still shows the file from 311. I hit play and it still says 311, but it's playing the Barenaked Ladies song! I can't sync to my iPad which has iOS 8.4 and my iPhone on iOS 9 Beta 2 is just completely ruined. I have over 15000 songs, like others, meticulously maintained. I'm pretty OCD about a few things, this being one of them. I was very afraid of this but figured I was going to have no choice so I just jumped in. Perhaps time to restore to the backup I made yesterday...

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Checking in. Ruined. I was about to add an album to my library that showed as having a duplicate (311 Stereolithic) I search for it and there are 2 copies. So I delete the ones with the double cloud icon. Then I get info on another and it has an album art from Barenaked Ladies. Still shows the file from 311. I hit play and it still says 311, but it's playing the Barenaked Ladies song! I can't sync to my iPad which has iOS 8.4 and my iPhone on iOS 9 Beta 2 is just completely ruined. I have over 15000 songs, like others, meticulously maintained. I'm pretty OCD about a few things, this being one of them. I was very afraid of this but figured I was going to have no choice so I just jumped in. Perhaps time to restore to the backup I made yesterday...

I hear you bud - I'm half way through re-syncing my "normal" library from the Time Machine restore. I think I'll stick with listening to Beats 1 and have the rest of Apple Music "off" - What a mess

Reactions: qtrim

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I hear you bud - I'm half way through re-syncing my "normal" library from the Time Machine restore. I think I'll stick with listening to Beats 1 and have the rest of Apple Music "off" - What a mess

Check that. My phone is still intact. I started playing music on my laptop and nothing matches what it says is playing. In horror, I realized it was changing every file in my library on Dropbox, which I have my library stored on. I paused my sync. I might be with you in restoring my backup momentarily. I can't believe they haven't fixed this in the years since we all seemingly quit using Match for the same reasons.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Check that. My phone is still intact. I started playing music on my laptop and nothing matches what it says is playing. In horror, I realized it was changing every file in my library on Dropbox, which I have my library stored on. I paused my sync. I might be with you in restoring my backup momentarily. I can't believe they haven't fixed this in the years since we all seemingly quit using Match for the same reasons.

Yeah - They have violated rule #1 here - Don't mess with ANY of our already organized stuff - Scan it to give recommendations, but never, ever, ever change it and start propagating that everywhere.

It literally started writing over my metadata without even asking or mentioning it.

Nightmare.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah. I just saw all my play counts in shambles again too. Going to my backup. Just have to figure out how to push that back to dropbox too. Guess I will just have to delete my dropbox from work and then let my laptop push it back up tomorrow night. Do I just have to do a full restore of my computer?

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I don't even understand. Pretty much my whole library is completely ruined. The files no longer match what they are supposed to be. And I'm looking at the files, not in iTunes. Unreal. I am now remembering taking my computer offline before launching iTunes. What a complete disaster relived for fun.

Reactions: qtrim

lmddawson

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Hey guys. I know exactly how everyone is feeling. You don't need a time machine backup, luckily I had an old copy of my library from an hour previous in my "Previous iTunes libraries" folder. So hold down alt or cmd when opening iTunes, and click "Choose library" and open up the 2nd most recent one (before you activated iCloud music etc.)

What a mess, eh.

I don't trust my library with the cloud.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Oh dear. This really is a mess.

It's now also looking like I have a lot of missing songs. Not a classic by any means, but I'm missing about half of Alanis Morrissette's So Called Chaos. I know it was there previously, but there's no sign of the songs in iTunes, or even anywhere on the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.