Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnthonyHarris

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2009
Cambridge, England
I like how the lovely Taylor isn't plagued by that GOD AWFUL Apple Music splash screen banner advert that pops up every time i open the music application. It sometimes prevents me from seeing my music at all because it crashes iTunes and displays a completely unresponsive white screen.

I shouldn't be subjected to that JUST because i don't wish to purchase Apple Music.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I don't have any hard stats, but the 'typical', iPhone buying, teenage girl which seems to be the demographic the advert targets generally has a high-crossover with Taylor Swift's main demographic. Apple's naturally hoping to tie in these groups and migrate users to Apple Music over rival services using Swift's endorsement.

MacRumours sadly doesn't represent the typical Apple user, the typical Apple-user is now people who want a thin smartphone in flashy colours with a great camera for social media, that can also stream music and youtube videos.

80% of her buying public are not teen girls, though her concert goers are.
She sells too much, too widely for this to be the case.
[doublepost=1459633208][/doublepost]
Welcome to the modern world! Glad you finally got here. Disliking social media and the fact it's a good camera for Facebook, instragram isn't going to change anything.

Encouraging Swift by putting her in the commercial is another story.

She's sold 150M+ songs in 8 years, only Rihanna has done better, don't think she needs encouragement from Apple.

Apple gets exposure to her fan and she gets money out of it; perfectly decent business transaction for all parties.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
80% of her buying public are not teen girls, though her concert goers are.
She sells too much, too widely for this to be the case.
Astute observation.

People would do well not to dis her, her music, or her business sensibilities until she starts to lose it like so many others have. But at least for now she doesn't show up drunk, doesn't pull down female fan's tops, keeps her own unmentionables on, and doesn't do any of that twerking, planking, or owling. That we know of... ;)

I'm still hoping for her to write a song about that terrible breakup we had, even though it was ages ago... :rolleyes:

Reactions: macworksgreat

BlankSlate

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2016
A YouTube comment said it best; "CRINGE"!!!
One of the few times YouTube commenters get it right lol
Once she started with her "gangsta act" I had to fast forward to her face-planting.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
I've never heard of this woman until the Apple Music polemic. Anyway, it looks like the random and cyclic pop star to me. New model coming in very few years...

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Unlike the "For You" section of Apple Music, the pre-set playlists found on the service's New tab are the same for every user and get specifically curated for different events

To be fair the "For You" section is also just a bunch of pre-made playlists, they're just loosely linked to you on what genres and artists you like. And in my case very loosely and very poorly linked. Apple doesn't have anything like Spotify's "Discover Weekly" playlist which is truly fantastic engineering.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Taylor sure wears a lot of makeup while doing cardio.

She really has created this 'I'm a huge clutz' persona. It's so fake. She wants to be relatable.

Cwolk

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
NJ, USA
What annoys me the most was that Apple didn't stop the song at a natural and precise point at the end. They just let it run on until the ad ended.

To be more clear: In most of their ads, Apple makes an effort to stop the song at a specific beat or natural moment. Instead of letting the song run on, they usually make the ending crisp, clean, and precise. They didn't do that here. Sloppy.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Mind pointing out the things that made it an "obvious stunt double swap"? Serious question here.

Well first, let's be honest, Taylor would never risk doing a stunt that could injure her, so it's a given there is film trickery goin on here.

The moment you can't see her face it's clear they worked really hard to make sure the stunt double's face isn't shown till she lifts her head at the end, which they swapped Taylor in during editing. The other possibility is they shot two different takes, one with a stunt double with a green screen mask on, and then superimposed Taylor's face on the double, who took the fall. Taylor's take she stumbles a bit (probably on harness to avoid actually falling) to get lighting and facial expressions right. Then they superimpose her face on the green screen mask of the stunt double before and at the end when she lifts her head. If they did it this way, that's the reason they made such an effort to cover her face once the fall started, because it's really hard to superimpose a face in such a fast paced moment and it to look real, so you just avoid showing her face.

I just know, even in the most non-dangerous situations, they'll use stunt doubles and/or cgi because if a whole film depends on one actor, they will never risk anything. And Taylor is her own brand, she wouldn't do any of it unless she knew she would be unharmed.
[doublepost=1460055389][/doublepost]
Mind pointing out the things that made it an "obvious stunt double swap"? Serious question here.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
I call fake.

First of all, the music; ug, how can anybody run to that? I can swear something was actually OUT OF TUNE in that song! Second, she didn't fall; not really. Stunt girl, I could see her laying prone on the ground and said immediately "different body". It was a stunt girl with a similar but definitely different body, to my eyes.

And my eyes are pretty good at recognizing girls' bodies. ;)

So...fake!

Then you're going to have to explain how there's no cut or edit. The camera just pans down at her. It's Taylor, she just fell properly in a way that didn't hurt herself. Notice how you don't actually see the impact.

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Then you're going to have to explain how there's no cut or edit. The camera just pans down at her. It's Taylor, she just fell properly in a way that didn't hurt herself. Notice how you don't actually see the impact.

No way, dude. Different girl's extremity movements during the fall. Different. Her limbs don't move that way. And different girl's body laying prone. Different torso, maybe thicker by a bit or longer by a bit. DIFFERENT. It's a body-shape thing. I can tell twins apart in the light, or in the dark.

I am a leg man, so I notice everything about any woman's walking, standing, swaying, and other moving patterns. But even if you don't believe that I or any other visually-oriented man could possibly have an eye for ladies' bodies, there is NO WAY her handlers, record label, business partners, "posse", or insurance company are going to allow her to do her own stunt, not even if she's paid for it. She's not trained to fall correctly, because it's just not what she does. Her entire body is too valuable to allow her to take any such risk. A broken neck, nose, tooth, or jaw could spell the end of this singing gravy train for a whole lot of people. Doing her own stunts on a moving treadmill is just NOT gonna happen.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
No way, dude. Different girl's extremity movements during the fall. Different. Her limbs don't move that way. And different girl's body laying prone. Different torso, maybe thicker by a bit or longer by a bit. DIFFERENT. It's a body-shape thing. I can tell twins apart in the light, or in the dark.

I am a leg man, so I notice everything about any woman's walking, standing, swaying, and other moving patterns. But even if you don't believe that I or any other visually-oriented man could possibly have an eye for ladies' bodies, there is NO WAY her handlers, record label, business partners, "posse", or insurance company are going to allow her to do her own stunt, not even if she's paid for it. She's not trained to fall correctly, because it's just not what she does. Her entire body is too valuable to allow her to take any such risk. A broken neck, nose, tooth, or jaw could spell the end of this singing gravy train for a whole lot of people. Doing her own stunts on a moving treadmill is just NOT gonna happen.

It's clear you need glasses.
[doublepost=1460747417][/doublepost]
Well first, let's be honest, Taylor would never risk doing a stunt that could injure her, so it's a given there is film trickery goin on here.

It's not a 'given", it's your assumption. Lots of actors and actresses do some of their own stunts. Taylor Swift is in good shape, she dances a lot, and has to learn dance choreography. She also works out and has her own fitness routine. Even if she got injured doing a stunt like this, it would not affect her voice, which is her primary talent.

The moment you can't see her face it's clear....

It's not clear, you are just guessing, and stitching together scenarios from your own mind. It's a case of pareidolia.

I just know, even in the most non-dangerous situations, they'll use stunt doubles and/or cgi because if a whole film depends on one actor, they will never risk anything. And Taylor is her own brand, she wouldn't do any of it unless she knew she would be unharmed.

This ad probably cost maybe $75,000 to make. Peanuts compared to movies.

Last edited:

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US

Whatever. Your childish insult will not deter me, and I don't need to return it in kind.

The cost of the ad (or a movie) has no bearing on the risk assessment of potential lost future earnings. How many albums will she not make if she's screwed up? How many concert tours will she not perform, putting thousands out of work? She is what they call a "key person". In shape or not, she's not a stuntwoman. She does not have that skillset, not even if she works out daily and does Pilates, yoga, and spiritual chanting on weekends.

Risk assessment is a business decision, and it needs to be made by people other than the skinny little songbird who thinks it's safe to self-plant her face on a moving treadmill. I remain unconvinced that she performed her own stunt. This is not a diss against her, either.

I know a hard-body who was super-badly injured in a seemingly minor fall, and has required several surgeries and procedures just to be able to sit without pain. And still, she sits (and moves and eats and sleeps and works and smiles and laughs and cries) with pain.

I'm also telling you, you don't realize what a broken nose or a couple of busted teeth can do to a singer's mouth and nasal cavity and how that can affect their voice and maybe even their muse, potentially impacting their entire career.

One wrong fall and she breaks her neck or ruptures a disk. Good luck looking glamorous in those big arena shows when you can hardly stand or walk without incredible pain shooting up your legs like the Aurora Borealis, and good luck playing your guitar when your arms are on fire with spinal pain from having twisted your neck in a stupid stunt.

This was CGI or it was a stuntwoman, because if anybody Taylor Swift has employed thought it would be a good idea for her to do her own stunt for a big company such as Apple, they would be FIRED for their stupidity and for allowing the firm's rainmaker to take on such a foolish risk.

Smart business people surround themselves with people of good judgement. If she did her own stunt, then I submit to you that somewhere, more than one of her people showed a glaring gap in business judgement, which would completely negate their value to the franchise. I'd fire the lot of them and start building a new team.

But again, it didn't happen because it was CGI or a different woman.

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
Whatever. Your childish insult will not deter me, and I don't need to return it in kind.

It's not an insult, it's a fact about your vision. Watch the video again.

The cost of the ad (or a movie) has no bearing on the risk assessment of potential lost future earnings. How many albums will she not make if she's screwed up? How many concert tours will she not perform, putting thousands out of work? She is what they call a "key person". In shape or not, she's not a stuntwoman. She does not have that skillset, not even if she works out daily and does Pilates, yoga, and spiritual chanting on weekends.

Oh God, if she somehow managed to miraculously break her foot or face or hand or ribs, etc. that wouldn't prevent her from singing. Therefore "how many albums will she not make?" is an irrelevant question. It wouldn't even cancel any concert performances.

I'm also telling you, you don't realize what a broken nose or a couple of busted teeth can do to a singer's mouth and nasal cavity and how that can affect their voice and maybe even their muse, potentially impacting their entire career.

No I don't, and apparently you don't either. Please do share this secret medical information you have and back it up with well documented case studies.

One wrong fall and she breaks her neck or ruptures a disk. Good luck looking glamorous in those big arena shows when you can hardly stand or walk without incredible pain shooting up your legs like the Aurora Borealis, and good luck playing your guitar when your arms are on fire with spinal pain from having twisted your neck in a stupid stunt.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Hysterical and fantastical scenarios based on nothing. We're talking about a fit twenty-something on a treadmill, not an old lady falling down a flight of stairs.

Smart business people surround themselves with people of good judgement. If she did her own stunt, then I submit to you that somewhere, more than one of her people showed a glaring gap in business judgement, which would completely negate their value to the franchise. I'd fire the lot of them and start building a new team.

Good thing you're not her business manager then.

But again, it didn't happen because it was CGI or a different woman.

Yet you have zero proof of that, not even one shred of evidence.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
[doublepost=1460747417][/doublepost]

It's not a 'given", it's your assumption. Lots of actors and actresses do some of their own stunts. Taylor Swift is in good shape, she dances a lot, and has to learn dance choreography. She also works out and has her own fitness routine. Even if she got injured doing a stunt like this, it would not affect her voice, which is her primary talent.

It's not clear, you are just guessing, and stitching together scenarios from your own mind. It's a case of pareidolia.

I have a feeling you don't work in entertainment whatsoever. If she got her doing this stunt, she couldn't tour for months, she has to dance and be physical as much as her voice is on show. They wouldn't risk the millions it would cost if she were hurt and couldn't tour. Sorry, but you're completely naive. And because there are obvious queues on where she is swapped out for a stuns double or green screen, makes it even move clear she didn't do the stunt. She wouldn't risk not being able to tour for a "75,000" commercial, which also, it was not, I'm sure they spent at least 3-4 thousand on it. I've worked in film, highly doubtful they skimped on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.