Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoff1985

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Hi everyone,

i just joined Apple Music, used Spotify before, but i really regret it already, maybe i'm doing it wrong but i can't get further.

So i have a Laptop, an iPhone 6 and an iPad Mini.
- All devices have the same Apple ID

- All devices have the cloud media database activated.

WHAT I WANT TO DO:
I want to have 1 playlist with all songs i want to have OFFLINE AVAILABLE. And if i add a new song to the playlist it should be downloaded automatically.

SITUATION:
I have a playlist, but when checking with "Only show music on your phone" half the playlist is greyed out. If i click on the whole playlist to "Make available offline" nothing happens.

WHAT I DID ALREADY
Created a completely new playlist and made it available offline. Some songs did download but not everything.
I tried to download ALL genres (clicked on every genre) but still half of the playlist is greyed out although i downloaded that genre.

MY QUESTION:
What is the best way to have a playlist where i just can ADD songs on a device and they are offline available on my phone always?

So far i only have about 700 songs in my playlist this shouldn't be a problem right?

I'm trying for 3 days.... With Spotify it was so incredibly easy, i press on available offline and it ALWAYS works for ALL songs in this playlist. But as Apple has a few artists more and is more integrated with the iphone i wanted to change...

Thanks,

Andre

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hoping someone chimes in with an answer - I have the same issue. For me, it's been working fine for the whole 3-month trial period. Coincidentally, right after I cancelled Spotify, now it has stopped working!

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I don't have any answers but the 6-8 playlists that are marked for offline listening, if I add a song to any of them on iTunes (mac) they automatically become available offline on my iDevices.

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Mine used to work that way. Incidentally, I had just updated from a iPhone5S to an iPhone 6S. I restored the 6S with my 5S backup, and it appeared that everything loaded correctly, but then I noticed the offline problem.

I just tried signing out of Apple Music and signing back in, but now everything is gone, playlists and everything! Might be time for a Genius bar appointment.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Mine used to work that way. Incidentally, I had just updated from a iPhone5S to an iPhone 6S. I restored the 6S with my 5S backup, and it appeared that everything loaded correctly, but then I noticed the offline problem.

I just tried signing out of Apple Music and signing back in, but now everything is gone, playlists and everything! Might be time for a Genius bar appointment.

Yeah I agree. There's some other things to try, but they can get it back and working again.

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Fixed it! Somehow, either in the process of switching phones, or when I signed out of Apple Music, iCloud Music Library got turned off. Turned it back on in Settings > Music and all the playlists showed up again. Then I went to each one and selected Make Available Offline, and the all the songs downloaded again. Whew!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.