Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
I wish for new displays. I would like to buy a new one, but with an event around the corner I will wait.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Perhaps They'll Offer A Hybrid HD Universal Optical Drive

Apple normally likes to get ahead of the game but I think the battle between blu-ray and HD-DVD is too close to call for them to fully support one format but i would love to see a high-def format in a Mac! :p
Perhaps they'll offer both or a Hybrid HD Universal Optical Drive that can write both plus all the old formats.

Damek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
New York City, USA
1. Ummm....no, this is geared more towards the pro crowd.

You didn't even read my full sentence, let alone my full post. I said they'd likely update them before the NAB event. I've seen them do such things in the past. No need to make a brouhaha over minor hardware bumps, so they sometimes do such updates a week or two before some other announcement.

I clearly said elsewhere in the post that NAB was a pro event and wouldn't see anything non-pro given much attention.

studiomusic

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2004
Round the world
Lights: new MacLite LED studio lights. For the discerning professional.
Camera: Apple/Red partnership. 4k for ev-er-y-bo-day!
Apple: Apple branches off into produce...

I was there when they introduced FCP HD and Motion. On sunday! They updated ibooks during that week too.

chubad

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Frozen Wasteland
Final Cut Studio 6.

Possibly Shake 2.

Final Cut Studio Extreme. Probably the 8 core MacPro to run it on.

If Final Cut needs Leopard expect only an announcement with the software available "Spring" 2007. ;)

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
There is no doubt Apple will introduce the newest version of Final Cut Pro. Hopefully they update Final Cut Express, as well. I just purchased a copy, but I'd be willing to update if the new features are worth it. :)

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Since it's a NAB event, It would suggest professional stuff for Film/Video professionals.

so, very likely:
FCP
FC Studio apps
Shake
Logic
maybe a new app for the same professionals

good chance:
Mac Pro Octo-Core (shipping after Leopard)
Displays

Maybe:
iSight
FCP Extreme
MBP

very unlikely / not happening:
Leopard
iLife
iWork
iPods
720p iTunes movies and shows.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I agree about the Final Cut Studio. I believe there will be an announcement
regarding Final Cut Extreme that will not just be incredible software, but
also include some sort of hardware such as an accelerator board or some sort of I/O hardware.
Will probably include a new version of Shake with FC Extreme. I'll bet we see Leopard, and
new MacPros prior to that, probably the same day as CS3 is announced (March 27th).

I agree.

FCP/FCS
FCE/Shake/Logic

Related to FCE, dedicated graphics board, probable external PCI solution, probable new RAID.

MacPro Octo announced, shipping a bit later.
Probably an announce prior to or at this event of the Mac-Mini or iMac.
Unlikely but possible a 15" MacBook Pro feature bump.
Wouldn't a "new" iMac quad be cool?

I think we have to wait for Leopard and any hardware is 10.4.9 minimum.

Rocketman

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
You didn't even read my full sentence, let alone my full post. I said they'd likely update them before the NAB event. I've seen them do such things in the past. No need to make a brouhaha over minor hardware bumps, so they sometimes do such updates a week or two before some other announcement.

I clearly said elsewhere in the post that NAB was a pro event and wouldn't see anything non-pro given much attention.

My apologies, I just the the word mini and went crazy. :)

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I Registered Last Week And Wasn't Invited. I Have My Ticket Printed Out. I'm also pre-registered for the expo. But the $300 in gas and/or motel expense, depending on which vehicle I took, I would have to spend to get there and back is going to keep me from going thanks to the internet.

LOL, I'm on the INTERNET!

Hi Mom!

Congratulations! I mean really though, what's your point? Is this some clever way to boast about how you heard about this even a week ago and had already registered to it and the expo? Then you talk about how it would cost you $300 or more, depending on which (of the many) vehicle(s) you (would) drive.

I don't get it.

So now are you blaming the internet you are no longer special? Thus making the event/expo not worth the $300 or so it would cost to get there and back?

Or

You're just saying it cost to much to go? My guess is it's the first one, because of the addition of "thanks to the internet."

My guess, again, is that you are probably one of the handful that would vote this as negative news?

But hey, these are just guesses I don't want to ASS-U-ME.

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
I predict no new computers till Leopard is released. Once that is out we will see a completely new lineup, everything is ready for an upgrade.

You're right.

Things that are due to come out .

1) Leapord
2) Mac Book Pros
3) Ipod
4) Imac
5) Mac Pros
6) FCP

Things I'd like to see but don't expect (not talking about NAB timeline, just things I hope apple will suprise me with this year)

1) New Aperture to leapfrog Adobe's Lightroom
2) Cinema Displays
3) Isight Cameras

Those are my thoughts. I'm due for a MBP but i'm holding out for santa rosa. Seriously I just want announcements and pre-orders. I can wait a few months GIVE ME SPECS !!!!!

contractcooker

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
I think the 720p downloads are much more likely. Movies maybe, TV shows likely. They may drop some Leopard hints, though.

I'm really curious how they'll price HD content. If they're smart they'll price it the same at the current SD and drop the SD prices. They could really steal any thunder HDDVD and BR have going at this point with a great pricing structure... guess we'll see.

Why not price SD and HD the same? I mean SD is on its way out and HD will soon be the new standard so I don't see why they don't just let those with the technology take advantage of it and those without benefit from smaller DL sizes:D

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
well full screen ipod could be good for watching shows and stuff hence relevant to broadcasting.Would also be cool if it had wifi lol for some lovely wireless streaming...

That would be nice, but not at NAB expo, or rather, that's highly unlikely for this event. I don't remember Apple ever introducing any new or updated consumer products or consumer services at a professional convention/expo.

For NAB expos, the announced software updates have been limited to their pro video software and the associated apps (what's now in FCS, and Shake), and the only hardware I remember them updating or introducing at NAB is the pro computers, in the past, PowerBook & PowerMac (IIRC, both updated NAB05), now MacBook Pro (17" intro'd at NAB06) and Mac Pro (I'm speculating for this year's event).

I'm not saying it won't happen, but it helps to temper the expectations by carefully watching Apple's track record with regards to product announcements.

Anyway, I'll be at the NAB expo, but it looks like I'll be there a day late.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.