Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Can a Newton support an 802.11b internet connection? I was thinking of getting a newton, I want a PDA because I CANT enter information directly to my iPod. I have a minitower G3 so I dont mind the only serial connection, I have $70 bucks. Which newtons can support 802.11b , can they go on the internet though a browser or AIM? I want to get one but I need more info. Please help thanks a lot! :D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I think there's been other threads on the subject within the last couple of months, try searching...

i shouldn't think, besides battery power, that there would be any problem... someone out there must have written drivers for it by now...

:)
pnw

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Yes, the Newton will support 802.11 wireless with a wireless card from Lucent or Orinoco. The drivers can be found on the web. They were written by Woo, and work great. You have to have the Newton OS 2 or higher though. If you have a Newt 2000 or 2100 you are in luck. A 130 can be made to work with it, but because it is SO much slower, I would not suggest the 130. Check here:

http://www.newted.com/
http://www.thisoldnewt.com

Good Luck!

Regards,
Gus

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
Has anyone written bluetooth drivers for the Newton yet? If someone has written drivers, and you can afford the extra cost required to get a bluetooth PC card, get that instead.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by Draft
Has anyone written bluetooth drivers for the Newton yet? If someone has written drivers, and you can afford the extra cost required to get a bluetooth PC card, get that instead.

Why? Bluetooth is a short range wireless network and is almost to slow for internet Plus he would have to be within 4 Foot from his Computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.