Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam223

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2008
UPDATE (10/13/08): I just got an update from a source that gave us new information about the updated MacBook Air. Apparently, a new MacBook Air will be announced and shown at the event but it won't be available until January 2009. The MacBook and MacBook Pro will be available almost immediately.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=626#more

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
We're not getting Cinema Displays and we're not going to see a new tablet/touch mac. It's just not going to happen.

All of the updates are going to be relatively mainstream and keep in line with fundamental pushes in the notebook line. Nothing crazy and out of the ordinary.

Agreed. Tomorrow Apple will release a new MacBook and a new MacBook Pro, and possibly an upgrade to the Air. Nothing more, nothing less. That is it. Period.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
New laptops not available tomorrow, but only in November?!

I notice that we haven't heard of shipments arriving at stores yet. At this point, less than 20 hours before the announcement, does this mean there will be a delay, as with the first MBP or with the iPhone?

To play the devils advocate, I guess it would make sense for them to announce now, even if they only ship in November. This way they make sure that shoppers don't spend their money on other things before Christmas.

IrishMac

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2006
If Apple do offer Blu-ray on the MB & MB Pro tomorrow then it makes sense they'll "quietly" update the iMac and Mac Pro lines as well, probably later in the week.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
UPDATE (10/13/08): I just got an update from a source that gave us new information about the updated MacBook Air. Apparently, a new MacBook Air will be announced and shown at the event but it won't be available until January 2009. The MacBook and MacBook Pro will be available almost immediately.

That sounds like a really good plan. Kill sales of the MacBook Air over the Christmas period. :rolleyes:

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm going to try and set my max price at $2500 Australian. Hopefully that will get me a nice top end MB or low end MBP (I'd love if I could get Applecare in that). I want to get another student discount but I got one in Feb :(

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Interesting no one has been talking about what chipset they will use and at what speeds...

Chipheads?

shh!

That is way too technical for my eyes! I only care about color, and what type of seam the new MBP has.

image.php

Correct me if I am wrong iGary, but I believe the context of his post was this , not the entire macrumors www.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Apple Retail Store UK - Stock

Spoke to a member of the staff at the Regent Street Apple Store earlier in the day and he said that new products are available for sale the next day, in this case Wednesday. Whilst he didn't confirm new notebooks were coming out, obviously they are... makes me wonder if they will ever learn. Hate this whole idea about "we find out the same day as you do".

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Steve comes on stage,

- Talks about the Air, its success, its design, its manufacturing process, benefits of using aluminium etc.

- Introduces slightly upgraded spec, and slight price drop.

- Moves onto the Macbook, shows how its evolved from the iBook through the to current Macbook, discusses how apple has always been at the front of design.

- Announces new styled macbook, exactly as expected, Larger trackpad, Multi touch gestures, Black backlit keyboard. Reduced price points. There is a method for firewire usage. Uses display port connector. Superdrive as standard.

- Moves on to discuss Macbook Pro, announces new production methods using laser cut one piece aluminium frame (same as macbook manufacturing) Also discusses the merging of parts between notebook lines, leading to reduced costs for notebooks.

- Announces new Macbook Pro, same styling as the new Macbook, Firewire is on this device. Reduced pricing also. But still premium pricing strategy (no massive price cuts to below current market level). Available with SSD.

- Final discussion - Blu Ray, discusses how Apple has supported this from the beginning, now available on Macs running 10.5.6 (available after keynote) And Blue Ray disc drive available in both Macbook and Macbook Pro models for a premium price.

No one more thing.

End

**note, no crazy launch of touch based Macs or Cinema displays or Tv's or Docks. Dont get your hopes up for these, Macrumors doesnt need a million, "why didn't apple launch ...... I hate apple now!" posts this time tomorrow. This is a Notebook event only **

My Thoughts.
JP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Who wants to agree with me that the lowest-end Macbook will still have a combo drive?

I'll agree. Apple's acting just plain dumb not offering a Superdrive in the low end MacBook now. And if they continue not to offer one in the lowest end MacBook, then they may have just shot themselves in the foot.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Spoke to a member of the staff at the Regent Street Apple Store earlier in the day and he said that new products are available for sale the next day, in this case Wednesday. Whilst he didn't confirm new notebooks were coming out, obviously they are... makes me wonder if they will ever learn. Hate this whole idea about "we find out the same day as you do".

I thought Steve said (in reference to the new Nanos) that you can expect to see them in stores by the weekend? (in other words, not tomorrow) So, I don't think that new products are always available next day.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road

This sounds completely ridiculous!

Why would Apple announce and show a new MBA now and kill all sales for the next 3 months of the current MBA? Especially right before Christmas in a down economy.

If Apple were going to release a new MBA in January, wouldn't it make a lot more sense for Apple to announce the new MBA at MWSF2009 in early January?

I expect the entire line of Apple Notebooks to be updated at this event with release shortly or immediately after the event.

navier-stokes

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008

Interesting, I asked in there today too and got the usual response... you obviously got a little more out of them.

I can't decide whether to order online or get one from there... (Assuming online will be immediate + delivery time and instore will be Wednesday)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.