Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As of today, Apple has started offering replacement tips for the Apple Pencil in its online store. A set of four Apple Pencil tips can be purchased for $19, with deliveries estimated to take place on Wednesday, March 23 at the earliest.

The $99 Apple Pencil ships with an extra tip in the box, but until today, there was no way to purchase additional tips from Apple. When the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil launched, Apple said it would add replacement tips in the future, a promise it has now made good on.

applepencilreplacementtips-800x298.jpg

Apple Pencil tips can be replaced by unscrewing the old tip, inserting the new tip, and screwing it in place.

The launch of the new Apple Pencil tips comes as Apple debuts the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, a second iPad in the iPad Pro family able to take advantage of the Apple Pencil.

(Thanks, Michael!)

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Apple Pencil Replacement Tips

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
at that price just get a second pencil and use the spare that comes with it

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I've become convinced that this is how Apple prices accessories:

Engineering team: here is our new accessory. It costs $0.X0 to manufacture.

Marketing team: great! Multiply the cost by 20 and that'll be our retail price!

Cook: so it is said.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Dear Apple, I have my own 4-pack of tips for you:

• Make your accessories less expensive.

That will be $19, thank you. Cash or iTunes voucher will do fine.

spiderwebb51

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a good idea if they were to produce some others styles/colors of the pencils? Maybe there would be a few people who would want to have more than one, or would like a silver/black/space gray one instead. I don't know just a thought.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The Apple Store graphic artist should just raise up the one that is second to the right a bit and add a thumb. :D

$20 for rubber tips makes a $10 beer at the ballpark seem reasonable.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
The Apple Store graphic artist should just raise up the one that is second to the right a bit and add a thumb. :D

$20 for rubber tips makes a $10 beer at the ballpark seem reasonable.

No no... It is not just a rubber tips... This thing is designed by Apple, specially made by rubber and it is top quality. Think about it, you get 4 tips for just 20 dollars... It is 5 dollar each... For less than 2 cups of coffee, it allows you draw stuff on that magical glass and metal slab. How can you say it is overpriced.

Remember, Apple is not in business to do charity work, it is in business to charge as much as they could and milking people for every possible way. And also remember, you pay for the quality. Everything Apple made are automatically top quality, so you pay for that quality.

Reactions: R3k

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
BTW: these last a REALLY long time.

I've had my Pencil since about the first of December. I've written hundreds of pages of text since then (studying for PhD qualifying exams), my wife has spent many hours using it with a "coloring book app" and I can't detect even the smallest difference in the tip I'm using.

These can be $20 because I only expect to need to buy them maybe once a year or so. Compared to what I used to spend in high-end pencils / led / erasers... $20 is a steal ;-)

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a good idea if they were to produce some others styles/colors of the pencils? Maybe there would be a few people who would want to have more than one, or would like a silver/black/space gray one instead. I don't know just a thought.

I'm sure that'll come if the iPad Pro proved to be a super popular product.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Hi can this article author or someone else explain the need for tip replacement? I've not used the Pencil before.

Is it because you can lose them? Why? Do you ever need to remove the tip? Do they get loose?

Is it because they break? Or wear out? Is this a feature? Why is Apple not replacing them on warranty?

What's the deal here?

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Hi can this article author or someone else explain the need for tip replacement? I've not used the Pencil before.

Is it because you can lose them? Why? Do you ever need to remove the tip? Do they get loose?

Is it because they break? Or wear out? Is this a feature? Why is Apple not replacing them on warranty?

What's the deal here?
If something can be lost or broken - it will be. It's a question of time.

You can remove it in order to replace with the new one. Why you may need to remove is up to you, in any case with the active usage it will start to wear out one day.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
If something can be lost or broken - it will be. It's a question of time.
Why are they designed to pop out and be easily user replaceable though? maybe there is a certain feature i'm missing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.