Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
The UK plug is big and it can be annoying, but it's also the safest plug design in the world.
Schuko.
Just as safe, and can be plugged in both ways (Lightning!).

Last edited:

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
why isnt there a eu plug with 3 pins? its could be just a compact, yet as secure as the clunky uk one.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I always get annoyed by the UK one. could they be any bigger, like for real who came up with that

It's the safest in the world. It's fused so if something does go wrong you will be safe at your end - unlike other fuses where there is one fuse so if one thing goes wrong everything goes wrong. It's more likely to cut power also to protect you from the electricity.
You cannot poke anything into the plugs without putting something in earth firdt making it safe for babies in the house ( the baby plugs, although you can buy them, cannot be certificated and can pose a risk).
They are also insulated so when you pull the plug out or push the plug in, if you got your hands touching the pins, you cannot push it in far enough to turn on the power as where power does start is insulated.
Only pain in the backside is when you drop them they always point in up and when you wake up in the middle of the night and step on one - lets say you will probobly wake next door also!

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It's the safest in the world. It's fused so if something does go wrong you will be safe at your end - unlike other fuses where there is one fuse so if one thing goes wrong everything goes wrong. It's more likely to cut power also to protect you from the electricity.
You cannot poke anything into the plugs without putting something in earth firdt making it safe for babies in the house ( the baby plugs, although you can buy them, cannot be certificated and can pose a risk).
They are also insulated so when you pull the plug out or push the plug in, if you got your hands touching the pins, you cannot push it in far enough to turn on the power as where power does start is insulated.
Only pain in the backside is when you drop them they always point in up and when you wake up in the middle of the night and step on one - lets say you will probobly wake next door also!
Safer though it may be, that has nothing to do with why UK plugs are the way that they are. The original purpose of sticking the fuse in the plug was to eliminate the need to wire up plugs to a central fuse board, thus reducing the amount of copper wiring required for a given building. (Copper being in short supply following WW2)

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Safer though it may be, that has nothing to do with why UK plugs are the way that they are. The original purpose of sticking the fuse in the plug was to eliminate the need to wire up plugs to a central fuse board, thus reducing the amount of copper wiring required for a given building. (Copper being in short supply following WW2)

Although this is true it should be explained that if this standard hadn't come round then every uk home would have multi sockets with a 2/5/15 amp socket and due to differences in pin size and spacing it would be a mess.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I think Apple failed in this "update." This design could hardly be clunkier. When traveling through Europe or Asia (where it's normal to run into three different jacks) this Apple's "solution" is cumbersome...so many little parts to carry around. All-in-one adaptors have been around for a while...and they're great!

well i cant say i know much about the outlets in asia. i must say i prefer apples solution (not saying it couldnt be more compact). once on a vacation to new york i dropped a similar one you show and it totally shattered and since it relies on springs and stuff its ruined

then i bought one of these and while its volume might be a bit bigger i would argue its more resistant and durable since there is no internal mechanism to break.

411fCgER7VL.jpg

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK

Now we do have proper consumer units in each house we could though in theory be more European and standardise. Although I do like my UK plugs

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
well i cant say i know much about the outlets in asia. i must say i prefer apples solution (not saying it couldnt be more compact). once on a vacation to new york i dropped a similar one you show and it totally shattered and since it relies on springs and stuff its ruined

Considering everything Apple can do, I figure they could manage something durable and springless---it might even be sexy.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
GREAT - the box no longer includes a cable, a cable that costs $21, and they lower the price by $10 - GREAT.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
IIRC, many the British BS 1363 sockets seemed to have power switches at the plug, which IMO is far safer than just live power sockets (tamper resistant or not) but I'm told those are optional and not required by code.

You hardly ever see un-switched sockets in the UK.

The Apple UK iPhone charger is very neat, and probably smaller than most other countries versions (except US) as it is wholly contained within a "standard" plug body.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Also, the higher 230V mains voltage in the UK could be considered less safe.

Without weighing in on which design is safer, it is worth repeating that the 230v wired to every outlet in the UK domestic system demands the failsafe plug design used there. This voltage is found in U.S. homes as well, but is limited to circuits driving high-demand appliances such as electric ovens and clothes driers. The outlets and plugs on these circuits are not the same as the 110v outlets and plugs. They are much larger than an UK 230v outlet and probably equally difficult to short out accidentally.

sockatume

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
They've taken out more than the 30-pin cable: the kit now no longer includes a USB charger at all. It's literally just the mains plugs.

Which is all anybody really bought the kit for anyway.

sockatume

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
The two adaptors with round pins (at 12:00 and 4:00 on the box) look very much like the ones that Verizon ships with their international rental phones. The latter have the correct pin diameter and pitch for the very common German Schuko socket, but the angular "ears" beside the pins prevent the plug from entering the socket. I do hope Apple has actually tried their adaptors in a Schuko socket!
There is a standard plug which the Apple one might fit into (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60906-1 ) but it was not common when I visited in the summer of 2014.

Out of curiosity, did you try both of the similar-looking adaptors? One is a Europlug, and one is Schuko. Although they're practically identical, the dimensions are different. In particular, the Schuko's pins are larger and therefore it's less universal than the Europlug.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK

then i bought one of these and while its volume might be a bit bigger i would argue its more resistant and durable since there is no internal mechanism to break.

That's the model I've got, but without the USB section. I've only used the European sockets (I'm British) but I do find them very loose and wobbly compared to UK ones, and due to the cables coming straight out instead of down they're much easier to trip on.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the individual fuse it's very much outdated. It's design goes back to the days when the fusebox had a whole bunch of high rated circuit fuses which would take longer to blow and were a pain to replace. These days things are different, the electronic circuit breakers detect problems faster, trip faster, cover more safety aspects (earth leakage for example).

The design also leads to abuse - People over-rate the fuses (they'd only keep 13a ones as spares...) and i've seen people wrap broken fuses with silver foil as a temp fix.

In all honesty the design needs an update, the design goes back to the late 1940's. I'm all for the overall shape but it could be smaller and less painfull to step on ;p

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Poor us here in the Netherlands suffering from our much compacter plugs exploding all the time.

Please.

Where does he say the plugs in the Netherlands explode? The point is clear, UK plugs are safer, that doesn't imply all the rest are dangerous.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the individual fuse it's very much outdated. It's design goes back to the days when the fusebox had a whole bunch of high rated circuit fuses which would take longer to blow and were a pain to replace. These days things are different, the electronic circuit breakers detect problems faster, trip faster, cover more safety aspects (earth leakage for example).

The design also leads to abuse - People over-rate the fuses (they'd only keep 13a ones as spares...) and i've seen people wrap broken fuses with silver foil as a temp fix.

In all honesty the design needs an update, the design goes back to the late 1940's. I'm all for the overall shape but it could be smaller and less painfull to step on ;p

The other thing is that it has Shielded pins so you can't Grab the live pin round the Plug.

Also the other genius thing is the design and wiring orders means if you pull out the wire the Positive comes out first, followed by neutral then the earth... in that order... super safe.

As for over-rating the fuses. No accounting for stupidity.

Do agree someone should come up with a real Worldwide design.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
The other thing is that it has Shielded pins so you can't Grab the live pin round the Plug.

Also the other genius thing is the design and wiring orders means if you pull out the wire the Positive comes out first, followed by neutral then the earth... in that order... super safe.

As for over-rating the fuses. No accounting for stupidity.

Do agree someone should come up with a real Worldwide design.

Only if we can globally standardise on voltage and frequency and/or ensure that all devices work globally... both unlikely

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Only if we can globally standardise on voltage and frequency and/or ensure that all devices work globally... both unlikely

Well no. You don't have to standardise the Voltage. As it is most electronics operate 110-240v. And any standard worldwide unit would be designed with that in mind

You would have course have to make sure it works everywhere though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.