Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last Friday, Apple launched a worldwide replacement program for faulty USB-C charge cables produced from April to June of 2015 and sold either as a standalone product or alongside the 12-inch Retina MacBook.

At that time, Apple said it would automatically ship new replacement cables out to customers who supplied a valid mailing address when purchasing or registering their products, and as of today, customers have started receiving new USB-C cables. As shared on reddit, MacBook owner iPhonedo received a package from Apple that included a new USB-C cable and a letter explaining the USB-C cable replacement program.

usbccablereplacement.jpg
Image via iPhonedo
A fedex package was left by my door today. And inside of it, there was a new USB-C cable from Apple. Along with a letter that says some cables may be faulty. Referring to the USB-C Cable replacement program. This is very nice because it saved me from getting a Genius Bar reservation and a trip to the Apple store.
According to Apple, the first USB-C charge cables sold alongside the Retina MacBook can potentially fail due to a design issue. When used, these affected cables may cause the MacBook not to charge or to charge only intermittently when connected to a power adapter. Affected cables can be identified by their labeling, which reads "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China." Redesigned cables have the same text, but also include a serial number.

appleusbccablereplacementprogram.jpg

MacBook owners and customers who purchased a standalone USB-C charging cable can expect to begin receiving their replacement cables directly from Apple starting this week. Customers who believe they are eligible for a replacement but have not received a replacement cable or want to check on their status can contact Apple Support or visit the Genius Bar at an Apple retail store.

Apple launched the Retina MacBook in April of 2015, so problematic cables were sold for approximately two months before Apple introduced a redesigned version. Apple will replace affected USB-C charge cables until June 8, 2018.

Article Link: Customers Start Receiving Replacement USB-C Cables From Apple

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
So if all my usb-c cables have serial numbers (bought some extra pairs), does that mean they don't need replacing?

The instructions from the Apple announcement are clear:
Affected cables have “Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China.” stamped on them. New, redesigned cables include a serial number after that text. See images [in the announcement].
It sounds like your extra cables should be OK. Anyone not having a serial number on the cable should read that announcement to see how to get their replacement.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Am still waiting for mine. Apple support told me that I should receive mine by the end of this month.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
Just got mine. I didn't ask for a new one, but they sent me one.
For the life of me, I can't find any markings on either the old one or the new one at all... No "Designed by Apple..." or serial number or anything else.

*shrug*

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Apple said it would automatically ship new replacement cables out to customers who supplied a valid mailing address when purchasing or registering their products, and as of today, customers have started receiving new USB-C cables.

What if you moved since registering? I find it a little strange that they are automatically sent.

This is nice if you still live at the same address, but I can picture that some people have moved,

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Where is the apology in the letter? Is it really too hard to demonstrate respect for customers by showing contrition?

Where is the 5$ goodwill gift into owner's iTunes accounts? Is it really too expensive to demonstrate contrition and compensate for inconveniencing customers?

As written elsewhere in the site, as a family of Apple fans, users and shareholders, I can't believe how tin-eared and amateur Apple's recall management is.

Apple's recent recalls have been so poorly managed, that they seem as to have been designed by the legal department to satisfy minimal legal requirements as opposed to ensure tracibility, completion rate, customer safety, customer satisfaction and to build a reputation for mythic customer support.

Reactions: DonRivella

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
What if you moved since registering? I find it a little strange that they are automatically sent.

This is nice if you still live at the same address, but I can picture that some people have moved,

As noted in my previous critique, this is one more aspect of Apple's incompetence in conducting a watertight recall campaign. Apple likely has the most comprehensive customer contact database of any company on earth given devices connect to iCloud and iCloud is connected to the owner's email address.

In the case of 20W charger adaptor switch an electrocution risk, Apple didn't leverage this database, it didn't pop up a message box on users devices with instructions on how to do/request an exchange, it merely did a press release and put a link in its website.

Envested

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016
Where is the apology in the letter? Is it really too hard to demonstrate respect for customers by showing contrition?

Where is the 5$ goodwill gift into owner's iTunes accounts? Is it really too expensive to demonstrate contrition and compensate for inconveniencing customers?

As written elsewhere in the site, as a family of Apple fans, users and shareholders, I can't believe how tin-eared and amateur Apple's recall management is.

Apple's recent recalls have been so poorly managed, that they seem as to have been designed by the legal department to satisfy minimal legal requirements as opposed to ensure tracibility, completion rate, customer safety, customer satisfaction and to build a reputation for mythic customer support.

You want compensation for being incomvienced, with money, when you weren't inconvenienced. Let alone you want a gift? LOL!

Cwolk

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
NJ, USA

Apple is automatically shipping one out to you for free- they arent even forcing you to bring the cable into a store. Most companies don't give you a "goodwill" gift, and when they do, its only normally because they meesed up while trying to fix the problem. To me, it seems like an average or even above average replacement service.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Maybe I missed it, but what is defective with the old cables? Are they shorting out? Breaking too easily? Being held wrong?
Sometimes they don't charge the MacBook. There was a story on Friday. It doesn't appear to be a safety issue.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
So Apple said they'd send replacement cables out and they actually followed thru?

Totally newsworthy

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
As noted in my previous critique, this is one more aspect of Apple's incompetence in conducting a watertight recall campaign. Apple likely has the most comprehensive customer contact database of any company on earth given devices connect to iCloud and iCloud is connected to the owner's email address.

In the case of 20W charger adaptor switch an electrocution risk, Apple didn't leverage this database, it didn't pop up a message box on users devices with instructions on how to do/request an exchange, it merely did a press release and put a link in its website.

If you moved, you can request one from Apple. There's no safety concern with the cable, the defective ones simply charge intermittently. If someone has a defective cable, their first impulse would be to contact Apple or research the problem. In both cases they'd find out about the replacement program. The cables they are mailing are done out of convenience, not necessity. Most companies do absolutely nothing to inform their customers of stuff like this. You mistake your own entitlement for a fault of Apple's. Could they handle this differently? Sure, but there's nothing inherently wrong with this route.

PS: There were 12 cases of electrical shock total in the adaptor recall you mentioned, it was largely precautionary. Furthermore, guess what a press release is for? The press. Who then inform the public, that's their job. Your "pop-up" solution would ignore anyone who bought a used device, or require Apple to keep a lot more user data on people than they actually do.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
You want compensation for being incomvienced, with money, when you weren't inconvenienced. Let alone you want a gift? LOL!

I don't want anything as I don't have one of the affected macs. I'm thinking about what somebody does when they screw-up and make amends.
[doublepost=1455679256][/doublepost]
If you moved, you can request one from Apple. There's no safety concern with the cable, the defective ones simply charge intermittently. If someone has a defective cable, their first impulse would be to contact Apple or research the problem. In both cases they'd find out about the replacement program. The cables they are mailing are done out of convenience, not necessity. Most companies do absolutely nothing to inform their customers of stuff like this. You mistake your own entitlement for a fault of Apple's. Could they handle this differently? Sure, but there's nothing inherently wrong with this route.

PS: There were 12 cases of electrical shock total in the adaptor recall you mentioned, it was largely precautionary. Furthermore, guess what a press release is for? The press. Who then inform the public, that's their job. Your "pop-up" solution would ignore anyone who bought a used device, or require Apple to keep a lot more user data on people than they actually do.

I'm not sure entitled to anything on the Mac, and although I have about 6 affected mains adapters, I'm hardly going to live or die if I see a goodwill gift or not, I'm talking about doing the right thing vis a vis customers.

Re the 12 cases of shock, that's not precautionary, that's "thank your lucky stars it was only shock". That there were no cases of electrocution (but, given settlement NDAs, how would we know?), is only due to dumb luck and not wanting to play the odds (which with product nonconformances the odds stack against a manufacturer as time increases.)

Press? Who reads anymore? Dead channel if you are trying to maximize contact.

Re your reply to pop-up idea displays a spectrum of ignorance about how a used device is commissioned by the new owner. AppleID is based on and tied to an email address, hello? Apple could easily create a pop-up that says "Dear Anonymous Owner", etc.; such a feature would be totally independent of the email address.

Apple keeps a lot of contact information on owners. Just watch some old WWDC footage, or quarterly conference calls, and see/hear Apple management speak about how much financial (CC) information Apple has on file.

And for all your apologies, you left out commentary about the lack of an apology to customers that were inconvenienced (and a defect inconveniences everybody, even if they have to just open the free replacement received in the mail, it steals a person's time - and it opens people's minds to the idea that Apple quality is slipping.)

Last edited:

AWeber3030

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Columbus, OH
Anybody know for those of us who chose the option for in store pickup when the new MacBook came out, if Apple will mail out a new cable or not? My billing address is still listed on the order invoice?

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
Apple's expensive cables have been poorly designed for a long time now. I can think of a number of equally-priced/cheaper alternatives that'll give you far superior longevity. I can honestly say that I am never surprised when my Apple-provided cables fail me, so long as it isn't my MBP's power adapter. That's the only one you can't legitimately buy from third-parties... Luckily, I've only had issues with that once!

Reactions: S G and Wowereit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.