Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why would I send it to those people? Because it is very very annoying and because how many people use it in jest.

Not sure what would be a typical response time for a tech company but I think 1 week a temporary patch should have been released. Anyone think that is unreasonable?

If you follow microsoft's patches of zero day vulnerabilities, of which this isn't, it can take them a while to get a patch out.

Saying your going to spread the misery on a public forum ain't cool.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Because it's their fault that a bug - a software malfunction that is UNINTENTIONAL, the result of humans being imperfect, and UNDISCOVERED - has been found...

DOH. Engage brain before typing.

While obviously unintentional, this very annoying bug has affected millions thanks to the media coverage. So if I have to put up with my friends, colleagues, and family sending this out in playfulness, so should they!

And why Timmy and Jonny? Tim because he is the CEO and his dancing ability, and Jonny because of all those annoying videos he puts out for new products. And if devoted Apple fan boys can't tell between jest and criticism, I guess we can keep expecting more pious posts.

Thou shall not use Apple's name in banter!

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
i'm actually very surprise Apple has labelled this as a "feature" yet. just update the product page and add it as fast way to restart your phone.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So this issue implies two things....

1. Apple doesn't do random data input testing (known as fuzzing) to the degree that it needs to.
2. Somebody else does.

Which is a bit worrying, because fuzzing is a technique used to find security problems.

Microsoft has the same problem with Skype. So, Microsoft doesn't test to the degree that it needs to?

I bet we'll find out other apps with the same issue in the coming days. It's not that testing isn't done - it's that you can't test an infinite number of possibilities. I bet you've never worked at developing and testing software? You design test after test after test, but things always slip through the cracks, because you can't forsee everything. Like, you tested your code for wifi being down, but did you test it for wifi being down when it's also midnight on a leap day? It's the innumerable combinations which cause bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.