Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I have two Apple IDs - one for iCloud (me.com email address) and one for media/subscriptions (Gmail email address). I have a 200GB storage plan attached to my iCloud account and my Apple Music / other subscriptions are attached to my Gmail account.

My 200GB storage is full so I’m trying to sign up for the Apple One individual plan, which includes 50GB of storage. Based on this support article my expectation was I would have a total of 250GB storage by doing so (“If the iCloud storage included in Apple One is less than your current plan you will keep both your current iCloud+ plan and the iCloud storage in Apple One”), however that hasn’t happened.

I’ve since found this support article which contradicts the one above: “If the iCloud storage included in Apple One is less than your current plan, you will keep your current storage plan and the iCloud storage in Apple One will be applied to the Apple ID you use for media subscriptions. If you have applied the iCloud storage included in Apple One to the Apple ID you use for iCloud, and then buy additional iCloud storage later, the storage included with Apple One will be moved back to the Apple ID you use for media subscriptions”.

Which is it? Does anybody else have 2 Apple IDs for iCloud/subscriptions who has managed to do this? I’ve contacted Apple support but so far have gotten nowhere.

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I'm in the same boat. I have 200 GB and with family sharing already reached the limit. Unfortunately Apple only thought around 1 corner while designing Apple One. Yes you can apply the storage from Apple One to your iCloud Adress (or another family member when using family sharing) but you cannot extend the storage with another plan. This only works if you use one Apple ID for purchases and iCloud. Its about time that Apple manages it to merge two Apple IDs together into one.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
After going around in circles with Apple support for 2 weeks that was my conclusion too.

The world’s richest corporation still can’t figure out how to build a decent cloud service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.