Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Is there such thing as having too many employees? That store would look a little less crowded haha.

I've been to China a couple of times (my wife is from there) and one thing that struck me is how many more people each business employs versus what you see in the US. I guess it's a combination of cheaper labor and brisk growth that allows it.

iPadThai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2010
The chinese input in iOS and OS X 10.5+ is just amazing. It's perhaps THE BEST method of input and there are no other systems out there (3rd party even) that can match Apple's chinese input recognition software. It's so good, the iPhone and OS X computers is what the chinese are after.

graysunderland

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What is really funny for me is that there was absolutely NO new product launch or any discount available on the opening day of this store (as I said before), and some people still started waiting in lines since Thursday night. That just cracks me up. Well, maybe you could argue that the blue shirt gift is a new product.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
That store is huge! and thats a massive amount of employees! i wish they would do the same in the states, you know how packed those stores get??? not to mention better availability at the genious bar would be great too! :p

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
That store is huge! and thats a massive amount of employees! i wish they would do the same in the states, you know how packed those stores get???

I wonder if the China stores are packed with customers, or with tweens updating their facebook pages with "I'm in the Apple store being cool" like in the US.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
With that many employees in the picture, I wonder if its another store open 24-hrs day. Demand definitely at another level in asian markets compared to the US. Wonder if they had some nice giveaways for the first customers. :)

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
What has really been amazing the last 5-7+ years is how Apple is redefining every aspect of business. Every aspect, from domestic to international, quality to brand loyalty, profitability to organization wide discipline. It's all just done so well, even with astounding growth. Create excitement -> obsess over the user experience and profit. Don't worry about being first to market, focus on being best in market. People complain the newest macbook doesn't have the absolute latest CPU or GPU etc, but Apple seems to value the user experience, from the moment you are considering a purchase, to the moment you are making your 20th purchase.

I'm a newer user/investor (2009), but I keep seeing this amazing success that leaves the competition looking...blah. I wouldn't consider myself a "fan boy" or whatever that is, but I do enjoy the products I own. It's rather exciting to watch how good they are at what they do. I don't wish "death" to the competition, but tech moves fast, and everything Apple has been doing has been with a focus on the future where others are still thinking market share vs innovation. It's "how can we compete with Apples tablet" and not "what makes Apples tablet enjoyable".

If I was a tech CEO, would I want to create a tablet, or would I want to create a market? I think I would prefer the latter, because the ipad is not a tablet, it is its own market. It's a "thing" that has captured people in a way that is different than trying to create a better shoe. You could say the same for the iphone. I own an iphone, and I don't care about the status of it, but I always hated phones, and now I like mine... I don't own an ipad, but I know that people don't want a tablet, or a slate, they want an ipad.

Rambling post, but Apple has created at least a dozen good business cases to study for future classrooms.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
I think it is fantastic, the store looks great, and has created a lot of jobs!

I still don't know how a store this big can work in China... how can so many Chinese afford Apple products? In the USA, they are very expensive... easily 2x or more of a similar product made by other companies (ie Macbooks)

I guess the products are priced cheaper there, but if so, I wonder just how much cheaper?

China is the future mate, the West is in decline :cool:

akad

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
There have been an extremely high number of China apple store openings! I wonder what the ratio is for store openings here in the US.

gmoney8869

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Hey I live in Shanghai and I just registered to correct a few incorrect statements made in this thread.

1. China, well more accurately Shanghai and Hong Kong, has a very large middle and upper class that LOVES Apple products. I'm posting this from an consulting office full of entry-level Chinese workers right out of college, and almost everyone has an iPhone 4. Skilled wages are not that low. Apple is, believe it or not, actually more popular here than in the US.

2. Someone said that iPhones must cost less here, and then someone else said that they cost the same. Both wrong. An iPhone 4 here actually costs MORE than in the US. Even with the much lower average income, convert the RMB price to $USD and it comes out about 25% more expensive.

If that confuses you, you don't know Shanghai culture. People here spend TONS on luxury items. A huge portion of their income. So much money has flowed into this city in the past decade or so that is has affected people psychologically. There's a huge gap between the middle/upper and the poor, and because locally made products tend to be very cheap, the #1 status symbol is Western products, especially American. Everything from McDonalds (considered a medium quality restaurant here, even though local food is so much better) to designer clothes has a jacked up price because of the Western brand name. The income in many families here has skyrocketed as of late, but the cost of living has stayed low, so people blow their cash on Apple products.

3. It is true that unskilled labor jobs like Apple store employee make almost NOTHING here. That's why they can afford to hire so many. Labor here is extraordinarily cheap. For example, its considered unusual here to not have someone come clean your house for you, even in middle-lower income households. Department stores have staffed demonstration counters for almost every product. Virtually every restaurant in the city has delivery, even McDonalds.

And just generally for people who don't know whats going on in China, Shanghai is so rich it takes weeks for the shock to wear off. From the amazing restaurants, to the lavish bars and nightclubs, to the constant sight of Ferrari's and Porsche's, to the grand party's almost every night ( I went to one with Dwayne Wade a few weeks ago), this city is the Mecca of consumer culture. To call it communist is hilarious.

However, travel too far from Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Beijing (which is the poorest of the 3 by far) and you enter a truly 3rd world country. People say China is the future, but the country is only tenuously held together. This is China's chance to take control of the world, but their success is far from guaranteed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.