Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has ordered a large number of capacitative button components from a Taiwan supplier that are allegedly for use in the upcoming iPhone 16 series, claims a new report out of Asia.

unbox-therapy-15-buttons.jpg
Image credit: Unbox Therapy

According to the Economic Daily News, Advanced Semiconductor Engineering won the order, which is said to include system-in-a-package (SIP) modules that will be used to integrate capcative components with two Taptic Engine motors, one on either side of the iPhone.

The claim in the report is that Apple will replace the existing physical buttons on both sides of the iPhone 15 with capacitive versions that will provide iPhone 16 users with haptic feedback. The latter type of button detects pressure and emulates the press of a physical button via a haptic (or Taptic) engine which generates vibrations.

Apple may well have ordered the buttons in preparation for future production plans, but this does not necessarily mean that they are destined for use in this year's iPhone 16 models.

The earliest known prototypes of the ‌iPhone 16‌ were thought to include haptic power and volume buttons. Project Bongo, as it was known internally, was a redesign of the volume and power buttons on the iPhone 15. However, it was scrapped in 2023 following unresolved technical issues, according to MacRumors' sources. After the cancelation of the Bongo project, Apple moved back to mechanical buttons for the ‌iPhone 16‌.

As a result, most rumors suggest that iPhone 16 models will have all-mechanical buttons, and this includes the rumored addition of a fourth button. According to The Information, Apple will add a new "Capture Button" to all iPhone 16 models, but the button is expected to be mechanical rather than capacitive, and yet it will be able to respond to pressure and touch.

The button will be used for taking photos and videos, and iPhone users will reportedly be able to zoom in and out by swiping left and right on the button, focus with a light press, and activate a recording with a more forceful press.

Today's report claims the capacitive components will enter volume production in the third quarter of this year, which is unusually late in terms of Apple's typical initial iPhone production run, so the order may be for the iPhone 17 lineup rather than this year's upcoming models. That said, as we saw with the ‌iPhone 15‌ series, things can change fairly far into the process, so watch this space.

Article Link: Apple Orders Capacitive Button Components Allegedly for iPhone 16

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if the iPhone is going through the Touch Bar era of the Mac when Apple was trying to differentiate the Mac through gimmicks. Of course, the true innovation for Macs didn't arrive until Apple Silicon.

Make everything touch. Remove all physical buttons. Reduce tactile feel.

Last edited:

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
I wonder if the iPhone is going through the Touch Bar era of the Mac where Apple was trying to differentiate the Mac through gimmicks.

Make everything touch. Remove all physical buttons. Reduce tactile feel.
It was a great way to force people to upgrade their faulty devices.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
The iPhone has matured and Apple’s cash cow isn’t producing as much milk these days. So they have to iterate things for the sake of “new” until they can find a new product to replace it (and appease shareholders). This makes the rumor cycle very dry.

Even this tech nerd that wanted new stuff all the time is on a 3-yr iPhone cycle and a 5-yr Mac cycle.

jb310

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2017
I don't know if iPhones would genuinely benefit from them or not, but capacitive buttons just make me of early-2010s Android phones. 😅

AppleTree01

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2022
I don't care much for any waterproofing gains this may bring, but if it brings more physical controls to the phone that's a great perk. For example, this button potentially allows scrubbing while a video player is open. Another example is the ability to vertically scroll a webpage/article as you read it without blocking a portion of the screen with your thumb. I would also appreciate a physical control to control actions in Safari such as "back", "forward", "previous/next tab" as these are all minor inconveniences to use on a pro max screen today.

Oh and I just thought of another, imagine if the front camera tracked your eyes similar to the Vision Pro and there's a button which "taps" the location of your current focus. With that you would be able to use your phone with hardly any finger movement aside from keyboard usage

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
So the big innovation this year is that they have added another button?

Lame.
Actually, they'll just be replacing the buttons with crap capacitive buttons, reminiscent of the insanely horrible home button on the iPhone 7.

I'm so glad I upgraded to the 15. Don't plan on updating for five years or so. Hopefully, by then, they'll get rid of the capacitive crap and return to actual buttons.

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast
I will say that apples track record with capacitive buttons has been stellar. Their trackpads, and solid-state home-buttons, have been insanely well-engineered.

Just because of that I am hesitant to criticize before we all see exactly how new ones are implemented.

Though I’m not sure I love the idea of a new button in the place that the fattest part of my hand holds the phone, as a right-handed individual. If it’s flush and super good at detecting/rejecting accidental touches I think it could be good.

But I swear to god if I get even one incorrect input reaction from that button when I’m trying to do something else, I will be very annoyed and question the fundamental idea.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Isn't this going to pretty much make cases that protect the buttons unusable? I never liked cases that just have holes for the buttons; dirt and such get in there and it looks like **** after a while. But if the buttons are capacitive, mechanical means of pushing them won't work. :(

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I am not sure how I feel about losing all physical buttons on the device, won't putting a case on the device turn it back into a physical buttons? I don't know many people that go with a naked iPhone.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Will be interesting to see which version ends up replacing them all with these. Considering how long ago the finger scanner was replaced (before faceID I believe), I thought this moment would have happened long ago.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Will have to wait and see on this one. Seems some promising features possible, but also some huge inconveniences as well. Hope this year isn't one of those experimental years like the Touch Bar for function keys. Had promise, but in delivery just missed something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.