Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnchart

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Can someone please tell me exactly how many passwords the whole Apple system, including iCloud, has. Having bad time keeping track of them. Almost seems like they change by by themselves. What I am looking for is ONE PASSWORD FOR EVERYTHING APPLE, including apps, store, forums, etc., etc.
When I try to change things to one password, get all kinds of error messages.
Also, would like to get ONE APPLE ID for everything.

Thanks for help.

John H.

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
I have one Apple ID and one password which I use for :

Apple Support Site
iTunes Match
iTunes Store
iCloud
Find my Friends
Find iPhone
App store
Home Sharing

Isn't this how it's supposed to work?

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
Yeah, this was confusing for me when making the switch to Mac. You have a general password for your computer as admin, then the Apple ID for iTunes, App store, iCloud, etc.

johnchart

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
The problem I have is when I try to create a universal password I get message "the password has been used before". I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD NEEDED WHEN REBOOTING, ETC. BUT WHEN I TRY TO USE IT FOR UNIVERSAL PASSWORD I GET ERROR "THIS PASSWORD HAS BEEN USED BEFORE CHOOSE ANOTHER". When trying to change password in apps i get error message "password must contain at least one letter". The password I was trying to use had 8 letters in it. Frustrating!

bdbolin

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
Really? You can't remember one Apple ID password and one computer login password?

You realize there is an app called 1Password which stores all your passwords so that you don't need to remember them all... also has auto login for website passwords.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The problem I have is when I try to create a universal password I get message "the password has been used before". I DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD NEEDED WHEN REBOOTING, ETC. BUT WHEN I TRY TO USE IT FOR UNIVERSAL PASSWORD I GET ERROR "THIS PASSWORD HAS BEEN USED BEFORE CHOOSE ANOTHER". When trying to change password in apps i get error message "password must contain at least one letter". The password I was trying to use had 8 letters in it. Frustrating!

That sounds like a problem unrelated to Apple.

You have _one_ password for your Mac; more precisely one password per Mac user (you wouldn't want to give your password to other users of the Mac, so they have different passwords). The Mac lets you reuse passwords, doesn't care how safe they are (but it displays how safe it is when you create a new one).

Next, you have _one_ password for your Apple ID. And you really, really should have only one Apple ID, because that is what holds all the Apple related things that belong to you together.

Of course applications, websites and so on can ask you to create passwords as well, and there is nothing that Apple could do about it.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Well then quite clearly you have used it before. Not too sure what you can't understand. You have password X on your computer, password Y on your Apple ID, but have used password X previously on your Apple ID. You therefore cannot re-use password X on your Apple ID.

And if you have multiple Apple IDs, that's your own fault for creating more than one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.