Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

producerlawson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
York/Birmingham
Forgive me for asking, with Apple Pay now in the UK.. can I really use it at any contactless terminal that doesn't even support AP officially?

I only ask because the guys in my local Sainsbury's have made me paranoid about the whole things. I was fine until a few weeks ago when I tried to use my card to pay contactless and the supervisors for the self checkouts came running over screaming at me; telling me I couldn't do that. Now I just don't want to look a fool aha.

p.s. I'm sure you can, but my explanation above is messing with me.

Thanks!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I would just make the comment that I'm using  Pay to the employee as I proceeded with paying.

You didn't look the fool - the employee did with their actions !

I've been noticing the  pay signs in various places.

I remember when Contactless Payments were rolled out and quite a few shop staff weren't aware how they worked and one didn't even know if the payment device was turned on.

Pay with confidence.

xotigu

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Forgive me for asking, with Apple Pay now in the UK.. can I really use it at any contactless terminal that doesn't even support AP officially?

I only ask because the guys in my local Sainsbury's have made me paranoid about the whole things. I was fine until a few weeks ago when I tried to use my card to pay contactless and the supervisors for the self checkouts came running over screaming at me; telling me I couldn't do that. Now I just don't want to look a fool aha.

p.s. I'm sure you can, but my explanation above is messing with me.

Thanks!

Did you use a credit card during your visit on Sainsbury? That was also the case happened to me, I used a credit card other than the card the salesguy mentioned and when after I tapped the card, the supervisor then told to the salesguy that he shouldn't have accepted the card.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Technically yes, you can. I have used it even in Mexico, for instance, where apple pay has not been officially introduced but a number of businesses do have contactless capable POS terminals. Now, if the guy at the store told you you were not allowed to use your contactless card, that means one of two things: either he doesn't know they can accept any means of contactless payments including apple pay once they've got contactless readers at the store, or the store specifically didn't want to accept a contactless payment from your specific bank at the time for some reason of their own. Businesses do that sometimes. In the US, for example, Walmart, CVS and Target stores keep the contactless reader on their POS terminals turned off intentionally to favor other payment systems such as CVS's own QR code based CVS pay or Walmart's Walmart pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.