Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Every now and then when I go to unlock my iPhone the screen is lit and I am on the ApplePay screen which says touch id to pay. Other times it's on the screen which lists my passes and Apple Pay cards.

No, I'm not accidently unlocking the iPhone and opening the Wallet.app.

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
That's because the iPhone detects that you are near an NFC reader and so the iPhone automatically activates Wallet for you convenience.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
That's because the iPhone detects that you are near an NFC reader and so the iPhone automatically activates Wallet for you convenience.

I'm not though. On all the occasions this has happened I've never been near an NFC reader.

Last edited:

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Every now and then when I go to unlock my iPhone the screen is lit and I am on the ApplePay screen which says touch id to pay. Other times it's on the screen which lists my passes and Apple Pay cards.

No, I'm not accidently unlocking the iPhone and opening the Wallet.app.
Happens to me. It's caused by double pressing the home button by mistake.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
It is a nice feature if you need to "pre-authenticate" Apple Pay.
Like if you are at the drive through at Panera Bread and want to use Apple Pay.
Double click, scan your finger, then reach out and put the phone next to the NFC reader.

Notice if you double click with a non registered finger, it will prompt you with the fingerprint animation. Then it will tell you to hold near reader to pay.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I think my CAR might trigger Apple Pay some how. I have a keyless ignition with push button start. The door unlocks as I grab the handle, and starts as I press the button. I don't take the key fob from my pocket. I suppose that there is some NFC technology involved.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I think my CAR might trigger Apple Pay some how. I have a keyless ignition with push button start. The door unlocks as I grab the handle, and starts as I press the button. I don't take the key fob from my pocket. I suppose that there is some NFC technology involved.
I'm thinking your car is RF. NFC is a very short range technology. In fact, just an inch to the side of the reader and it may not pick it up at all.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
The whole point of the double click feature, is for if you want to use a different card from your default payment card or if you have gift cards etc.

Otherwise holding it near an NFC will use your default payment option and just ask for a finger print....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The whole point of the double click feature, is for if you want to use a different card from your default payment card or if you have gift cards etc.

Otherwise holding it near an NFC will use your default payment option and just ask for a finger print....
Or if you want to bring up something else from your wallet like a boarding pass, a ticket, a membership card, a rewards card, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blujelly

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I'm thinking your car is RF. NFC is a very short range technology. In fact, just an inch to the side of the reader and it may not pick it up at all.
Definitely very short range. At a Walgreen's I was pointing my iPhone at the screen of the NFC reader and getting no response. The clerk told me that I needed to point it a couple of inches above, at the "Tap-to-Pay" icon. Apple Pay worked fine once I did that.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
I wouldn't worry too much about making a mistaken purchase. You need to be very close to the terminal for it to activate (inches).

If something else is sending interference triggering the NFC to turn on, there is no backend anyway so you can't pay for anything even if you touched your fingerprint. There's no harm basically.

It sounds like a general NFC hardware glitch than an Apple Pay issue though.

lionsy

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2010
It's an incredibly useful feature for store cards, like Tesco and Nectar and stuff like that, at my local tesco, I double click the home button, scan my clubcard and then it's already pre-authed to pay.

Reactions: mconk

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I've never really tried it but does Apple Pay automatically detect NFC if my phone is locked? I have always double tapped the home button and scanned my finger, then placed it on the terminal. Is that how everyone does it? Or am I missing a special trick?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I've never really tried it but does Apple Pay automatically detect NFC if my phone is locked? I have always double tapped the home button and scanned my finger, then placed it on the terminal. Is that how everyone does it? Or am I missing a special trick?
Yes it does...https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201239

Place your finger on the home button (without pressing), hold phone a couple inches above reader...done.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Yes double clicking the home button pre-authorises the device for up to 60 seconds.

Think there may be a bug within iOS 9.3 as I tried it at a store today (two different cards) and both refused to work whatsoever.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
So... If I have my thumbprints as my TouchID fingerprints how do you double click to bring up?
When I try it the phone just unlocks instead. Looking for an answer as my main unlock fingers are thumb / index.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
So... If I have my thumbprints as my TouchID fingerprints how do you double click to bring up?
When I try it the phone just unlocks instead. Looking for an answer as my main unlock fingers are thumb / index.
Quickly!!:D Works for me. But, why bother with double clicking, when you can do it with no click at all.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Fun fact: if you hold an iPhone with Apple Pay activated close to a beats pill xl, it'll also trigger Apple Pay. Many things trigger AP to display, like some mentioned above.

The beats pill xl has NFC to allow for immediate pairing between the device and specifically android phones. You simply hold an NCC enabled android device to the beats pill xl, and it pairs/connects to Bluetooth immediately. On an iPhone, however, this simply triggers Apple Pay.Wish apple would incorporate this feature into iOS! 'Tap to pair' is not only convenient, but also way easier for the everyday user.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.