Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
TSB are preparing to go live

Just got this email.

92b7da79c0e80524bd412cf0be352f81.jpg

Reactions: iGeek2014

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
That's a pretty good deal.

It certainly is. I shop at Morrison's (because they support Apple Pay) and instead of 1% on my shopping I'll get 3% now.

And now TSB are finally getting around to Apple Pay the contactless offer of 5% cash back between now and December 31st 2016 is great for those without a Santander card.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Took them long enough, especially since most of their back IT systems are shared with Lloyds and they launched apple pay in September.
I thought the systems were totally separate now. As they are separate banks.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
It certainly is. I shop at Morrison's (because they support Apple Pay) and instead of 1% on my shopping I'll get 3% now.

And now TSB are finally getting around to Apple Pay the contactless offer of 5% cash back between now and December 31st 2016 is great for those without a Santander card.

Might be time to start looking at another bank or at least open another account while these cash back offers are around.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Just had an email from Tesco - Clubcard credit card is getting it soon as well.

Just a shame stores outside of London don't support contactless payments yet!

It is about time though... I use the Community Matters forum there and people have been giving them a hard time about not supporting it!

Might be time to start looking at another bank or at least open another account while these cash back offers are around.

That's why I've opened a TSB account. My annual fee will jump to £36 next year with Santander but my earnings (bar transport and fuel) won't be capped like newer customers' will be

Last edited by a moderator:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I thought they had the £30 limit - this has to be tested
I'm still not completely convinced it's in all branches as the towcester one's self scanning software has been updated so you don't have to reswipe your payment card at the end. Brackley still does (but I rarely spend more than a tenner in there).

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Spent £200.86 in Waitrose this morning on the watch. My quest to work out their upper limit goes on :)
I am surprised, either their staff are not well trained or branches differ. I have been told every time I got over 30 quid that I would have to use my card, will try self service next time.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
As mentioned previously Tesco Bank are to enable Apple Pay on their credit cards soon with debit cards to follow next year...

Went into my local Tesco Metro in Derby today and noticed they've updated their terminals.

Same one I used at the Metro in Kensington so it looks like they are finally getting around to enabling contactless payments outside of Central London.

And with the story on the main page about AmEx enabling AP in Canada tomorrow I wonder if TSB will go "live" as well?

MLJH

macrumors member
May 2, 2015
Newbury
I registered my new MBNA credit card today and was told that anywhere that has the contactless logo will have a spending limit of £30, where as if it shows the Apple Pay logo the limit will be whatever is avilable on my credit card! I could buy a small car using Apple Pay!

azing

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
The North
I registered my new MBNA credit card today and was told that anywhere that has the contactless logo will have a spending limit of £30, where as if it shows the Apple Pay logo the limit will be whatever is avilable on my credit card! I could buy a small car using Apple Pay!

I thought this was the case too, but after trying to spend over £30 at Wilko (an Apple Pay 'partner' listed on Apple's website that displays the Apple Pay symbol at checkout) the machine would only accept Chip and PIN.

The only places I've managed to use Apple Pay for transactions over the usual contactless limit are Nandos, Apple, Pret and Giraffe.

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

That's strictly not true and you were told wrong. Apple Pay is no different then regular contactless in that respect. The limits vary. A small number of stores have no limit for Apple Pay like the Apple stores, Pret A Manger, Nandos, Waitrose and Marks & Spencers. Most other retailers impose a £20 or £30 limit.

Last edited:

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
That's strictly not true and you were told wrong. Apple Pay is no different then regular contactless in that respect. The limits vary. A small number of stores have no limit for Apple Pay like the Apple stores, Pret A Manger, Nandos, Waitrose and Marks & Spencers. Most other retailers impose a £20 or £30 limit.
Yep - it's dependent on the retailer and upgrading the software.
BP are rumoured to be upping theirs this month. That'll be another move forward to leave my bank cards at home.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
I wish the pumps at petrol stations had nfc and allowed for Apple Pay. Would be so much easier. Same goes for car park where you have to pay your ticket at a machine or on exit.

MLJH

macrumors member
May 2, 2015
Newbury
I wish the pumps at petrol stations had nfc and allowed for Apple Pay. Would be so much easier. Same goes for car park where you have to pay your ticket at a machine or on exit.
Totally agree, it would make it so much easier. I'm surprised that car parks haven't started accepting it to be honest.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Totally agree, it would make it so much easier. I'm surprised that car parks haven't started accepting it to be honest.
Another agree. NCP have recently taken over a car park I use at least once or twice a week so I emailed them about when the machines would be upgraded (won't even take £20 notes and 95% of the £1 coins in circulation), and asked if they'd be including contactless, I've sadly not had a coherent reply yet (they claim the car park already takes cards, pity they're getting confused with another NCP about half a mile away.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.