Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
Yeah some of them look it as well! haha

373794865_a4306befc6_b.jpg

Don't miss them one bit haha!

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
That means I'll have my Lloyds Bank and TSB Visa Debit cards for Apple Pay as well as Tesco Bank, Santander and (eventually) Barclaycard.

Tesco Bank only supports ApplePay on their credit card? Current account is still coming soon, or did I miss something.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Sorry I omitted credit cards from the latter part of my reply.

At some point Tesco Bank will support Visa Debit cards too for Apple Pay.

That's ok, just thought I missed something. Quite like my Tesco current account, it'll be a welcome addiction to ApplePay for me. Probably my 2nd most used current account.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I've set up a new NatWest account, as fed up with HSBC, but the Apple Pay verify option only gives the option to Phone and when calling, they said about needing a card reader to set up, anyone got any ideas about that?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

I have ordered one. My post was more about why I only have the option to verify by phone. My HSBC has option for SMS message

ETA: I have called up to verify again, this time they didn't say about using a card reader. Still, would like the option of SMS verification like with HSBC. Thought someone had said in this thread about NatWest did SMS verification.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I have ordered one. My post was more about why I only have the option to verify by phone. My HSBC has option for SMS message

ETA: I have called up to verify again, this time they didn't say about using a card reader. Still, would like the option of SMS verification like with HSBC. Thought someone had said in this thread about NatWest did SMS verification.

I believe this is because it's a new account. I opened a NW joint account with my wife and both of use had to call to activate :apple:Pay, for the first time. I have since been able to add the cards to other devices and activate by SMS.

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
Out of all the people I've added to Wallet for Apple Pay Nationwide are the only ones (so far) to allow me to verify with a call, SMS or email.

Lloyds and Halifax also gave me a all three options.

Last edited:

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I was in Tesco's today at one of them self service thingys, No Apple pay, they had an option for contactless but it was greyed out so you couldn't use that either.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I believe this is because it's a new account. I opened a NW joint account with my wife and both of use had to call to activate :apple:Pay, for the first time. I have since been able to add the cards to other devices and activate by SMS.

Ah, so it's definitely just due to it being a new account. Good. Wonder how long it is before I can use SMS though.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I was in Tesco's today at one of them self service thingys, No Apple pay, they had an option for contactless but it was greyed out so you couldn't use that either.
Seems only slowly rolling out and in metro type shops. All supermarket sized ones I've been in have the same but not enabled..

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
I work for Tesco and can confirm contactless is being rolled out across all Tesco's but it's been slow. The two Tesco's near me (including the one I work at) have contactless however they don't specifically support Apple Pay. But as we all know Apple Pay still functions up to the limit of £30.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I work for Tesco and can confirm contactless is being rolled out across all Tesco's but it's been slow. The two Tesco's near me (including the one I work at) have contactless however they don't specifically support Apple Pay. But as we all know Apple Pay still functions up to the limit of £30.

When you say they don't support Apple Pay do you mean (subject to available funds/limit) or capped at £30?

Because (by rights) anywhere that's contactless should be aOK with Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.