Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

chickfila.jpg
Starting on August 19, Apple Pay will be available in Chick-fil-A restaurants across the United States, allowing fast food buyers to make their purchases both in-store and at the drive thru using Apple's payment service.

The news was shared by the Chick-fil-A Twitter account following an inquiry by AppleInsider writer Roger Fingas, who had heard a tip that support was already rolling out at some Chick-fil-A locations.

Chick-fil-A was first announced as an Apple Pay partner in February of 2016, and support was supposed to roll out shortly after, but it has taken several months for the restaurant to implement Apple Pay. Chick-fil-A will also be accepting Android Pay starting on August 19.

@loneswords Yes, as of August 19th, Apple Pay and Android Pay are available for payment both in-restaurant and in the Drive Thru. - Chick-fil-A, Inc. (@ChickfilA) August 17, 2016

Chick-fil-a rival KFC, which also specializes in fried chicken, began accepting Apple Pay at the beginning of June.

Apple Pay is now officially accepted by more than 100 retailers in the United States, along with all locations that allow contactless payments.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Pay Launching at Chick-fil-A on August 19

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Apple Pay is now officially accepted by more than 100 retailers in the United States, along with all locations that allow contactless payments.

The fact that Apple Pay has been around nearly two years now makes this statement incredibly pathetic.

I know it's not entirely Apple's fault; but they've definitely dropped the ball in terms of helping retailers understand why it's important to make the investment and support the technology. Whoever is "in charge" of Apple Pay might end up sharing Forstall's fate.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I like Macrumors but maybe we can have a separate news feed for the posts about every retailer that's contemplating ApplePay or every artist that's considering Apple Music.

Throw the watchbands in that feed too, while we're at it.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I'm not sure about Apple Pay. At first I thought it was amazing but I rarely hear of people actually using it anymore.
I know people on here probably do but most ordinary people probably don't.
It's always such a guess whether or not a store will accept it and if it will work.

I think the problem is that people still have to carry their wallet for things like their drivers license. If Apple managed to replace the entire wallet with things like a digital drivers license people might use it more.

Reactions: 5105973 and maxsix

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I've never visited a Chick-fil-A. By the name alone it sounds disgusting. It sounds like a brand of reconstituted chickenmeat blend used to sculpt nuggets and other novelty puréed-animal shapes. Chick-Fill-A, like Soylent Pink for chickens. And that logo doesn't help.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
The fact that Apple Pay has been around nearly two years now makes this statement incredibly pathetic.

I know it's not entirely Apple's fault; but they've definitely dropped the ball in terms of helping retailers understand why it's important to make the investment and support the technology. Whoever is "in charge" of Apple Pay might end up sharing Forstall's fate.
There has definitely been botched handling in rolling out chip cards and mobile payments by Us retailers and the payments industry. But it's not surprising to me Apple or Google have not made a larger public push because they are operating standalone unfortunately. If we want a universal system, as is NFC tap to pay, then it does not behoove Apple to make a disproportionate effort. If Apple were incentivized to spend the marketing cash then you know they would lock down a proprietary system and we would be no better off. So the problem is entirely chicken and egg and unfortunately retailers are too inept or cheap to convenience their customers.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I've never visited a Chick-fil-A. By the name alone it sounds disgusting. It sounds like a brand of reconstituted chickenmeat blend used to sculpt nuggets and other novelty puréed-animal shapes. Chick-Fill-A, like Soylent Pink for chickens. And that logo doesn't help.
It's actually the opposite. Whole, white meat chicken. For fast food, it's the best you can pick assuming you like chicken. I suggest you give it a try if you can. We just had our first Chick-fil-a open in Seattle and there is a line of cars out on the street waiting to get into their lot even a year after opening.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France

It's a it ridiculous to blame Apple to general issues of US retail payments (unless you expect them to pay for POS upgrades for every retailer in the country).

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013

Chick-Fil-A is, in my opinion, the best fast/casual chicken food restaurant around. Great chicken, milkshakes, fries, breakfast, etc.

The best fast/casual restaurant for a burger is Five Guys without a doubt.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Chick-Fil-A is, in my opinion, the best fast/casual chicken food restaurant around. Great chicken, milkshakes, fries, breakfast, etc.

Thank you all for your inputs. Sounds tasty. Icky name, but I will overlook it when the moment comes.

Reactions: Staindsoul

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

I think Apple has little to do with the slow adoption. If you go into many retailers these days they haven't even updated their hardware to be compatible with chip readers, thus likely do not have NFC chip readers. Beyond that, many major and minor retailers that have the chip technology installed (and presumably the NFC equipment, too) have yet to get them working. It's a big undertaking, especially for a large chain of stores. And it doesn't seem like a very urgent priority to a lot of them. Looking at you, Petsmart. They've had their chip reader technology in place for over a year, and it still doesn't work with chip cards.

My anecdotal sense is that there is probably a shortage of the techs who are required to configure this new hardware. And although a bunch of it is installed already it's not set up. A liquor store near me had their new Apple Pay compatible hardware in the store behind the counter in boxes for months. The owner would tell me, "We're just waiting for the guy who has to set it up to have time to get out here."

I think you will see a massive and exponential uptick in stores who accept tap to pay (and thus ApplePay). I have already seen a significant acceleration in recent months. I went out to run errands a couple of weeks ago, and made all of my 5 purchases at different places using Apple Pay. And other than Sprouts I wasn't even aware before I walked into the store that I could.

Reactions: macs4nw

kdarling

macrumors P6

I've never been to one either, but its fans are numerous.

As for ingredients, it apparently does use chicken breasts, not some paste as you assumed, and keeps most of its sandwiches dead simple, relying mostly on the fried chicken taste itself.

Besides its food, it's also famous for the fact that its founder is a Southern Baptist who refuses to make employees do anything he wouldn't do, like working on Sundays and holidays... and he makes sure his stores give back to their communities.

Because of all this, each CFA store on average makes more each year than a McD's.

Durn, now I'll have to try one. You never know until you do.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

100 *national* retailers. I use it at mom and pop stores all the time. And Arizona only chains as well. Pretty much the only place I can't use it is Walmart, and I use Walmart pay for that. I can officially leave my wallet at home with the shopping I do.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I'm not sure about Apple Pay. At first I thought it was amazing but I rarely hear of people actually using it anymore.
I know people on here probably do but most ordinary people probably don't.
It's always such a guess whether or not a store will accept it and if it will work.

I think the problem is that people still have to carry their wallet for things like their drivers license. If Apple managed to replace the entire wallet with things like a digital drivers license people might use it more.

I would say that there was a lot going for Apple Pay

1) as part of going from magnetic swipe to chip, merchants needed to get new hardware. Many of them came with NFC for neglible cost. My mechanic accepts Apple Pay.
2) while magnetic swipe is fast and instant, you have to leave your credit card in the reader for a while. Takes some time and we might forget. I almost did several times. Apple Pay is instant. No delays.
3) while chip is better than magnet because of encryption, if you lose your card, someone can use it. Apple Pay requires finger print.
4) while third party apps for payment such as Walmart pay requires you to open the app and do qr code scanning, Apple Pay uses NFC and uses tokenization for security. Third party apps have to store your credit card info and can be hacked. Also I believe credit card companies use a card present rate for Apple Pay but may not use that for third party apps. Also Apple Pay allows you to switch credit cards on the fly while merchants online app such as Walmart pay may not.
5) new versions of Apple Pay allow for rewards card integration. So consumers can opt in for it.

There are no excuses for merchants not to implement Apple Pay. Greedy people!

Home Depot was going to do Apple Pay. But they haven't. My local publix groceries is a joke. They don't even have chip implemented.

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
calm down dude, no one cares if you think it's gross

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Some would swear by In-N-Out.
[doublepost=1471479772][/doublepost]
I like Macrumors but maybe we can have a separate news feed for the posts about every retailer that's contemplating ApplePay or every artist that's considering Apple Music.

Throw the watchbands in that feed too, while we're at it.
Technically speaking it's in the iOS Blog section (and not really the Front Page). That said, the mobile view combines the various sections together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.