Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Pay today expanded to France, marking the availability of the payment service in a total of eight countries (via iPhoneAddict.fr). MasterCard and Visa credit and debit cards issued by Banque Populaire, Ticket Restaurant, Carrefour Banque, and Caisse d'Epargne can now be added to Apple Pay on eligible devices.

According to the Apple Pay France website, both Boon and Orange plan to add Apple Pay support in the near future, further expanding the availability of Apple Pay in the country.

applepayfrance-800x687.jpg

Cards can be added to Apple Pay by tapping the "Add Credit or Debit Card" option in the Wallet app on a device running iOS 8.1 or later. Apple Pay works with the iPhone 6 or later or the iPhone 5 or later when using an iPhone paired with an Apple Watch. Apple Pay in apps is also available on iPads with Touch ID, including the iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, and both iPad Pro models.

Apple Pay is accepted at a wide range of retailers in France, including Bocage, Le Bon Marché, Cojean, Dior, Louis Vuitton, Fnac, Sephora, Flunch, Parkeon, Pret, and more. Apple Pay payments can also be made at any location that accepts contactless payment options.

Apple Pay is now available in the United States, the UK, China, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, Singapore, and France, and Apple plans to expand the service to Hong Kong and Spain later in 2016.

Article Link: Apple Pay Now Available in France

patjem

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Barcelona
Coo! I love it. Although on my trip these weeks in Portland, Oregon it was hard to find stores that used it.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Slightly silly thing I noticed: if you have a card issued by a bank which supports Apple Pay but live in another country and have the regional settings of your phone set to that country, the option to add your card is not present.

But luckily if you change to the country of the card, add it, and then revert back, it seems to preserve the card for Apple Pay.

Last edited:

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
Just wondering how many payments are actually processed through apple pay - is apple releasing any numbers? - it great that it is available in more countries but does it stack up to others in term market penetration - The debit cards (with NFC) and to lesser extend still seem to rule in the rest of the world.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

Zorba

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
Belgium
I think that apple pay is really unnecessary (there is already NFC VISA cards). I would rather have a paying system that bypass the VISA-MasterCard monopole. Directly from your bank account.

We have something like that in Europe: SEQR. You connect it to any bank account and can pay either using a QR code or NFC.

Reactions: jovada

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I often use my contactless card but I have to enter the pin for more than 25 euro. Apple pay with the fingerprint would be more convenient, but the real breakthrough would be Apple Watch, especially to get in and out the subway. I don't like to take my wallet out to access public transit and as far as I know in London is already possible to use Apple pay on the tube

Reactions: magicMac

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
Do you think that a camera on the iPhone is "unnecessary"? There are already SLR and point and shoot cameras.
My point is that apple could have gone with a solution to bypass the VISA-MC monopoly, I find incredible that we are still using the same crappy network with huge fees in 2016. There have been many solutions by startups in the recent years, but a big company like apple could really change the market in this area. It's a billion dollar market.
[doublepost=1468918298][/doublepost]
We have something like that in Europe: SEQR. You connect it to any bank account and can pay either using a QR code or NFC.
I would totally support something like this.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Slightly sill thing I noticed: if you have a card issued by a bank which supports Apple Pay but live in another country and have the regional settings of your phone set to that country, the option to add your card is not present.

But luckily if you change to the country of the card, add it, and then revert back, it seems to preserve the card for Apple Pay.

Per my own experience, I beg to differ... I have a phone set up as a UK one, with already 4 British cards in Wallet for use with Apple Pay, and I could add my Banque Populaire (BRED) card this morning without any issue, with SMS verification. So it's pretty neat, I've got 5 cards from 2 different countries and 3 different banks/issuers that I can use with Apple Pay.
[doublepost=1468918905][/doublepost]
I often use my contactless card but I have to enter the pin for more than 25 euro. Apple pay with the fingerprint would be more convenient, but the real breakthrough would be Apple Watch, especially to get in and out the subway. I don't like to take my wallet out to access public transit and as far as I know in London is already possible to use Apple pay on the tube

I spent 5 full weeks without any cash on me - paid every small expense with Apple Pay. It's virtually everywhere in London. Oh and I could pay a £70 restaurant bill and a £359 iPhone SE with Apple Pay, too, as it doesn't have to be limited to the £30 ceiling on contactless transactions (thanks to the added security layer that is TouchID). Makes it too easy to get broke...
[doublepost=1468918954][/doublepost]
Don't get me started on QR codes... :eek:
[doublepost=1468919078][/doublepost]
Bonjour Apple Pay! C'est manifique!

J'habite iPhone, iPad et Apple Watch ;-).
Nice effort but you'll need to show some more tangible progress next term.

Reactions: V.K.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Per my own experience, I beg to differ... I have a phone set up as a UK one, with already 4 British cards in Wallet for use with Apple Pay, and I could add my Banque Populaire (BRED) card this morning without any issue, with SMS verification. So it's pretty neat, I've got 5 cards from 2 different countries and 3 different banks/issuers that I can use with Apple Pay.
[doublepost=1468918905][/doublepost]

To clarify what I meant: the issue is present if the country you live in doesn't have any bank issuing cards which support Apple Pay.
You were able to add your French card because Apple Pay is already supported by some UK banks. But if your phone was set to Ireland for example (where no bank supports Apple Pay), you wouldn't even have had the option to add a card. It is a bit silly as there are plenty of POS terminals in Ireland which support Apple Pay and you have a card which also support it, but Apple will not let you set it up just because of your regional settings.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I think that apple pay is really unnecessary (there is already NFC VISA cards). I would rather have a paying system that bypass the VISA-MasterCard monopole. Directly from your bank account.

Said every person who worked in a bank's or retailer's finance organization...

It is for these reasons that we see new cartels being built-up in Switzerland with Twint (top 5 Swiss banks and top merchants) and in the USA with Walmart's failed (for everybody but them) MCX/CurrentC initiative.
[doublepost=1468922510][/doublepost]
so, now you can rent a lorry privately in France.
Not funny. (And incorrect. Your card issuer still has a record of this. Hopefully the ISIS nihilists will read only your comment and not mine.). And you should apologize for saying stupid things.
[doublepost=1468923480][/doublepost]
My point is that apple could have gone with a solution to bypass the VISA-MC monopoly, I find incredible that we are still using the same crappy network with huge fees in 2016. There have been many solutions by startups in the recent years, but a big company like apple could really change the market in this area. It's a billion dollar market.
[doublepost=1468918298][/doublepost]
I would totally support something like this.
Tim Cook explained this at AP's announcement.

He said Apple looked at alternatives but saw that folks loved their credit cards (the 0-liability, transaction insurances, the loyalty programs, as well as the coming near-ubiquity of NFC POS terminals) and then decided to build AP upon the existing and expanding (credit-card-based) NFC POS system.

Aside from any undisclosed contract arrangements with banks or card networks (or local government finance regulations), there is nothing to prevent Apple, long after NFC and AP is everywhere, from offering up a direct AP solution which cuts out card networks (essentially becoming a new card network) and working directly with banks. Alternatively, in the bigger markets, there is nothing that prevents Apple from doing the former as well as becoming a payment processor or a bank offering customers an end to end solution from the merchants terminal.

But such initiatives and transitions are extremely ambitious, have many moving parts to implement, don't help to sell more iPhones than the current partnerships do, and are very far down the road.
[doublepost=1468923678][/doublepost]

If your system involves QR codes, you're doing it wrong. (In b4 someone from a bank or merchant consortium starts whining about Apple's monopolistic use of its TouchID sensor.)
[doublepost=1468924142][/doublepost]
To clarify what I meant: the issue is present if the country you live in doesn't have any bank issuing cards which support Apple Pay.
You were able to add your French card because Apple Pay is already supported by some UK banks. But if your phone was set to Ireland for example (where no bank supports Apple Pay), you wouldn't even have had the option to add a card. It is a bit silly as there are plenty of POS terminals in Ireland which support Apple Pay and you have a card which also support it, but Apple will not let you set it up just because of your regional settings.
Because 99 and 44/100's of folks don't have a card from outside their home country. If Apple didn't hide this feature in countries where the banks have not yet agreed to play with Apple Pay, can you imagine all the calls from unhappy customers Apple would get? (Although, the complaint calls to the banks would also put a bit of pressure on the banks.)

Apple made a practical decision to hide a non-functional feature (for the majority) but didn't really disable it for the lucky few who happen to have a card from outside their country of residence.

It's beyond easy to flip the country switch, install a card, and flip back.

It's the opposite of silly.

Reactions: kyjaotkb

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Apple Pay is awesome - I find myself using it a lot. Roll on the world!

I would use it all the time, just can't find that many places that are on board.

I can understand the Walmarts of the world wanting to implement their own pay system, my issue is at least give us a choice.

Customers should be able to choose how they wish to pay for goods. Especially if the merchants already have the POS systems in place like CVS.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I would use it all the time, just can't find that many places that are on board.

I can understand the Walmarts of the world wanting to implement their own pay system, my issue is at least give us a choice.

Customers should be able to choose how they wish to pay for goods. Especially if the merchants already have the POS systems in place like CVS.
France and the UK have already a solid base of contactless payment terminals. Here in London, I would say over 75% of places I go to (including independant restaurants and cafes) are compatible with Contactless, hence with Apple Pay. Only notable exception would be Sainsbury's supermarkets. Even my company's own employee cafe takes Apple Pay.

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Because 99 and 44/100's of folks don't have a card from outside their home country. If Apple didn't hide this feature in countries where the banks have not yet agreed to play with Apple Pay, can you imagine all the calls from unhappy customers Apple would get? (Although, the complaint calls to the banks would also put a bit of pressure on the banks.)

Apple made a practical decision to hide a non-functional feature (for the majority) but didn't really disable it for the lucky few who happen to have a card from outside their country of residence.

It's beyond easy to flip the country switch, install a card, and flip back.

It's the opposite of silly.

I understand you point, but you are missing a few bits.

I have a French Apple ID setup on the phone, Apple has my French card on record, and formal over Apple services I use they are showing me French based services regardless of availability where I live (Ireland). Talk about confusing customers making an exception just for this one.

Also , with the latest SEPA directive which came into force a few years ago it is definitely becoming more common for people in the eurozone to have an account with a foreign bank, as creditors in the EZ are not legaly allowed to charge fees or refuse card payment or direct debits from someone holding an account in another EZ country.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.