Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
The best part about this whole story is the comments because, well, MY last name is Cook, too :p :D

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Very smart move on Cook's part. He gets to retain his squeaky clean business reputation, still makes buckets of money, and gets headlines that show him being specifically non-greedy. He also gets to avoid situations like the options scandal that plagued Jobs for a number of years.

I can also appreciate the classiness of declining the dividend. Under Jobs, a lot of people screamed for a dividend payout for years. It never happened. Had Cook not done this he may have appeared to be a disgruntled former underling who's first move as CEO is to give himself a big fat paycheck that the old boss didn't want to give. While it would certainly be untrue, it could easily be spun that way in the media.

Very smart guy this new CEO.

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
when would Apple start rewarding its employees all around the world for working their ass off ???

salespersons, geniuses and all the guys who stand from early in the morning until late every evening to sell and repair all Apple products for minimum to average wages...

the company makes billions, regular employees get peanuts

oh yeah, a few discounts per year... money that goes back to Apple's pocket

What a bunch of self-entitled clap trap.

Retail employees get paid a wage, do they not? They are given adequate renumeration for their level of qualifications and amount of work they do, are they not?

The employees who are given stock options are given so as part of their renumeration It's a package they negotiated upon employment with the company. They negotiated the packages because they have a skill set and qualifications that make them valuable enough to be in a position of negotiation.

Don't like that, well tough titties. That's how a free labour market works. If you want to get paid the big bucks then I suggest you go and earn yourself the qualifications and skill set to go into the market and demand good renumeration.

As for the retail employees, if they are not happy with their current renumeration than I suggest they negotiate a better awards with Apple.

No one is 'entitled' to that money.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
1.125 million RSUs? At current market value, that's well over 500 million dollars. It's easier to turn down a measly 75 million when you're 1/2 a billionaire.

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011

Retail employees get paid a wage, do they not? They are given adequate renumeration for their level of qualifications and amount of work they do, are they not?

The employees who are given stock options are given so as part of their renumeration It's a package they negotiated upon employment with the company. They negotiated the packages because they have a skill set and qualifications that make them valuable enough to be in a position of negotiation.

Don't like that, well tough titties. That's how a free labour market works. If you want to get paid the big bucks then I suggest you go and earn yourself the qualifications and skill set to go into the market and demand good renumeration.

As for the retail employees, if they are not happy with their current renumeration than I suggest they negotiate a better awards with Apple.

OK so how many employee's are given restricted stock options.....yeah not frigging many. My guess would be employee's who earn far too much money for what they really do.
I think its unfair to say the retail employee's should leave if they are unhappy with the wage they get.
I think its the way Apple are happy to throw around millions of dollars to a few employee's and nothing to the people on the frontline taking **** day in day out from ignorant people like yourself.
Imagine if Apple took all that money Tim Cook doesn't want and they rewarded the whole company with that. Its wouldn't be the amount that would matter it would be the gesture of acknowledgment for a job well done.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Very smart move on Cook's part. He gets to retain his squeaky clean business reputation, still makes buckets of money, and gets headlines that show him being specifically non-greedy. He also gets to avoid situations like the options scandal that plagued Jobs for a number of years.

I can also appreciate the classiness of declining the dividend. Under Jobs, a lot of people screamed for a dividend payout for years. It never happened. Had Cook not done this he may have appeared to be a disgruntled former underling who's first move as CEO is to give himself a big fat paycheck that the old boss didn't want to give. While it would certainly be untrue, it could easily be spun that way in the media.

Very smart guy this new CEO.

Nice theory, but no. The dividend at issue is only for the non-vested stock. Cook no doubt owns lots of vested AAPL, for which he receives the same dividend as any other stockholder. Nobody in the media spun the dividend as self-serving if only because stockholders have been asking the board for one for years.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
OK so how many employee's are given restricted stock options.....yeah not frigging many. My guess would be employee's who earn far too much money for what they really do.
I think its unfair to say the retail employee's should leave if they are unhappy with the wage they get.
I think its the way Apple are happy to throw around millions of dollars to a few employee's and nothing to the people on the frontline taking **** day in day out from ignorant people like yourself.
Imagine if Apple took all that money Tim Cook doesn't want and they rewarded the whole company with that. Its wouldn't be the amount that would matter it would be the gesture of acknowledgment for a job well done.

What world do you live in?

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
TYPICAL GREEDY SELFISH CEO!

oh wait...

----------

when would Apple start rewarding its employees all around the world for working their ass off ???

salespersons, geniuses and all the guys who stand from early in the morning until late every evening to sell and repair all Apple products for minimum to average wages...

the company makes billions, regular employees get peanuts

oh yeah, a few discounts per year... money that goes back to Apple's pocket

"Regular employees" get paid less because they contribute less. Yes, they do. Also, none of these employees are slaves, they are free to quit and find a better job.

Apple is, among other things, an employer, required by law to turn a maximum profit. They are not required to profit share. Get some skills if you want to earn more.

Or, we could just give handouts to the poor. Whichever one you want.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I'm glad Tim is approaching the company in a much more humanistic way, but I really hope Apple will continue to muster a rock-solid vision and incredible products in the next several years.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Jobs also owned a large number of shares in Apple: http://techland.time.com/2011/01/12/steve-jobs-still-makes-a-1-salary/ This article was written in the begining of 2011. In today's stock values, that is worth over 3 billion dollars. Plus all his other perks. steve made a lot of money at apple as well. I do think he was more concerned with the company and his elgacy then the money, but the $1 a year thing gets thrown around like he did it all seflessly, and he msot certainly did not.

I don't think anyone thinks taking $1 is selfless. It's a sign that someone has faith in his company. $3 billion is nothing compared to what Bill Gates made in his stock options and I don't see anything wrong with a founder of a company making $3 billion who turned around an almost bankrupt company into $500+ billion market cap company.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
"Regular employees" get paid less because they contribute less. Yes, they do. Also, none of these employees are slaves, they are free to quit and find a better job.

Apple is, among other things, an employer, required by law to turn a maximum profit. They are not required to profit share. Get some skills if you want to earn more.

Or, we could just give handouts to the poor. Whichever one you want.

I'd love to see that law. And just because one doesn't have to pay more for something doesn't mean one can't (or shouldn't). It's not that large of a jump from "don't pay them any more than you have to" to "don't improve working conditions at Foxconn."
I don't think you're saying the latter, but it comes from the same attitude.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Nice theory, but no. The dividend at issue is only for the non-vested stock. Cook no doubt owns lots of vested AAPL, for which he receives the same dividend as any other stockholder. Nobody in the media spun the dividend as self-serving if only because stockholders have been asking the board for one for years.

When last I took note, Mr. Cook owned about 14 thousand shares of AAPL (i.e. not including the more than 1 million yet-to-vest RSUs that you referred to and on which he has chosen not to receive dividend equivalents). It isn't likely that I would have missed a filing noting that he had acquired or disposed of additional shares, so unless he's done something very recently I'm pretty confident that he still owns only those approximately 14 thousand shares.

On a different note, and just to be clear: This decision by Mr. Cook (i.e. to not receive dividend equivalents on his RSUs) is not a recent one. I'm pretty sure it was stated during the conference call in which the new Apple dividend was announced that Mr. Cook had requested not to receive the dividend on his RSUs.

The Monkey

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006
Why is everyone assuming this was some grand gesture of selflessness on Cook's part? Is there some tax benefit and/or helpful accounting treatment to Cook and/or Apple as a result of his declining of the dividend?

The dividend on an RSU is taxed as ordinary income, correct?

Dralt

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010

Sounds like you are recommending that retail employees unionize in order to negotiate or be in a position of negotiating.

As far as the "it's all about the skills you don't have" argument is concerned, I am pretty sure there are pointy-haired bosses at Apple who make 10-20 times what your average store employee makes...and, clearly, they are not 10-20 times more qualified, if they are more qualified at all.

I love making money and I can be a self-aware jerk because I am firmly on the side of those who have 5X the skills and 30X the wages, but when the wage factor reaches 60X, 70X, 100X, it would never come to mind to use the skill differential to explain the pay differential.

----------

If Apple stock tanks in the next 5 years Tim might wish he took that $78 million!

If I had $10M in the bank, I would simply retire and enjoy life. When you got too much of something, it becomes useless and worthless to you.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
He is putting a lot of new policies for Apple employees into place, and he does not want it to appear to benefit from them himself.

He knows that he was awarded a BUCKET of shares recently - more than he'll ever need. So why risk polluting his broader goals for the company with personal issues?

You hit it right on the head. And Bravo to Tim.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Jobs also owned a large number of shares in Apple: http://techland.time.com/2011/01/12/steve-jobs-still-makes-a-1-salary/ This article was written in the begining of 2011. In today's stock values, that is worth over 3 billion dollars. Plus all his other perks. steve made a lot of money at apple as well. I do think he was more concerned with the company and his elgacy then the money, but the $1 a year thing gets thrown around like he did it all seflessly, and he msot certainly did not.

Stock grant details (from Apple 2007 Proxy report):

Apple's CEO, Steve Jobs, currently holds approximately 5.5 million shares of Apple common stock. Since rejoining Apple in 1997, Mr. Jobs has never sold a share of Apple stock. His last equity grant was awarded in 2003, and vested in full in 2006. Mr. Jobs currently holds no unvested equity awards. In fiscal 2007, Mr. Jobs's entire compensation consisted of his $1 annual salary. Because Mr. Jobs's continued leadership is critical to Apple, the Compensation Committee is considering additional compensation arrangements for him.

Mr. Jobs has received a $1 annual salary since he rejoined Apple in 1997 and began serving as interim CEO. In 1999, Apple awarded Mr. Jobs an aircraft as an executive bonus in recognition of his outstanding performance during the previous two years. Mr. Jobs also received two stock option grants, one in 2000 and another in 2001. Mr. Jobs never exercised these grants, and they were both cancelled in March 2003, when Apple awarded Mr. Jobs a grant of 5 million shares of restricted stock.

The 2003 restricted stock grant required Mr. Jobs to remain employed by Apple for three more years before it vested. This grant, which increased to 10 million shares when Apple's common stock split in 2005, vested in full in March 2006. After a portion of these shares was withheld for the payment of taxes, Mr. Jobs received the remaining 5,426,447 shares. Due in large part to Mr. Jobs's leadership, Apple's stock price (after accounting for a stock split) increased from $7.47 on the March 2003 grant date to $64.66 on the March 2006 vesting date—more than an eight-fold increase in three years. Under Mr. Jobs's continued leadership, Apple's stock price increased from $64.66 per share in March 2006 to $189.95 per share as of October 31, 2007—a three-fold increase in approximately 18 months.

When he was elected to Apple's Board of Directors in 1997, Mr. Jobs received the standard director's stock option grant for 30,000 shares. Because Mr. Jobs became employed later that year as Apple's interim CEO, he was no longer eligible for such director grants. When the 1997 director grant (which increased to 120,000 shares after two stock splits) was due to expire in August 2007, Mr. Jobs exercised the option and he currently holds these 120,000 share

His stock value may exceed $3B today, but it was worth a mere $37m when granted, and credit due to his leadership for the ROI.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I would say I am impressed but CEO in general are massively over paid and that goes triple for the US were they are even more out of line than the rest of the world.

Well with Cook's RSU's annualized, Forbes lists his annual compensation at 14 million a year (remembering that he will not get the overwhelming majority of that for several more years). That places him at 109th on the compensation list. None of those ranked above him are managing a larger company and few if any are managing a faster growing company.

The top 5 highest paid CEOs in the UK would all be around 3-8 on the US list. Your assertion that it goes triple for the US does not seem to be backed by reality.

----------

Sounds like you are recommending that retail employees unionize in order to negotiate or be in a position of negotiating.

As far as the "it's all about the skills you don't have" argument is concerned, I am pretty sure there are pointy-haired bosses at Apple who make 10-20 times what your average store employee makes...and, clearly, they are not 10-20 times more qualified, if they are more qualified at all.

I love making money and I can be a self-aware jerk because I am firmly on the side of those who have 5X the skills and 30X the wages, but when the wage factor reaches 60X, 70X, 100X, it would never come to mind to use the skill differential to explain the pay differential.

----------

The difference is how much value does a particular employee bring to the owners. It is not just tangible skills, there is a lot more to being an effective leader than "skills". Tim is effective and the shareholders make more money because he is CEO. What do you think the skill gap was between Scully and Jobs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.