Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pkson

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Is it possible an entire nation of people is upset about something an American company is doing to a Korean company?

How often do you see the entirety of the US population in agreement over something?

You don't know much about Korea do you... Korea's a very strong groupthink country. I wouldn't be surprised if that was why they all flocked to the website. (besides the 1M KRW promise)

Mapmonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Apple Korea Wake up!

From the front line.

I am so pissed with Apple Korea for not stamping all over this. WTF were they thinking if indeed they were. This country is a fickle and sometimes hostile place to do business for foreign companies and many have failed and pulled out before. You have to be really on your game and it really does look like Apple Korea was asleep on this. I might have to give up defending Apple products versus Samsung and LG to my friends here if Apple Korea can't pull it finger out and do the same. They won't even comment on this case or the now snowballing class action. Hell, I might even join in for a chance to win a million! It's turning into a lottery, got to be in it to win it they say!

Arrrrrr, must take cold shower…………

[
I guess in Korea you don't sue for damages, maybe just on principle? If so, what damage was done to this individual as a result of the location collection? Additionally how does $949.00 make him whole again?

If Apple broke Korean law somehow that's one thing, but shouldn't they pay a fine to the state if that is the case.

This is the strange thing about this case he says Apple broke the law but Apple weren't prosecuted by the state, rather he won damages for emotional stress !

I can't understand how anyone can sue for this unless they can prove to what extent this stress affected him, How? What form did it take?
Also he was paid 200,000 won per month for each month he used the iPhone. I want to know had he had it longer or did this 5 month period start when the media furore started. Did he stop using the phone then ?

"Kim Hyeong-seok recently won damages in a local court from Apple Korea after suing the company in April, saying its location tracking violated his privacy and caused him emotional damage and stress."

"It was revealed in the media that Apple had been gathering information on the whereabouts of iPhone users without their consent," Kim said. "This is a clear violation of the law and constitutes an invasion of privacy."

Apple didn't seem to bother to reply to the judgement or even pay for it. The court had to seize the money from Apple's bank account.
This from this Korea Times article: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/opinon/2011/07/137_90892.html
I think Apple's lawyers were just too busy to travel some 200 miles to another city and defend this case for such a low amount.
The newspaper adds "It is not difficult to file a civil lawsuit in Korea of which the compensation demanded is less than 20 million won. "

And

As far as I know he is correct. The Korean lawyer claimed that Apple Korea owes him 1M won, and the court ordered Apple to pay, without judging his claim was valid or not. Apple did not respond at all (I don't know why, maybe it's trivial to them) and he got the money. If Apple responded at all, I think there was very slim chance for him getting the money. He is now trying to gather people to make it a class action lawsuit, in which case Apple Korea will definitely respond with great care and there must not be much chance for them (Korean iPhone users) to win it. Nevertheless, that lawyer would be able to make a lot of money, depending on how many iPhone users join the lawsuit. So, it was a very smart move from that lawyer, but for others, I'd just say, good luck.

Never, never believe anything written in Korea Times. It's so poor journalistically and quite honestly I wouldn't wipe my a@@@ with it. Notice how there is no reporters name on the article and its a cut and past affair with no direction. It's probably where jakejung got his information and its wrong. I checked as many sources as I could and no one else claims the money had to be taken by the court from Apple Korea.

IHow tight are Samsung and the South Korean government?

Many might say they are often one and the same! This lawyer guy wouldn't have stood a chance if he had tried this here against Samsung.

One cannot help but suspect the people behind this are either Samsung employees or Samsung sympathizers.

Not to sure about that or the guy wouldn't have bought an iPhone in the first place. However, he probably is now on their Christmas card list.

Sources
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2938938

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/07/14/2011071400990.html

http://thenextweb.com/asia/2011/07/...ayout-in-s-korea-over-user-location-tracking/

jakejung

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Never, never believe anything written in Korea Times. It's so poor journalistically and quite honestly I wouldn't wipe my a@@@ with it. Notice how there is no reporters name on the article and its a cut and past affair with no direction. It's probably where jakejung got his information and its wrong. I checked as many sources as I could and no one else claims the money had to be taken by the court from Apple Korea.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say (I don't read Korea Times at all). However, if you can read Korean, I think following link explains this case very well.

http://interpiler.com/index.php/2011/07/애플로부터-100만-원-받아내기-그리고-그-이후/

It was not a lawsuit, Apple Korea was not prosecuted, Apple Korea did not lose in court, no need to have (public) defender. That lawyer just claimed Apple Korea "owed" him money because of the mental damage caused by iPhone collecting the location data. The court ordered Apple Korea to pay him and Apple Korea did not respond (which was stupid, I think). No appeal from Apple Korea, the court assumed the plaintiff's claim is valid, seized the money and gave it to him.

Mapmonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
I'm not sure what you're trying to say (I don't read Korea Times at all). However, if you can read Korean, I think following link explains this case very well.

http://interpiler.com/index.php/2011/07/애플로부터-100만-원-받아내기-그리고-그-이후/

It was not a lawsuit, Apple Korea was not prosecuted, Apple Korea did not lose in court, no need to have (public) defender. That lawyer just claimed Apple Korea "owed" him money because of the mental damage caused by iPhone collecting the location data. The court ordered Apple Korea to pay him and Apple Korea did not respond (which was stupid, I think). No appeal from Apple Korea, the court assumed the plaintiff's claim is valid, seized the money and gave it to him.

Thanks for the link, between Google Translate, my wife and my basic Korean reading skills I got the main points. Now I'm whole case seems even madder. So, in Korea I make a claim that someone owes me money for one reason or another and if they don't respond, the court gets me the money! Sweet, might try this out on Samsung.

Didn't mean to offend you by the way, I got caught out by the English language versions of the story, I should know by now.

Thanks

kdarling

macrumors P6
So, in Korea I make a claim that someone owes me money for one reason or another and if they don't respond, the court gets me the money! Sweet, might try this out on Samsung.

A similar thing happened last month in Florida.

Bank of America tried to foreclose on a man who owned his house with no mortgage with BofA. It took months to straighten out and the man won a judgement against BofA for $2,500 in legal fees.

BofA ignored the judgement and kept putting off paying him, so the man finally went back to court and got permission to seize bank assets if he wasn't paid. Then he went with the county Sheriff down to his local BoA bank branch, where he threatened to start hauling away the office furniture. Finally the branch manager paid him.

So yeah, ignore a judgement at your own risk :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.