Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
I bought the Moxiware magnetic pencil sleeve, which, though an inexpensive way to magnetically attach the pencil to the smartcover, has quickly stretched and deformed to the point that it slips and slides off the pencil with normal use, and makes it much harder to use. I've given up and ordered a Sugru magnets kit and will try a more homemade hack instead. Anyone else tried this already?

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I bought the Moxiware magnetic pencil sleeve, which, though an inexpensive way to magnetically attach the pencil to the smartcover, has quickly stretched and deformed to the point that it slips and slides off the pencil with normal use, and makes it much harder to use. I've given up and ordered a Sugru magnets kit and will try a more homemade hack instead. Anyone else tried this already?
That's too bad, as my Moxiware sleeve is snug. If anything, it's on the side of too snug. Have you contacted them?

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
That's too bad, as my Moxiware sleeve is snug. If anything, it's on the side of too snug. Have you contacted them?
No; to be honest, I don't really mind as it was cheap and they shipped it internationally for almost nothing. INteresting that yours was snug though. I'm expecting more, better solutions to this problem over time, so not going to lose sleep over it.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I have one coming and hope it isn't loose.

I will give it a whirl and see how it fits and then definitely be contacting them if there is an issue. For $18 with shipping it isn't cheap but it definitely provides a big function I am looking for.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Frankly I think Apple has barely begun with the Pencil. I'd like to see a MagSafe-type attachment for it, a button (buttons?) for quick shortcuts (cycle through brush types or pen colors quickly) and / or the ability to erase by flipping over the pencil.

Apple takes forever to get their hardware game up, but it's usually amazingly good when it finally comes.

Now if only they could fix their software game... iTunes, iCloud, iOS... Not terribly inspiring so far.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Got mine today. It is rather off white more than white and is pretty cheap feeling for the material. I get concerned the white color will get pretty dingy very fast and should have gotten a black.

Other than that it feels great in the hand and adds some grip and works perfectly magnetically on the Pro so it does what is supposed to do.

Time will tell on the wear and how the white holds up.

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I received mine last week. It is quite snug but I had not realized it was going to have a rather large rectangular lump along one side. It makes fitting into the pencil holder challenging to impossible.

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
My Moxiware sleeve is fine and I've had it on a few months now.
It'll go bad, my pencil basically falls out just by tipping the iPad now. The material just stretched out. I don't know what to do short of taping it to the pencil.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
It'll go bad, my pencil basically falls out just by tipping the iPad now. The material just stretched out. I don't know what to do short of taping it to the pencil.
Why is that a given? Mine is plenty snug still.

Out of curiousity what color did you order. I know that in my company we use different coloring agents for polyethylene and even though they go into the same product sometimes one color imparts other changes to the polyethylene. I'm curious as maybe it is the same with their polymer.

Anyone who's had it "stretch" have you contacted them about it? Isn't there a warranty?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
My Moxiware (white) is super snug. There is no possible way it's going to "stretch."

Mine is too. I worry more about the white getting super dirty as it is an absorbent type material versus a more plastic, non absorbent.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2005
London
Mine is too. I worry more about the white getting super dirty as it is an absorbent type material versus a more plastic, non absorbent.
Mine was white and it was practically baggy after less than a month. Glad others are having more luck; reassured also that it's not just me!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
My sleeve will slide up and down on the pencil when I push the pencil in to charge on the lightning port. I have to squeeze hard on the sleeve to try to prevent this.

I wouldn't say it is loose, but I also wouldn't say it is tight enough to be acceptable.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I use my white sleeve/pencil daily for note taking. It is as snug as when I first got it.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
FYI... I emailed their sales team, and got a response. I can confirm that it works. It appears that the material used is basically the same heatshrink used with wires.

"Hi,

You can heat it up with a hair dryer and this will tighten it up.

Thank you,
Martin
www.moxiware.com"

I used my heatgun with the sleeve in the place I wanted it. I took the tip off, just to make sure that wouldn't melt. I got it hot enough that it was uncomfortable to the touch, but not hot enough to burn my skin. It is very tight now...

Hope this helps others.

mhoepfin

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
I just got my Moxiware sleeve (a nice red one) and honestly think it is ingenious. Not only does it work great against the Ipad itself but also right in the middle of the ASK cover.

Reactions: batristain

batristain

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Richmond,VA
Greetings,
I just received my Moxiware sleeve (blue) and it works as advertised. I love it and it fits securingly to the ASK or on the back of my ESR back shell.

CHeers,
Bobbie

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
Greetings,
I just received my Moxiware sleeve (blue) and it works as advertised. I love it and it fits securingly to the ASK or on the back of my ESR back shell.

CHeers,
Bobbie

If the sleeve slides at all, take a hair dryer to it for a bit while it is in the desired position. After I did that, I don't even think I can take the sleeve off without cutting it off...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.