Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I really think they should allow the apple pencil on the ipad air 3. It would be a great selling point and encourage people to finally upgrade their ipad devices. People seem to hold on to their ipads for a long period of time before upgrading. I think if they added apple pencil support to ipad air 3 that would really help make people want to upgrade. Even those who invested in the cheaper ipad air 2s over the holidays might consider upgrading yet again.

I do think if they just bump specs and leave apple pencil support out most will not bother upgrading to the air 3.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I really think they should allow the apple pencil on the ipad air 3. It would be a great selling point and encourage people to finally upgrade their ipad devices. People seem to hold on to their ipads for a long period of time before upgrading. I think if they added apple pencil support to ipad air 3 that would really help make people want to upgrade. Even those who invested in the cheaper ipad air 2s over the holidays might consider upgrading yet again.

I do think if they just bump specs and leave apple pencil support out most will not bother upgrading to the air 3.

I can see them doing this. Why else would one to upgrade unless you need the latest thing or your old iPad is having issues with something.

Reactions: jahwriter

deblewis

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I will be so disappointed if the pencil doesn't come to iPad3... and I think it'll be a huge mistake... I've dreamed of that type of tech since the iPad came out... but I do not want a huge tablet... the only way I buy a new tablet is if iPad 3 has the pencil...

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Yadda, yadda, yadda...*if* Apple brings this to the Air, the earliest would be 2nd half 2017.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I think Apple is a little pre-occupied already trying to get Pencil's to the all the ipad pros.

But sure.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
If Apple want to keep the Pencil as a "Pro" exclusive, that's fine, but I hope that they make an "iPad mini Pro" and an "iPad Air Pro." I went with the Pro for the upgraded hardware and stylus support, but the mini is the perfect size for my use at work. I'd be fine paying more for a mini that supported the stylus, and that had a faster processor and more RAM. Nearly everyone in my workplace carries iPad minis, because they're the most portable and least cumbersome to use when you're on the move (healthcare setting). It's unfortunate that Apple treats the mini as the budget option; I'd imagine that it has the most potential to break into more professional environments. Everyone else who can afford to carry something larger seems to go with a standard laptop.

While they're at it, it'd be nice if they diversified their styluses. The Pencil is a nice option for artists, but I'm primarily writing notes and would have appreciated something more pen-like (more rugged, with a clip, not quite as large, not needing to be as fancy in terms of pressure and angle detection).

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
While they're at it, it'd be nice if they diversified their styluses. The Pencil is a nice option for artists, but I'm primarily writing notes and would have appreciated something more pen-like (more rugged, with a clip, not quite as large, not needing to be as fancy in terms of pressure and angle detection).

In that case, wouldn't one of the existing third-party styluses suit your needs?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
In that case, wouldn't one of the existing third-party styluses suit your needs?
Are there any third-party styluses that use the active digitizer? One of the benefits of a "true" stylus is that palm rejection is pretty much perfect and it's more precise than a stylus that works by tricking the system into thinking that it's a finger. In theory any standard stylus should work, but I don't know if Apple locked it down in the Pro such that it needs to pair to activate the active digitizer in the Pro.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
The iPad Air 2 is still awesome. I won't update unless the add 3D Touch and pencil support. I would also like Apple to ditch lightning and switch to USBC, but that isn't a must. It would be icing on the cake for them to add the rotation lock switch back... I'm not sure why they removed it... But it's a a actually kind of annoying.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
my view: iPad Air 3, small speed bump to A9 Processor (clocked slightly faster than the iPhone 6S A9's), 2GB RAM, 32/128GB options, cellular option on 128GB model, Apple Pencil support, smart connector. Smart Connector and Apple Pencil being the main selling points, making the Air 3 effectively a "mini" Pro.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
For those talking about "adding Support" for the Apple Pencil on the iPad Air 3... keep in mind that it's NOT just about adding a driver or updating software - the actual display technology is different.

Reactions: macaximx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.