Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
How is Photos in Sonoma?
Is it dealing RAW photos better than Ventura or has still all the issues ?

Reactions: arkitect

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Can you kindly elaborate? what RAW format specifically?
Any RAW format, even from the iPhone: if it has been "touched" by any of the Photos tools then it becomes slightly blurred
Using other extensions from Affinity Photo or Raw Power are ok.
Another problem that appears is the photo adjust briefly to a darker color: going to edit it goes back to normal.
If it has been edited it doesn't

In Monterey Photos was working with none of these issues. In Ventura it does
I have a Mac Studio M2 with a lot of ram and Apple Studio Display . Ventura came with the Mac Studio, alas
My cameras are Sony but I use time to time my iPhone as well and the problem happens with both

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Forgot to mention if I try to edit with the Photos cropping tool, then I don't have any possibility to edit the photo with any other extension, like Affinity Photo or Raw Power

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I haven't upgraded to Sonoma yet, and I'm getting this blurry RAW effect in the latest Photos for Ventura, Version 8.0 (560.0.110).

This behavior wasn't there until Ventura 13.6, now it's there consistently. It's obvious enough that I'm hoping it gets fixed quickly.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I haven't upgraded to Sonoma yet, and I'm getting this blurry RAW effect in the latest Photos for Ventura, Version 8.0 (560.0.110).

This behavior wasn't there until Ventura 13.6, now it's there consistently. It's obvious enough that I'm hoping it gets fixed quickly.
Please report it to Apple Feedback https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos/
In the hope they will fixit sometime before I go to Mars...

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Found another long thread Blurry After Editing 350 people and more complaining
I wonder why at Apple no-one cares about fixing this
Sonoma still has the bug and doesn't matter if you have intel or M1 or M2
and which camera do you use or iPhone 12-13-14-15 Pro RAW format.
The mix to have blurry photo is Ventura or Sonoma, Apple Photos and RAW

I personally gave up. RAW Power does a very good job for cropping or editing RAW and works well as extension in Photos. More or less does everything Photos does but well and better.
I believe it has been developed by people previously working at Apple: no more photo experts left there it seems 😉

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA

I personally gave up. RAW Power does a very good job for cropping or editing RAW and works well as extension in Photos. More or less does everything Photos does but well and better.
I believe it has been developed by people previously working at Apple: no more photo experts left there it seems 😉
Yes, the developer for RAW Power was a lead on Apple's late lamented Aperture pro photography application, which was exceptional. He definitely has the chops.

Reactions: katbel

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I also saw the same thread in the Apple Photos forum and responded there. I have not had the blurry RAW photos, but then I don't remember seeing it prior to upgrading to Sonoma either. I shoot with two digital cameras (Olympus EM5mk3 and Sony RX100mk5), both generally set to RAW+JPEG and I have Photos on my M1 iMac import both photos as a pair. After reading the post on the Apple forums, I did test a few photos from my Olympus camera (and yes I did switch to use the RAW photo) and didn't have the issue with blurry phots.
I use a few extensions and there are some that I have had issues after a photo is first edited in Apple Photos and then go to an Extension, so the system, is far from perfect. Though using the Edit With command in Apple Photos does seem to eliminate most of the issues.

Reactions: arkitect

Untalented_Clod

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2023
I've had this issue since upgrading to Ventura. I find it particularly frustrating because the version number is now 9.0 indicating an upgrade. How could they have missed something so fundamental? I'm just glad I didn't upgrade to Sonoma because the ONLY thing I need was for Photos to work. Now I guess I'll just wait for the second update to Sonoma.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect and katbel

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

For my purposes I gave up on Apple Photos as a RAW editor.
Too many issues as you found out.

I just stick to DXO PhotoLab 6 on Mac and Snapseed on iOS (That is if it does not crash!)

I still use Apple Photos as my main photo repository of edited pics as it is just so easy.
Any RAW originals live on another drive.

Reactions: katbel

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Yes, the developer for RAW Power was a lead on Apple's late lamented Aperture pro photography application, which was exceptional. He definitely has the chops.
I like RAW Power quite a lot, but is it still being developed, or is it another dead end?

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
I like RAW Power quite a lot, but is it still being developed, or is it another dead end?
We get updates time to time, last one was 2 weeks ago. You can check it on the Apple Store

katbel

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
Sonoma still has issues as well, reading the latest answers : Apple forums doesn't order the answers in a time order, so it's very messy to get to the latest if you don't sign in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.