Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Not all Skylake variations are ready to ship NOW.

The desktop versions have just been announced, and will ship this fall.

But I bet Apple will be one of the first customers.

Surface Pro and Windows 10 with Skylake begs to differ. They are ramping up for a big splash.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Plenty of price sensitive people will buy the base model and be disappointed with the performance. Even for basic tasks, a 5400 RPM HDD will cause noticeable slowdown when running Yosemite.

Fusion drive should be standard at least. For a company that pushes flash storage as the future so much, you'd think they would at least make some form of SSD standard. I thought Apple was finally making the jump with the first 5K iMac, but lost hope with the $1999 5K model. I'd still think that they should just give the option to use cheaper SATA III SSDs as standard, have PCIe as BTO, and drop HDD Altogether.

Reactions: redheeler

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I suppose internal harddrives are going to be history soon. If you need more space, Apple could say "buy a Time Capsule" or other external HD.
Oh dear. I just imagined...

"Available TODAY, the new 21" iMac. Entry model comes with 16 GB SSD, but for mere $100 more you can upgrade to 64 GB, and for $200 to 128 GB. It also has one USB-C slot, which enables you to connect the power cable, an external hard drive or an external display. It is our thinnest iMac yet!"

Reactions: Mcmeowmers

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Could I suggest you run down to your nearest Windows store today, purchase your spec Windows machine and when you get it home put an Apple logo on it. That's the only way you're likely to get what you want I'm afraid.

I know and its so sad.

The BIGGEST ? Computer Hardware maker in the world can't make a desktop computer for it's users that has inside it, the best? consumer parts on the market today.
It's such a dam shame.
So many people would adore Apple to offer such a device. And they could.
They could be THE one that those "into" computers would love to buy.

Why they don't offer just 1 range or even just 1 machine like this, alongside their other machines I don't know.

I can only assume they feel they cannot compete. It's a shame really :(

Reactions: johnnyturbouk

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I know and its so sad.

The BIGGEST ? Computer Hardware maker in the world can't make a desktop computer for it's users that has inside it, the best? consumer parts on the market today.
It's such a dam shame.
So many people would adore Apple to offer such a device. And they could.
They could be THE one that those "into" computers would love to buy.

Why they don't offer just 1 range or even just 1 machine like this, alongside their other machines I don't know.

I can only assume they feel they cannot compete. It's a shame really :(

It's not about cutting edge with Apple. It's all about revenue and profits.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
Indeed.

Facts is, their notebooks are still pretty competitively priced, all things considered.

But the desktop lineup is a disgrace, period. Overpriced and underspec'd.

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland

"Available TODAY, the new 21" iMac. Entry model comes with 16 GB SSD, but for mere $100 more you can upgrade to 64 GB, and for $200 to 128 GB. It also has one USB-C slot, which enables you to connect the power cable, an external hard drive or an external display. It is our thinnest iMac yet!"

It's been almost three years since Apple introduced the current iMac generation with slim aluminum unibody. This or the coming year they could introduce the next generation. And why not treat iMac's like they did Macbooks.

Perhaps we'll see iMac and iMac Pro. iMac could be even thinner, like a big screen tablet on a stick.. and Pro models are like current ones but with better cooling system. Both could have retina displays, but Pro's are individually calibrated.
iMac's would come with laptop HW, PCI x2 SSD and non replaceable components.
Pro's would come with desktop HW, PCI x4 SSD and like nMP, you could change RAM and SSD.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
You're going to get kicked off this forum if you don't stop it with the praise. Don't you know the procedure around here? Whenever a new Apple upgrade/product rumor is announced you're supposed to go on some rant about how Apple isn't doing it right, because they aren't making the new product specifically for your needs, or it's priced too high for the hardware, or the ports aren't right, or the ATI GPU is crap, or the Nvidia GPU is crap, or the Intel GPU is crap, or the shade of the aluminum is the wrong color or something.

Far too much positivity on your part, my friend.

Ten thousand apologies.

I forgot my place.

/hail Apple!
//sorry I meant Hail Hydra!
///iMac really is awesome ;)

Reactions: kazmac

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The chips for the 27 inch iMac are already out. Not sure about the 21.5 inch ones but it won't be a year.

No they're not, read the Skylake post from earlier this week. They hope to have something available by the end of the year. Apple won't be rushing to include them as they refreshed the pricing of the Retina iMac early this year and introduced a lower end model and the 21" Retina iMac due to be announced on 9th is coming with Broadwell chips.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Skylake systems are already coming out and starting to ship September and October. There is no reason Apple could not start releasing Skylake systems this year.

They wont, look at the Skylake roadmap post earlier this week - Intel "hope" to have Skylake chips suitable for the iMac out by the end of the year. Apple won't be rushing to include them as they don't benefit desktop systems much and they already price dropped the Retina iMac mid 2015 and included a new model with a low clocked chip. The 21" Retina iMac is going to get a broadwell processor too as noted here.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The new Macbook starts out with 256 GB and the 11" MBA with 128 GB. Apple realises that a Mac is still sort of a digital hub (compared to iOS devices which mostly start at 16 GB).

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
The BIGGEST ? Computer Hardware maker in the world can't make a desktop computer for it's users that has inside it, the best?
Apple simply considered that more people will appreciate a 5K screen than a high-end GPU.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Apple simply considered that more people will appreciate a 5K screen than a high-end GPU.

I don't think that is the real issue. The problem is Apple are so obsessed by making slimmer and slimmer products they only way they can achieve this (due to heat issues) is to use mainly mobile components.

The Laptop on a stick quip most oft used is a pretty fair assessment I'm afraid.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I don't think that is the real issue. The problem is Apple are so obsessed by making slimmer and slimmer products they only way they can achieve this (due to heat issues) is to use mainly mobile components.

The Laptop on a stick quip most oft used is a pretty fair assessment I'm afraid.
Given that the vast majority of users are happy with laptop performance, creating a laptop on a stick might not be a bad idea.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Given that the vast majority of users are happy with laptop performance, creating a laptop on a stick might not be a bad idea.

People were happy with horses when they never experienced cars.
People were happy with candy bar phones until they experienced smart phones.

Give someone a iMac with a PROPER video card, show them what it can do, and what their graphics could look and perform like, then after a week, take it away and give them a real iMac again, THEN see how happy they are, having experienced something so much better.

How do you know any better if you've never experienced anything better?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
People were happy with horses when they never experienced cars.
People were happy with candy bar phones until they experienced smart phones.

Give someone a iMac with a PROPER video card, show them what it can do, and what their graphics could look and perform like, then after a week, take it away and give them a real iMac again, THEN see how happy they are, having experienced something so much better.
I would bet most people wouldn't even notice if you didn't tell them (gamers and video editors obviously excluded as most people aren't gamers or video editors, some people doing image editing might also notice).

Everybody with a Mac that has a discrete graphic card can switch that off and use the Intel-integrated one instead (third-party software might be required). That is a simple test a lot of people can perform except for your hypothetical one and one with a much lower standard.

DanR16

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
The chips for the 27 inch iMac are already out. Not sure about the 21.5 inch ones but it won't be a year.
If this is true would it not make sense for Apple to release the 27 inch iMac at the upcoming September event. Not only would this fit in with Ming-Chi kuo's prediction of new iMacs this quarter, new Macs announced at this event would be launched on the final day of the back to school promotion. The second point may just be a coincidence but so far everyone seems convinced of an October release which wouldn't fit in with Ming-Chi Kuo's prediction, nor would it make sense for Apple to launch new iMacs in October when there won't be the usual iPad event.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Finally. My parents are desperate to replace their 2007 iMac. I keep telling them to hold off just a little longer...once this comes out, I will tell them that it's time.

In 2008 I bought my Mac Pro to replace my 2002 iMac, the igloo model. It and its display would have worked if I had been able to replace whatever failed inside it easily. Then I would not have bought a Mac Pro. I have several external FW HDDs which I have no use for today with 4 bays internally. It would be nice to have at least one USB 3.0 port, however.

I refuse to buy a retina IMac until they can be used as an external monitor like the non retina iMacs. Nothing worse than spending $2k on an iMac and not being able to use it as a display when it becomes too slow in the future.

My 2008 Apple Cinema Display is still functioning without problems. I keep it on the dimmest setting.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
They wont, look at the Skylake roadmap post earlier this week - Intel "hope" to have Skylake chips suitable for the iMac out by the end of the year.

"Hope" makes it sound like huge doubt. The roadmap article from earlier in the week pointed to i7-6700, i5-6600 , i5-6400 as being options. https://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/02/intel-skylake-notebooks-desktops/

Intel is shipping and users can buy an i5-6600K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561

That is the overclocked version of i5-6600. So to ship a version that doesn't require overclocking capabilities is going to be hard for Intel to do over next 1-1.5 months? It is the same chip with an optional feature turned off. "before the end of the year" probably isn't anything like won't see light of day until Dec 15th or later.

Intel's product inventory system lists i5-6600, 6500, 6400 as being launched in Q3 '15.

http://ark.intel.com/products/family/88393/6th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors#@Desktop

Core i7 6700K is a bit harder to get but systems can be bought now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...TCH&Description=core+i7-6700k&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Again the Core i7 6700 model is same chip just with overclock turned off. Not a rocket science leap.

Apple won't be rushing to include them as they don't benefit desktop systems much

Gen 6 (Skylake) isn't about x86 Geebench scores, it is about bandwidth. TB v3. The chipset that comes with Gen 6 makes it far more easier for Apple to provide the iMac with discrete GPU + TB v3 + x4 PCI-e v3 SSD. A desktop Gen 5 ( Broadwell) system can really do that well.

Apple put alot of effort into helping create TB v3..... it is doubtful they are going to sit on the sidelines.

if loo at the roadmap article the MacBook ( CoreM ) and iMac ( mainstream Core i5-i7 ) are really the only two viable options.

and they already price dropped the Retina iMac mid 2015

Mainly because the asking price of 5K panels isn't anywhere near a skewed as when they first launched. There are several panels well below the iMac price points now. At some point the Retina 27" iMac is replace the non-Retina version around the normal iMac 27" price points. Pretty good chance Apple will remove the non Retina 27" from the market when they introduce the Retina 21.5" models which probably overlap a bit more in price points.

and included a new model with a low clocked chip.

That iMac model is hardly anything to write home about. It has a MBA chip in it; actually the one from 2014. It isn't even the 2015 MBA ( Broadwell) update.

The 21" Retina iMac is going to get a broadwell processor too as noted here.

Nothing particularly exclude that being some prototype or placeholder. Broadwell would have made sense in June but in Oct-Nov... not so much. There are better options.

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
Nothing particularly exclude that being some prototype or placeholder. Broadwell would have made sense in June but in Oct-Nov... not so much. There are better options.

Huh, what options? Did Intel release Skylake's with Iris Pro? Broadwell is the only one-chip solution atm. Skylake's with Iris Pro are scheduled for next year.

"Meanwhile for SKUs with Intel's high end Iris and Iris Pro integrated graphics – the 2+3 and 4+4 die configurations – Intel will also be launching these at a later time. For the Iris configurations Intel is staying relatively vague for the moment, telling the press that we should expect to see those parts launch in Q4'15/Q1'16." - Anandtech

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.