Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
We need a ... 128GB ... iPod touch, then we can retire the iPod classic.

This might be the year when they hit that mark and retire the old spinning hard drive forever. I'm surprised Apple hasn't just loaded the old Classic with SSDs until it was 200+GB, and slap some large price tag on it.

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
We need an 8GB iPod shuffle for $49, 32GB ipod nano for $149 and a 32/64/128GB for $199/299/399 iPod touch, then we can retire the iPod classic.

No need to change the form factor for the iPod shuffle and nano, just slap in some new colors. Also raise the processor of the touch to an A7.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I really hope the iPod won't die off

When you can get a Verizon Motorola G between $50 to $80 out the door and use it as a media device these iPods have no chance. Even the unlocked 16gig Motorola G at $195 is a better value. My daughter uses hers on Ptel prepaid for only texting/phone and $10 last 2 months. She uses data only at home or on wifi. 2 cent a text and 5 cent a call last her a long time. This iPod touch can't "touch" that flexibility at that price range.
Ipods are dead. When people upgrade their iPhones this fall those older models will be hand me downs. My coworker even offered her iPhone 5 to me for free when she upgrades. It's Apple's greedy pricing scheme that has allowed this model to die and to eliminate a $3 rear camera in the first place was a bad move.

https://slickdeals.net/coupons/best-buy/

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
This is garbage. You can buy a much faster unlocked phone for the price of this device now.

Upgrade the processor already Apple! My children love your iPod, but the CPU is way overdue.

Nope.

Apple controls the hardware and software experience so CPU and RAM are largely irrelevant. The software is highly optimised to be lean and only requires modest specs to deliver buttery smooth experiences.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I love my iPod touch

I wonder how many of you are actual iPod touch users?

I've been carrying one around with me everyday for the past 3 years, and I love it. Why?

No monthly fee! I'm not into making phone calls, especially since i can text or email me people. Its much cheaper for me to have a prepaid flip phone nearby

Facetime audio:
if you and more of your friends embraced FaceTime audio, then your iPod touch can make calls.

public wifi is becoming more common each day. if you carry an iPod touch around like me you'll find out fast how many and where they are.

I see all these iPhone users, and when one of them says to me I finally got my monthly bill down to $50-60 per month I just cringe.

embrace the iPod touch and you'll thank me. as matter of fact you can call me on it via FaceTime audio and it won't cost us anything.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
What we really need, what I need, is 128/256gb device at same price as current 32gb device. i want to have my whole library on my iPod. I'm still rocking an iPod Classic b/c it fits my whole library, plus I like the actual tactile controls more than having to always LOOK at the device to swipe the screen. But I hate having to try to decide what tunes go onto a smaller capacity device.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Nope.

Apple controls the hardware and software experience so CPU and RAM are largely irrelevant. The software is highly optimised to be lean and only requires modest specs to deliver buttery smooth experiences.

Yes but specs do matter to many people. And when the cost difference between a A5 to A7 and a 5mp to 8mp camera is less than $20 in part cost you start to see that Apple is purposely doing it to sale $650 phones. Why even put out a watered down product at a high cost compared to what's on the market? You can get a 16gig 1080p Nexus 7 new today at Sams Club for $170 bucks.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Smart move, but it really needs an A6 chip at least. The A5 will get iOS 8, but how much longer is it going to last?

It seemed that Apple was moving to a 2 year cycle on the iPod design, but does this mean that the iPod Touch will not get the larger screens that the iPhone is getting. This will be the 1st time Apple didn't follow suit with that.

Again, it makes sense given the declining sales, but in some ways not updating the iPod Touch will cause sales to further drop.

Clearly with smartphones evolving, people on other platforms don't really need an iPod anymore. So Apple slowly phasing it out seems like what will eventually happen over time.

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
they've just been updated

they just updated them now. prices range from $199-299 with same processor.

Does this mean they will sticking the an A5 iPod touch for a some time or do you think they are trying to clean house and will be giving it a faster chip later on?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
How about an iPod Nano with more than just the pathetic 16 Gigs of storage?! I need something smaller than the Touch for the gym and the subway and I don't want to use my iPhone. It has no storage left for my music and the battery is not big enough for my long days anyway.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
We need an 8GB iPod shuffle for $49, 32GB ipod nano for $149 and a 32/64/128GB for $199/299/399 iPod touch, then we can retire the iPod classic.

What we need are better memory upgrade prices... $100 to double is ludicrous in 2014. The manufacturing price of memory is so minor - 16G flash keys are often $10, 32G for $25 and 64G for $45 at RETAIL PRICES.

We could easily ditch the 32G products from the range: 16G (for entry level users), 64G for cost effective large memory device and premium 128G for the "carry it all" tech heads. With $50 price jumps.

That might reinvigorate iPod sales.

Or perhaps, just keep the 16G version of the 4" model. And add 32/64/128 versions of 5.5" iPod Touch. Perfect gaming device to kill off PSP and 3DS: better battery, bigger screen, thinner.

Wirbowsky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Belgium
No as much in the Touch line. A 16GB keeps the entry price down and a 3-10 y.o. doesn't really need more than 16GB. That's really who this model is for. Little kids think they have the same phone as mommy and daddy, and it's an iPhone trainer for older kids.

Honest question. Do people really give an ipod to three years old kids? My daughter is 3,5 year old and it has never crossed my mind to do that. I encourage her to listen to music and try musical instrument but I would not give her an ipod or similar devices.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
^just kill it off.

They cant, unless they want Retail stores and Businesses to purchase a $700 dollar off contract iPhone plus a $500 dollar Linea Pro barcode scanner/credit card sleeve (the one apple store uses) for a total of $1200.

big companies can afford it, but even then they would like to cut expenses if they can.

smaller companies will buy 2 instead of 4 or 6. it doesnt make sense.

do they want to give the business industry to android? horrible mistake.

Retail stores want to take orders with it, Manufacturers/brand names of any industry want it to use it for their showrooms or trade shows

most dont need a use for an iPhone, unless its for a traveling salesman.

with that said they really need to update the processor on that, we had to optimize our iPhone App just for the 5th Gen iTouch because it was using an iPad 2 processor. iPhone was completely fine.

so no i dont think it will die out, if it does they definitely will get hurt in the business industry, and smaller and cheaper businesses will defer to androids.

even though that 16 GB won't haVe an upgraded processor it can still be used with our app since we optimized it. I'm sure the updated ones will be 32 GB with a better processor

iTouch 5th Gen 16GB iTouch 6th Gen iPhone Off Contract
200+500 = 700 300+500 = 800 700+500 = 1200

4 = 2800 4 = 3200 4 = 4,800

its just unreasonable, like i said most 95% of them dont need a data plan on their devices unless they are a traveling salesman.

And No Purchasing old iPhones and using them isn't a sound choice, with new versions of iOS, implementing new features that take more ram. its just prone to crashing and it make us spend the labor to optimize code for outdated devices, when we can spend the time creating new features and adding new components.

**** the kids, horrible business decision when if they discontinue it. Do they want their competitors to take the business industry like how the windows OS did?

edit: just wait a couple years, iTouch sales will see an increase because almost every business wants to move to mobile devices than these old MSDOS type register systems.

much better to because they can move around and help the customer rather than going back to their computer and checking for the price, inventory or what not.

remember as a kid when you wanted to check for an items price when it didnt have it? you'd have to go with the guy to either the register or to a scanning station.

this is going to be the future.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This might be the year when they hit that mark and retire the old spinning hard drive forever. I'm surprised Apple hasn't just loaded the old Classic with SSDs until it was 200+GB, and slap some large price tag on it.

How about the other way? How about take those much larger capacity hard drives of the classic and build a iTouch around it? Then it becomes the iOS device with huge storage without having to have a huge price too.

Yes, that backwards (old technology) and yes that's probably making it a little "thicker" which is absolutely forbidden given the overwhelming consumer demand for "thinner" :rolleyes: but it does push 2 hot buttons: BIG storage in a small iOS device at a low price.

Personally, I'd like to buy THAT iTouch. It could retire the classic with it's huge storage while bringing all the rest of the niceties of iOS. SSDs may be the future but big SSDs still cost too much and those little hard drives in the classic sure took beatings and still lasted for many years. Battery life never seemed to be much of a problem either, nor was the thickness of the Classic holding that hard drive and lasting battery.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
My pink iPod needs a new friend. :D

Tempting.

I have the 64GB, the problem I have with it is that I fully loaded it with stuff an it's slow as a molasses.

Is the 5th gen iPod slow? I used the 4th gen up until last week and while it's sluggish it wasn't unusable.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Yes! The iPodTouch is an amazing product.

The iPodTouch is a small computer and fits it's niche perfecty, having just about everything the iPhone has, just about the same as an iPad but it is less expensive, smaller (pocket sized) and doesn't require a subscription (phone plan). That's a huge win.

Not everyone needs a cell phone. Not everyone has cellular service. I don't want my kids all having cell phones.

We have six iPodTouches in our family. Every one of us has our own. We use them for music, podcasts, books, games, mail, web browsing, etc. We could not possibly afford six iPhones. We do not need to have six cell phones - even if we actually had cellular phone coverage which we don't. A lot of people do not need a cell phone but the iPodTouch has all the other features without the added cost of the cell phone.

It's a fantastic product and it is still bringing in billions of dollars for Apple as well as serving users well.

Bravo to Apple! Please, keep updating the iPodTouch.

----------

^just kill it off.

Your arrogance is astounding. If you don't want it, just don't buy it.

Meanwhile the iPodTouch is a fantastic product for a very large number of people who do not need a cell phone but want the web browsing, mail, iBooks, PDF reading, music, podcasts, games and other Apps that run on the iOS platform in a small pocket size package.

If you don't want something don't buy it but no need for you to be an arse about it. Don't take away other people's options. Fortunately, you don't matter.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
new iPod touch

I would consider purchasing one for my grandkids who absolutely love music but the price should really be $99, not $199. Very, very expensive device at this late stage of development. There are so many brands to consider and Apple keeps out pricing themselves even when iPods have slowed down in sales.:(

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Honest question. Do people really give an ipod to three years old kids? My daughter is 3,5 year old and it has never crossed my mind to do that. I encourage her to listen to music and try musical instrument but I would not give her an ipod or similar devices.

Yes. I have many friends who's small kids have iPod touches in ruggedized cases. They mostly use them to keep kids occupied in the car, plane, or when on errands. There are lots of "educational" games on the touch or load in your own PBS or Nickelodeon videos. The kids love it and the parent do too because the kids aren't trying to grab their phone from them accompanied by the melt down when the parent says "no."

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Time they need to get rid of the sixteen and go 32 and above.

That's what Apple tried when they first announced the iPod touch 5th Generation. Clearly there wasn't enough of a bite from the consumers. For iPhones that idea makes sense, for iPod touch users (mainly children, whose parents pay for it), it doesn't. Most parents want to spend the least they can on something that doesn't make phone calls, but keeps there kids happy.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I would consider purchasing one for my grandkids who absolutely love music but the price should really be $99, not $199. Very, very expensive device at this late stage of development. There are so many brands to consider and Apple keeps out pricing themselves even when iPods have slowed down in sales.:(

To be fair the 5th gen iPod touch probably costs right around $99 to build. The Nano on the otherhand should be lowered to $99.

The IPT5 is essentially a smartphone without the phone. The 4 inch retina screen alone is pricey. I think at $199 it's at a pretty sweet spot for 16gb... 64gb for 299 is even more worth it, but Apple also makes about $50 more off of you.

----------

No, not initially. When you have like 100MB left, that's when it goes crazy.

Ah... have you tried restoring your iPod? It's odd that flash memory usage would slow down your device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.