Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hopstretch

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
$5,000,000 revenue on 270,000 units... do the math and you'll see that quite a few of those "units" weren't iPhones.
Doesn't tell you anything. They're not booking all the iPhone sale revenue at once. It's being deferred over a two-year period so they can provide software enhancements without having to levy the stupid charge that came with the wireless-n upgrades.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Unless you're buying the phone with some wacky Apple financing, you're paying the purchase price at time of purchase. Those numbers don't add up...

No, you are wrong.

Peace, revenue is being deferred over 24 months, not 12

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
Anyone having trouble connecting to the Financial Conference Call? I don't know if my corporate network is cutting me off or if it's just crappy QuickTime streaming doing it's thing. I have not been impressed with QuickTime streaming since day 1.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Or people here need to learn to read Accounting charts. When the chart says Units is means units. The other items are included in the revenue not the units. 270,000 is the correct number of units sold.

Except that "The Street"'s article clearly states "Apple sold 270,000 iPhones in its just completed fiscal third quarter, the company said Wednesday." which is clearly false.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
$5,000,000 revenue on 270,000 units... do the math and you'll see that quite a few of those "units" weren't iPhones.

Not to contradict you directly, but since Apple said they would realize the revenue from the iPhones over a (two year?) period can you simply take that revenue number and divide that by 270,000? Don't you need a correction factor of some sort?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The iPhone revenues are being spread out over a 12 month period.
Multiply $5 Mil, X 12 = $60 Mil. in sales the first 2 days.

Apple iPhone revenues are spread out over 24 months, the life of the contract.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Huh? Not so great?

Stop believing analysts. Most are professional guessers.

Amen to that brother.

I bought Apple back after the stock tanked in 2000 (for no reason) and my broker thought I was crazy. I explained to him that I believed and understood what the company was doing (something that Warren Buffett recommends) and bought. When the stock ran to $45, I was stoked. Sold some after the spilt and watched it run again and again. On Monday I was advised to sell, but choose to hold on.

I heard from more people that AT&T said that they sold 146,000 iPhones (which is still a record for phone sales in 30 hours) and I kept explaining that they AT&T stated an activation number, no more. But no one wanted to understand that. Oh well.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
Nasdaq's After Hours quotes already shows AAPL shooting up from where it was prior to the press release, although its about even with the market close price still right now. They're volatile, though. We'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

I show it up $7.83 (for the day) ... now $8.64 to $143.51

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Nasdaq's After Hours quotes already shows AAPL shooting up from where it was prior to the press release, although its about even with the market close price still right now. They're volatile, though. We'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

Falling in after-hours, actually, by around $2-3/share.

The focus is going to be on the iPhone numbers which aren't as spectacular as some expected, and Apple's typically cautious guidance for the 4th quarter.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
LOL! The people who write these reports are so clever.

270,000 in "iPhones and Apple-branded and third-party iPhone accessories" sold during the first two days of sales for the iPhone.

I thought there's no way they can avoid the bad news for the couple of days that are in the quarter.

'Course, reading between the lines: obscuring exactly how many iPhones were sold means they, themselves are disappointed by the sales (so the much higher figures estimated around launch weren't just analysts' expectations, but might have been in line with Apple's own expectations).

Interesting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.