Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Could be that this new phone is actually the cheaper, off-contract phone we've been hearing about? The one that is supposed to compete with the less expensive Androids out there.

isnt that the role of the 3GS at them moment minus the off contract

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Real world performance, HSPA+ is slightly faster than the current generation of LTE.

It all depends on locality. I've seen LTE be faster, WiMax be faster and HSPA+ be faster (but never AT&T's, only T-mobiles).

Long term, LTE will be faster than HSPA+ Current LTE phones will not support the more advanced forms of LTE.

Nor should anyone expect them to, as LTE advanced is years out.

Current generation HSPA+ chips use less power (Next generation LTE should drink fewer electrons, but they are not out yet.) Every HSPA tower can be upgraded to HSPA+ with nothing more than a software upgrade (To get full speed, you will need to update the backhaul for both standards.)

Doesn't change the fact that HSPA+ is a dead-end. Why delay upgrading your towers for LTE when it's clearly the future?

If you look at the phones that will be released in two years, LTE will be better. Today, HSPA+ is the preferred choice.

I've seen no clear consensus on that. For instance, HSPA+ here in Los Angeles is no better than any other 3G variants. I never see speeds on my inspire 4g higher than what I did with my iphone 4.

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Thinner, I don't care, but lighter would be awesome!! That's a big reason why I switched to Android, because Samsung made lighter phones. That would make me really tempted to switch back. However, I agree with other posters: they really need to make this thing LTE...

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
It's going to start being a pain to hold if it gets any thinner. I hate how thin the iPod touch is. It looks cool, but not that functional.

you didn't get used to the thinness? i had the same issue as you but got used to it...

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Thinner, I don't care, but lighter would be awesome!! That's a big reason why I switched to Android, because Samsung made lighter phones. That would make me really tempted to switch back. However, I agree with other posters: they really need to make this thing LTE...

Then you will be disappointed. HSPA+, and CDMA. 4G ain't ready for the masses. Needs another year. Like Sept 2012.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Doesn't change the fact that HSPA+ is a dead-end. Why delay upgrading your towers for LTE when it's clearly the future?

LTE as implemented today is just as much a dead end. It is just a dead end that sucks many more electrons.

I've seen no clear consensus on that. For instance, HSPA+ here in Los Angeles is no better than any other 3G variants. I never see speeds on my inspire 4g higher than what I did with my iphone 4.

You may be looking at a place where they have upgraded to the HSPA+ software, but not the backhaul. The software upgrade is easy. Giving the tower the bandwidth to use it requires upgrading the infrastructure. The same upgrade that would be required for LTE.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's going to start being a pain to hold if it gets any thinner. I hate how thin the iPod touch is. It looks cool, but not that functional.

If you think a device is too thin for you, put a bumper or other case on it that's big enough to make it comfortable enough for you to hold

Can't do that if a phone is already too thick.

And if a phone is exactly the right size, then any protective case will make it too big. So a bit on the thin side gives users more choices to customize it to their liking.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I am looking forward to the upgrade, if for no other reason, I want to pull Lojack, (The cell phone I have wired into my car electronics to play music and find my car) out and put in my iP4 with it's bigger battery. Phone of the Dog lasts longer, so I can check on my car when I am out of town.

If you think a device is too thin for you, put a bumper or other case on it that's big enough to make it comfortable enough for you to hold

Can't do that if a phone is already too thick.

And if a phone is exactly the right size, then any protective case will make it too big. So a bit on the thin side gives users more choices to customize it to their liking.

Perhaps a case that is also a big battery.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
LTE as implemented today is just as much a dead end. It is just a dead end that sucks many more electrons.

No, because the deployment of LTE technology for towers serves as structure for future LTE upgrades. This is not the case for HSPA+. Talking dead-end for the consumer is kind of pointless since consumer devices usually only last 1-2 years.

You may be looking at a place where they have upgraded to the HSPA+ software, but not the backhaul. The software upgrade is easy. Giving the tower the bandwidth to use it requires upgrading the infrastructure. The same upgrade that would be required for LTE.

That's my point. If current HSPA+ implementations don't have the backhaul to support them, it doesn't have a clear advantage over LTE.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
so many 4 owners on here that cant stand the next one is coming out and they will have the "old" one because of their two year contract

absynth

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
thinner = bigger screen

the only reason the galaxy s II is so thin is because they can spread out the parts over a larger area because of the big screen.

batteries arent magically gonna become that much better in a year so the only way they can make the iphone 5 noticably thinner is by making it bigger like the s II.
besides that i also expect its back to be curved towards the edges like the current ipod touch and ipad 2 to make it even more svelte. my money would be on liquidmetal to make it lighter and not have it interfere with reception.

i think all the rumors about "almost identical" phone might stem from an iphone 4s that's slightly faster, and made more affordable (less storage, maybe no front cam?)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
so many 4 owners on here that cant stand the next one is coming out and they will have the "old" one because of their two year contract

Actually, AT&T often moves upgrade dates up, and given that the span will be 14 months rather than 12 this time, many iphone 4 launch purchasers will likely be able to upgrade immediately if not before Christmas.

Even if they couldn't, iPhone resale value is high enough to where their iphone 4 could finance most of the early upgrade cost for an iphone 5.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
No, because the deployment of LTE technology for towers serves as structure for future LTE upgrades. This is not the case for HSPA+. Talking dead-end for the consumer is kind of pointless since consumer devices usually only last 1-2 years.

The backhaul upgrade for HSPA+ is the same backhaul upgrade for LTE. Much of the LTE hardware may need to be ripped out for the next version of LTE. The only part of the HSPA+ upgrade that does not port is the USB thumb drive you plug in to jack up the software.

That's my point. If current HSPA+ implementations don't have the backhaul to support them, it doesn't have a clear advantage over LTE.

LTE upgrade, is a backhaul upgrade and a bunch of hardware that might need to be ripped out for the next version. HSPA+ just needs the backhaul that will be needed either way. You are also forgetting the LTE battery suck problem that HSPA+ does not have.

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
Goes to show you have no idea what you are talking about. I have had LTE for months now, and its been flawless minus the one outage in its first few weeks. Regularly get 25mb down, 5 up... But again, keep making excuses for Apple.

Which network you running on?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

Agreed.

Backwards compatibility of LTE-Advanced was one of the (albeit small) strengths that helped it become a strong candidate for 4G ratification by the ITU-R.

Not all of us. I still happily run a G3 at home for an internet browsing system. The iPhone 4 is plenty fast for me as a cell phone. ;) .

AreYouIn?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That mockup looks awesome.

hinchesk

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
Canada
iPhone%205%20with%20x2%20LED%20flash.jpg

I like this design but can't get past that orange lettering.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The backhaul upgrade for HSPA+ is the same backhaul upgrade for LTE. Much of the LTE hardware may need to be ripped out for the next version of LTE. The only part of the HSPA+ upgrade that does not port is the USB thumb drive you plug in to jack up the software.

LTE upgrade, is a backhaul upgrade and a bunch of hardware that might need to be ripped out for the next version. HSPA+ just needs the backhaul that will be needed either way. You are also forgetting the LTE battery suck problem that HSPA+ does not have.

The advantages of HSPA+ are still irrelevant when AT&T specifically doesn't update backhaul to help it along. It's clear they want it for the 4G name only. LTE, on the other hand, they've demonstrated to be in the 20 MB/s (at least in the lab), and they have actual hard numbers to compete with from Verizon for that technology. T-Mobile's faster HSPA+ isn't a threat when they can't even grow their install base, particularly when you're about to buy them anyway.

Higher LTE power consumption isn't an issue relevant to prospective iPhone users right now. When it does come (likely in the form of a 28nm process radio from Qualcomm), improvements will have been made. This radio also supports HSPA+, so theoretically one could turn off LTE and rely on 3.5G HSPA+ (i.e., best of both worlds).

enforcer

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Lets hope it will be something more then just updated specs like A5 chip, 8mp camera. Otherwise the Android phones will already surpass the iPhone before its release in terms of hardware.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
There's an iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S II on my desk right now. They are the same thickness. The Galaxy has a significantly larger screen, but is significantly lighter because the case is plastic instead of glass and steel. Maybe the battery is smaller too.

The iPhone has better button placement, build quality, display quality, etc., but the Galaxy has me wishing Apple would make an iPhone with a larger display.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
There's an iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S II on my desk right now. They are the same thickness. The Galaxy has a significantly larger screen, but is significantly lighter because the case is plastic instead of glass and steel. Maybe the battery is smaller too.

The iPhone has better button placement, build quality, display quality, etc., but the Galaxy has me wishing Apple would make an iPhone with a larger display.

You think the iphone 4 beats the display? Pixel density, sure, but the galaxy s II should meet or beat in nearly every other metric.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.