Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Sorry if this is a silly question, but does Apple manufacture their systems in their own plants, or do they outsource to a third party company? So if they needed 5000 ibooks, for instance, do they tell Pete's Plant to produce 5000 of them? Thanks for feeding my curiosity.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
well they usually have different parts made in different countries and different companies... like they had some asian (taiwan?) company to amde the lcd's for the new imacs.. but they never have one company make a whole product for them...

irmongoose

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by irmongoose
well they usually have different parts made in different countries and different companies... like they had some asian (taiwan?) company to amde the lcd's for the new imacs.. but they never have one company make a whole product for them...

irmongoose

Yes, Ok. Just to clarify then;
The different comonents (screen, hard disk, etc.) are made by third parties (obviously) and then Apple puts it altogether themselves in their own manufacturing plants? So, Apple has entire factories where machines are built, then. It would be very interesting to see pictures of one of these..

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I believe the companies making the iBooks in particular, are Alpha Top and Quanta... both in Taiwan. I think the towers are the only Macs built in the US. .. but I don't think all of those are, either.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
IndyGopher, I think you can add Flextronics to that list. I read an article about them in Time a few months ago, and I believe they mentioned that Flextronics manufactured a certain Apple product (don't remember which) right along with a certain PC vendor's product (don't remember the vendor or the product).

Alex

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Apple has a plant in Ireland, and they used to assemble the original iMac.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Does Apple have an assembly plant in Australia? that would mean that i wouldn't have to wait for the new TiBooks to come all the way from the U.S or asia somewhere!!:D

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by cb911
Does Apple have an assembly plant in Australia? that would mean that i wouldn't have to wait for the new TiBooks to come all the way from the U.S or asia somewhere!!:D
No, there is no Apple assembly plant in Australia. And if there was, they probably wouldn't know where it was. And if they found it, they'd probably wonder what it was. And if they worked it out, they'd probably wouldn't tell anyone it existed.

Sorry... just don't like Apple Australia very much :mad:

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I read an article about this a while back but I couldn't find it.

However, if I remember correctly, Apple has 3 assembly plants - 2 in the US and one in Ireland. They assemble towers, the original iMacs and I think some TiBooks. Everything else is outsourced mostly in the Pacific rim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.