Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TechCrunch notes that Apple has removed online dating service Match.com's iOS app from the App Store over violations of the company's in-app subscription requirements. The Match.com app had allowed users to sign up for subscriptions to the service through an external link in the app, a mechanism that is no longer permitted by Apple as it has sought to drive usage of its in-app subscription services that sees Apple taking a 30% cut of revenues.
Apple has removed Match.com's iOS app because it allowed the lonely to pay for Match subscriptions with a credit card through an external link rather than using the in-app purchases system. That meant Apple wasn't getting its 30% cut. In June Apple revised its policy to state that "Apps can read or play approved content that is subscribed to or purchased outside of the app, as long as there is no button or external link in the app to purchase the approved content." Apple and Match.com are now negotiating how the app must change before their relationship can be rekindled and they can have an earth-shattering makeup revenue split.
Match.com can satisfy Apple's requirements either by offering an in-app option via Apple, which would result in Apple taking its 30% cut, or by simply omitting any links to external payment mechanisms. Under the latter scenario, users would have to know to visit the full Match.com site to sign up for a subscription, an extra step for users which may reduce the number of new subscribers but one that would enable Match.com to avoid having Apple skim off 30% of subscription revenue from the app.

match_com_ios.jpg

Apple had originally announced that the new in-app subscription requirements would go into effect on June 30th, but the company offered a grace period as it worked with some developers to help them meet the guidelines. Some developers and content providers such as the Financial Times ultimately decided not to adopt Apple's guidelines, and Apple has in those cases removed the apps from the App Store.

It is unclear why it took Apple five months from the official start of the new guideline enforcement to take the Match.com app down. The app was originally introduced back in March 2009 and had been receiving regular updates, but the most recent one had appeared in early June ahead of Apple's new policy implementation. Match.com may simply have been avoiding submitting any updates or investing further in the app while it either discussed options with Apple or hoped to remain under Apple's radar, but it seems that Apple has decided that the best way to encourage compliance was to remove the app for the time being.

Article Link: Apple Pulls Match.com iOS App over External Subscription Links

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Understandable. Good thing the Safari browser is good enough to use in the meantime.

Great app though. Used it to find my fiance. :D

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
How is Netflix allowed then, since that is subscription based?

dmblue

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
What a terrible practice Apple is doing with this.

how is it a terrible practice?

those are apple's rules in their store. if a certain company doesnt want to follow
it, they can take their business elsewhere

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
What a terrible practice Apple is doing with this.

I agree with you! I think it is horrible that McDonald's doesn't allow Burger King to sell the Whopper in their lobbies! How DARE they obstruct free enterprise. It's just Apple and McDonald's and Walmarts and Targets and Sears and Overstock.com and MacMall's (continue with any company you can think of)'s greed that makes them come up with policies that prevent other companies from selling in their business!

Down with the 1%!!!! Oh...and pay my student loans for me while your at it!

----------

How is Netflix allowed then, since that is subscription based?

AFAIK, you can't sign up for Netflix through the app. That's the point. You need to be a preexisting customer.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Netflix doesn't allow you to subscribe IN APP.

And I am sure it took 5 months for Apple to realize the "breach" because there are thousands and thousands of apps in the marketplace. I am sure they are either reviewing all in their due time or relying on users/competitors to report offending apps.

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I agree with you! I think it is horrible that McDonald's doesn't allow Burger King to sell the Whopper in their lobbies! How DARE they obstruct free enterprise. It's just Apple and McDonald's and Walmarts and Targets and Sears and Overstock.com and MacMall's (continue with any company you can think of)'s greed that makes them come up with policies that prevent other companions from selling in their business!

Exactly, how dare Apple tell me I can only use nails with their hammer if I pay Apple a 30% surcharge on each nail. :rolleyes:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Exactly, how dare Apple tell me I can only use nails with their hammer if I pay Apple a 30% surcharge on each nail.

This makes absolutely no sense. DO OVER

I still think this whole in-app purchasing thing is a raw deal and frankly, it sucks.

Why? in-app purchases give you the ability to enable extra features in an app without having to blindly buy all the features. It's giving you choice.

As for Apple taking a cut of the transactions that makes sense. They've cultivated the app stores and have millions of users with Apple ID backed via credit cards. Why would they let companies come to the table ..get free marketing and cut them out of the process.

The choice is rather simply. Gain access to millions of customers who are proven to spend on technology for a 30% fee or take your business elsewhere.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
how is it a terrible practice?

those are apple's rules in their store. if a certain company doesnt want to follow
it, they can take their business elsewhere

Not to mention, Apple’s rules have an upside: if all subscriptions are handled the same way, and it’s the same as your music and app buying (rather than giving your credit card out in random ways to many random companies) then the subscription process is very consistent, secure, trusted, and user-friendly. Now, it’s not friendly if the company chooses not to participate, but that’s their choice. Match.com would probably stand to make a lot of money AND please their customers* if they’d change their mind.

Most of what Apple does is for the sake of users first, and developers come second. User experience—not a 30% cut of subscriptions—is how Apple makes nearly all of its money!

* Well, maybe not please their customers :p Online dating is pretty close to a scam that preys on a bottomless resource: loneliness! False hope in exchange for a piece of your income :) (I haven’t tried Match, but I’ve tried others. And I have friends who have been burned by Match for no result.)

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
When browsers become capable of running rich 3d graphics and sound, OS-dependent apps will be only needed in some critical applications. So AppStore will be just one more site where people buy stuff. SJ's "dream" of having HTML5 Flash-like content will affect negatively the AppStore business.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Exactly, how dare Apple tell me I can only use nails with their hammer if I pay Apple a 30% surcharge on each nail. :rolleyes:

That is not a good analogy. More like having to have my doctor buy my hip implant...why can't I just go down to Walmart and pick one up and bring it with me to my surgery. I hear there are some good bargains on Craigslist.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
When browsers become capable of running rich 3d graphics and sound, OS-dependent apps will be only needed in some critical applications. So AppStore will be just one more site where people buy stuff. SJ's "dream" of having HTML5 Flash-like content will affect negatively the AppStore business.

One can only hope but it took Apple stonewalling Adobe just to get rid of Flash on mobile devices. I'm not too sure i'm placing my faith in the Web to deliver great user experiences.

The app store has shown the consumers want consistency and great access. The web can offer great access but fails a bit on the consistency (i.e multiple websites, logins, payment processing etc)

----------

Isn't match.com where all the fat girls go to find a guy?

No that's plenty of fish lol

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Think of how many of us men won't get laid because of this. Way to go :apple:

:mad:

So, only the men who use the service get laid?

The women who use the service don't get laid?

By that logic, if only the men get laid... then...um...women not getting laid...ah....who are the men screwing?

(OMG- other men!!???):eek:

:rolleyes: ;)

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
nagromme
What happens when corporations buy the government? Americans have returned to receiving 1960s wages, despite being twice as productive.

OT: Interesting chart here. I notice it started in 1971. So I looked up the graph for the budget deficit. Surprisingly, it began to balloon around the same time. I posit that that lost productivity is going to finance our government endless appetite for american's hard earned cash. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.