Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Matthew Rothenberg reviews Apple's recent product introductions in this eWeek article. He notes that Apple is planned for further pushes into the enterprise market:

Meanwhile (and perhaps closer to the concerns of most grown-up Mac veterans), my observers in the channel inform me that Apple is planning some new sales offensives to back up the Xserve in professional markets, including teaming up with server dealers who've worked with Unix warhorses such as Sun Microsystems and Hewlett-Packard.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Expiring Agreements with MS

There must have been some kind of non-compete agreement in that historic MS-Apple aliance several years ago.

In exchange for promoting MS apps Apple got Office commitment for several years, some needed cash and continued support - provided Apple didn't compete head on for OS marketshare with MS as we are seeing now.

You all asked for it, and now with the agreement expired (right about this month isn't it?) we get PC users switching to Mac testimonials direct from the mothership.

All the pieces are in place, OS X, pretty good hardware and i-apps. Now we just need to convert a "few market share points" to expand the base and grow the market and bring back all the innovative products we once had locked up (3D, peripherals, games).

Lets go Apple!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Expiring Agreements with MS

Originally posted by Sayer
In exchange for promoting MS apps Apple got Office commitment for several years, some needed cash and continued support - provided Apple didn't compete head on for OS marketshare with MS as we are seeing now.

You all asked for it, and now with the agreement expired (right about this month isn't it?) we get PC users switching to Mac testimonials direct from the mothership.

Now I can't wait to see what MS has in response. They did try the .net approach and are still pushing it, now Apple comes along a puts a wrench into the works.

I'm curious to see how this will effect relations in the future, especially with MSOffice and IE - we're still waiting for IE6, how long has it been?

welborn

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2002
Cambridge, MA
Dead-horse kicking

At the risk of kicking a dead horse ...

Microsoft could win big-time by letting Apple know all about Windows internals, porting .Net to OS X, and shipping a Cocoa implementation within Windows.

Then imagine an OS X on Intel release with a Wine-type ability to run Windows apps on top of it.

Of course, this all fits into my dream world where Microsoft is split into several companies (OS, office apps, hardware, internet apps) and Apple splits itself up into two companies (hardware -- making kick-ass PPC and Intel machines -- and software, making OS X and iApps)

Then developers could write in either Cocoa (without the .Net licensing stuff) or .Net and it would run on either platform.

MS would certainly reduce the claims of monopoly if it were to closely cooperate like that.

Just my dream for the day...

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: Dead-horse kicking

Originally posted by welborn
Just my dream for the day...

my dream involves a large sledge hammer and a few wintel boxes from my workplace.... ah office space was such an inspiring movie :)

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Re: Re: Re: Dead-horse kicking

Originally posted by topicolo

well, here's something sure to make you happy :)Blowtorched PC components

:):):D:D

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

:)

that's EXACTLY what i need to go do at work tomorrow... i don't suppose i'd get in too much trouble for torching my boss's machine?

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Re: Re: Expiring Agreements with MS

Originally posted by dukestreet

Now I can't wait to see what MS has in response. They did try the .net approach and are still pushing it, now Apple comes along a puts a wrench into the works.

I'm curious to see how this will effect relations in the future, especially with MSOffice and IE - we're still waiting for IE6, how long has it been?

Future relations with MS and Apple might not be the same, but at the same time if MS drops Apple support the government will give them a very hard time about it. MS uses Apple as an example of competition. I'm also sure Apple has potential law suits up its own sleeve to bombard MS with if they decide to pull Apple products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.