Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Let us know how long she lasts.

Why wouldn't she? It doesn't force the upgrade on you. I expect that she'll stick with iOS 9 until there's either a compelling reason to upgrade with iOS 11 or something, or until she upgrades her device. I think her plan is to upgrade at the same time I do, so probably not for 1-3 years.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
My wife's been dismissing the nag screen for a while now.
She's read some of the issues people are having with iOS10 on the 6+ and she doesn't want the headache.
My 6S+ came with iOS10 preinstalled (picked it up as a cheap replacement after returning Note 7).
The two iPads we have are not getting iOS10 due to them no longer being supported. (iPad 2 and iPad mini).

Double0CK7

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
No issues, nothing seems different really. Doesn't feel like a big update. Can't see no reason not to upgrade other than swipe to unlock and the new control centre.

Oh and the notification bubbles are annoying, can never get them to pull down, a bit like trying to change brightness or volume in new control centre. You need to take a sec and make sure your finger is directly on the bar or the notification will just move about screen same with control centre. Just seems unnecessary.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
It's staggering how quickly customers are adopting new versions of iOS on all their devices. It's a massive vote of confidence in Apple and everything they continue to do to delight us.
Not really. They're forcing the install on people. For anyone who wants to stay with 9 it means being constantly badgered and extra careful not to tap the wrong thing. How is what they're doing even legal?

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I really hate the constant nagging to update. Apple never used to do this under Steve Jobs. Every time it happens, it causes me to lose my love for Apple. The reminder is completely unnecessary and serves solely to antagonise. There should be one reminder, and that's it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Why does anyone care how many people use whatever OS except Apple? Doesn't matter to me that 100 million people have installed iOS (x.x.x). I ain't changing my OS until my phone dies and I have to get a new one.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The impressive thing here is not so much the 54% adoption rate of iOS 10, as the 92% combined adoption rate of iOS 9 & 10. Yes, sure, they're pushy about it - because it's a good thing that many people would otherwise put off (like, say, voter registration). But having one of the latest two versions of the OS on nearly every device keeps them more secure, and means developers can focus on making their code work with the latest versions of the OS, rather than having to support half a dozen or more different versions, some of them quite ancient.
[doublepost=1476210260][/doublepost]
That's why we should be allowed to update security fixes and still avoid silly UI changes.
Allowed? It's not a matter of permissions, the code is intertwined - what you're asking for is them to divide their resources between many more versions of the OS - redoing the same work in multiple places, and reverifying that all the changes play well with each other. I'd rather have them focus their work on the one or two newest versions of the OS, which is what they're doing with iOS 9 & 10.

Yeah, I kinda miss slide-to-unlock. Took me a couple days to stop trying it out of habit, and I ended up turning on Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open, because I'm on a 6, which doesn't have raise-to-wake and has the older/slower TouchID, so it makes opening/unlocking a little quicker. But losing slide-to-unlock is a small price to pay for getting better notifications on the main screen, the slide over to get to widgets (which I'm using more now), and the much improved Control Center - yes, it's multiple panes, but the buttons are quicker to hit, the colors are quicker to parse, and I have some Hue lights, so the Control Center access to HomeKit is a big win for me.

There are a number of places in iOS 10 where they've made text and buttons bigger, which looks less pretty, but once you get used to it, makes it faster/better to actually use. Maps and Music come to mind. Maps isn't as pretty as it was before, which made me sad, but then I used it in the car (phone in a dashboard mount for navigation) and it all became so clear - it provides useful/needed information more quickly than the old version did. I find iOS 10 to have a more pragmatic and useful interface, overall, than iOS 9. Still miss slide-to-unlock a bit.

Reactions: haruhiko

Christoffee

Contributor
Jul 26, 2012
UK
We have in our house an iPhone 6S and iPhone 7. Mac for when the phones aren't enough - which is rare.

Also, old 4S x2 used as music streamers and an old iPad 2 for the children.

So we are mostly iOS9 and we can't be alone!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Not really. They're forcing the install on people. For anyone who wants to stay with 9 it means being constantly badgered and extra careful not to tap the wrong thing. How is what they're doing even legal?

If you delete the auto-downloaded update in manage storage, it won't nag you again to update.

Reactions: CarlJ

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
It's pretty difficult to put much stock in these numbers when Apple is basically trying to shove the update down your throat with constant requests to update, and the requests go so far as to try and trick you into automating the update. Very annoying, just as annoying as their constant requests for me to upgrade my iCloud storage! Getting real tired of this ****... No means no Apple!
If you delete the auto-downloaded update in manage storage, it won't nag you again to update.
There is no auto-download update option within the manage storage section of Settings for me.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
As someone still running iOS 9 I'm really getting tired of my phone trying to install 10 every time I unlock it. Yesterday I was trying to make a phone call when the phone interrupted with a slide-up screen telling me for the 200th time to install a new OS instead.

Good developers include options like Skip this Version. That's a handy way to avoid installing something that only adds a new Croatian translation and it's a perfect way for people like me who don't run x.0 software from anyone to wait until the x.1 version comes out.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It annoys me how they push the update into uses, with no way of declining outright not to update. "Details".... No thanks I don't want to update yet!

Well it's pretty hard not to with them pushing reminders to your device daily if you refuse to update.

You are correct on both points! I can't believe how annoying their push is! It's cut me out of other apps plus they changed it so you need to go to another screen to press 'later'. Unreal.

I know a pile of people who are afraid to upgrade for exactly that reason of a slower devices. Why bother if it's working well?

I haven't upgraded yet and not sure when I will. Maybe when I'm finally annoyed at all the popups.

My wife's been dismissing the nag screen for a while now.
She's read some of the issues people are having with iOS10 on the 6+ and she doesn't want the headache.
My 6S+ came with iOS10 preinstalled (picked it up as a cheap replacement after returning Note 7).
The two iPads we have are not getting iOS10 due to them no longer being supported. (iPad 2 and iPad mini).

No doubt. They are trying to push it down my face on a daily basis! This new pushy update prompt is really really frustrating!
It's simply not on.

It's pretty difficult to put much stock in these numbers when Apple is basically trying to shove the update down your throat with constant requests to update, and the requests go so far as to try and trick you into automating the update. Very annoying, just as annoying as their constant requests for me to upgrade my iCloud storage! Getting real tired of this ****... No means no Apple!
There is no auto-download update option within the manage storage section of Settings for me.

As someone still running iOS 9 I'm really getting tired of my phone trying to install 10 every time I unlock it. Yesterday I was trying to make a phone call when the phone interrupted with a slide-up screen telling me for the 200th time to install a new OS instead.

Good developers include options like Skip this Version. That's a handy way to avoid installing something that only adds a new Croatian translation and it's a perfect way for people like me who don't run x.0 software from anyone to wait until the x.1 version comes out.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/way-to-block-ios-10-from-downloading.2002557/

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
My wife has refused to update because swipe to unlock is gone.

Oh well. Poor her. I guess she's stuck with iOS 9, and she will never buy another iPhone. This is an awfully petty thing to avoid upgrading over.
[doublepost=1476220319][/doublepost]It's funny to read all these pronoucements about how some people refuse to upgrade to iOS 10, or macOS Sierra, etc. over some petty reason or other. Fine. Go without. No. One. Cares.

Reactions: haruhiko

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My mom was extremely confused as to the change... She's not a savvy user, she has an iPad and uses it because it's easy to use... She has an older iPad4 without Touch ID, so its not as easy opening up as with that.
Interestingly enough my mother installed the update on her own and hasn't really said anything more about it beyond that she installed it (and has continued to use her iPhone 5 basically the same as before). I was somewhat surprised actually, but there it is nevertheless.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
It's staggering how quickly customers are adopting new versions of iOS on all their devices. It's a massive vote of confidence in Apple and everything they continue to do to delight us.

No it's not. They force you to upgrade and make life very difficult if you don't. I didn't upgrade to iOS 10 because I wanted to and I certainly don't see it as a vote of confidence. The upgrade was a ****ing disaster.

PS You must work at Apple to have come out with that statement as it's pure Apple speak.

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
I have owned many touch screen devices over decades (including an iPod touch, iPhone 3GS and 4s - I have an iPad.) Using touch screens is second nature to me.

There is a problem with the iPhone 6s since the release of iOS10.

It is a touch problem.

This problem manifests when the iPhone 6s is on dash mount (fixed) and touch is executed using the standard index finger pointing motion to attempt to activate an icon.

Normally an iPhone is operated using both hands when it comes to touch. Usually the left hand holds the phone and the ball of the right index finger tip glides to an icon at a fairly predictable angle (20 - 45 degrees) that is negotiated by both hands during the execution. 100% success rate.

This dance is not available when the iPhone is fixed to a dash mount and the icon is activated using a pointing motion which is pretty much always at 90 degrees.

Since the release of iOS 10 the pointing motion has become unreliable. Prior to the iOS 10 release the phone responded normally on the dash mount. It is possible to replicate this bug when using the phone normally in both hands and using the swipe-up feature to attempt to activate the camera icon using a 90 degree pointing motion. The tip of the finger seems to no longer provide an adequate charge to activate an icon; the failure rate seems to be about 10% - 30%. My experience is that after several stabbing actions, each with increasing pressure, 3-D touch activates. Very frustrating and a potentially dangerous distraction when driving.

I repeated this 90 degree action hitting a fixed screen (in left hand) using an Apple Store iPhone and confirmed the problem immediately. No activation of the icon and then on subsequent tries the activation of 3-D touch only.

Unfortunately the Genius Bar person was unable to visualize any other way of using the phone other than the standard two-handed procedure as outlined above and had others try the phone in *that* same way and had a 100% success rate. Also frustrating.

This led the person to assume that somehow I was at fault and that I “had to re-learn my touch technique now that iOS 10 has been released.” I was offered the option to switch off 3-D touch or also to adjust the touch sensitivity slider! smh.

This bug needs attention.

Last edited:

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
Oh well. Poor her. I guess she's stuck with iOS 9, and she will never buy another iPhone. This is an awfully petty thing to avoid upgrading over.
[doublepost=1476220319][/doublepost]It's funny to read all these pronoucements about how some people refuse to upgrade to iOS 10, or macOS Sierra, etc. over some petty reason or other. Fine. Go without. No. One. Cares.

You clearly cared enough to write a reply at all. *Sorry, It had to be done, lol.

But on a side note, while there are tons of petty reasons people avoid Sierra and iOS 10, the recent releases of each version of iOS and OSX/MacOS have given enough real reasons to avoid them. About on par with the Windows model now, finally make a good OS, royally screw it up for certain users in the next major revision, then take twice as long to make it as stable as the previous version across the board.

Reactions: nvmls

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
Yeah, IOS 10.0.1 was pretty solid from day one, for me. I did notice a slight speed boost from IOS 9.3.5, ever so slight on my 6s. Pleasantly surprised as IOS 9.3.5 was pretty kick ass. No problems on my iPad mini2 either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.