Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will be webcasting their 4th Quarter 2006 financial results on Wednesday, October 18th at 2pm PT/5pm ET.

As usual, Apple provides the following disclaimer:

Please note that comments made during this call may include forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from these forward-looking statements. For more information on the factors that could influence results, please refer to Apple’s SEC filings.

Analysts expect Apple to post double-digit profit and revenue growth on strong demand of the iPod. The results also come in the wake of an internal probe about stock option grant irregularities. The upcoming results will restate past results affected by the probe.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Maybe it's weird, but I love these things. It's great to hear Apple doing so well all the time, and I'm sure this quarter will be no different.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Apple generally does not make new hardware announcements the week they announce earnings. The have in the past, however, sent invitations for press events the week of earnings reports.

MacSamurai

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
They should use this opertunity to bring out some new hardware.Man they've taken ages on the core 2 duo MBPs,They should push these babies out soon otherwise someone might get hurt lol

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
There goes my Apple stock. Fly away sweet stock, take wings. At any rate, there are obviously trolls on this forum who want to see apple fail, hence the 4 negative ratings.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
SPUY767 said:
There goes my Apple stock. Fly away sweet stock, take wings. At any rate, there are obviously trolls on this forum who want to see apple fail, hence the 4 negative ratings.

Aww poor Apple Stock. Its true though, Windows guys go around and vote negative on everything. Bah... Lets troll some vista sites... :rolleyes:

p.s. loving your Mac collection.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Quad Core G5's 1st Birthday is October 19 • Perhaps New MacBook Pro & MacBook Soon

Perhaps We'll Finally Get New MacBooks & MacBook Pros After This Is Out Of The Way. I sure hope so.

Dual 2.5GHz Dual-Core Quad G5's 1st Birthday is Thursday October 19.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
i expect that some people will be VERY interested to hear just how many options and for how much money the value of the wrongly dated options will affect apple for.

this is a vip issue. although the main show is always how much income and profit the core businesses do, ipod and mac's.

i think that apple needs to come with newer models soon. with fm built in, and yes the true video ipod. didnt look like many people were that psyched for the minimal advancements for the latest models.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
mdntcallr said:
i think that apple needs to come with newer models soon. with fm built in, and yes the true video ipod. didnt look like many people were that psyched for the minimal advancements for the latest models.
The 2nd gen nano is a real step up from the previous model. Three times battery life makes a huge difference, let alone the other enhancements. I bought one as soon as the local Apple Store had them in stock.

BTW, FM tuner is a waste of time. The point of an iPod is to create your own personal radio station from things you know you want to listen to, not have someone else's media choice imposed upon you. You may as well ask Apple to include floppy disk drives in Macs. The vast majority of buyers simply don't want one and would never use it.

"True" video iPod is overdue though.

frlane

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2004
Apple Q4-2006 Financial Results: October 18th

"Analysts expect Apple to post double-digit profits"

So that would be quarterly profits of $11?

hooch

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
I disagree that the FM tuner is a waste of time. I like features and this is a great feature! I like listening to morning shows and news and other things the radio waves transmit. Not to mention that I do get sick of music after I hear it a hundred or so times. It is just a nice change from time to time. I hate that Apple charges an extra $50 for an external radio. I just feel like this is a gimic to make more money.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
frlane said:

I was wondering the same thing. But I assumed millions. Apple normally makes triple digits if we are talking millions.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The consensus profit expectations for Apple are set at $0.50/share. The current price of the stock takes this, and then some, into consideration. If they report anything less than $0.55/share, expect the stock to get drubbed.

barnaby

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2006
hooch said:
I disagree that the FM tuner is a waste of time. I like features and this is a great feature! I like listening to morning shows and news and other things the radio waves transmit. Not to mention that I do get sick of music after I hear it a hundred or so times. It is just a nice change from time to time. I hate that Apple charges an extra $50 for an external radio. I just feel like this is a gimic to make more money.

At the same time, I'd rather not pay more for a core feature that I would never use. They have podcasts for catching shows, and you bring your own music. Does one thing and does it well, unlike cell phones these days which double as cameras, video recorders, handheld game systems, mp3 players and instant messenging clients and do all fairly poorly. (e.g. drain your battery listening to music or get photos that are low resolution and hard to get to your desktop).

hooch

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
barnaby said:
At the same time, I'd rather not pay more for a core feature that I would never use. They have podcasts for catching shows, and you bring your own music. Does one thing and does it well, unlike cell phones these days which double as cameras, video recorders, handheld game systems, mp3 players and instant messenging clients and do all fairly poorly. (e.g. drain your battery listening to music or get photos that are low resolution and hard to get to your desktop).

How much would it cost to build the FM tuner into the iPod? I wouldn't think it would be much and wouldn't bump the price point up much if any at all. I agree with you on the cell phones. I would never use a phone as an iPod alternative because I use a phone for what it is intended for, communication.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
frlane said:

It's a bit vague but maybe they mean percent of gross. Like it's been in the news lately that the Big Oil companies are doing 8-9% profits since the oil price has been up.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
hooch said:

I Agree comletely. It is a reason for them to charge extra. A bad reason!

Hey i wouldnt mind a Sirius - Apple alliance. to make ipods with sirius reception possiblity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.