Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
So i got my powerbook a month ago, and i went for the powerbook over the ibook for these reasons:
1. able to screen span (not mirror) w.o. hack
2. More Vram
3. Better quality

now i think i am greatly mistaken in the quality..
1. You know that part right above the latch, where the alluminum connects to the grey lining (well the whole right side of the latch is not connected or stuck to that grey lining while the left side is...)
2. Battery is nowhere near flush with the powerbook on the back.

these two things may seem small or insignificant, but at the time i thought this was worth the extra 200-300 bux.. the quality is deffinetly not as nice as the looks..

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I don't know what model powerbook you have, but my powerbook has no quality problems right now, and I've had it since July. The battery is flush with the bottom of the powerbook. Don't know what to say about the latch though - maybe it's an isolated defect?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
i4k20c said:
1. You know that part right above the latch, where the alluminum connects to the grey lining (well the whole right side of the latch is not connected or stuck to that grey lining while the left side is...)

these two things may seem small or insignificant, but at the time i thought this was worth the extra 200-300 bux.. the quality is deffinetly not as nice as the looks..
Even though I returned my 15" PB after only two weeks of owning it, it was definitely not because of worries over build quality (although there was a worrying 'buzz' coming from the speaker). It sounds like you might have a 'dud' there. Best to take it into Apple for them to have a look at...

mpqtpie

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2005
Florida
My former 12" PB's battery was never flush with the back. It always stuck up a little. While it's annoying I learned to live with it.

Since you just bought your powerbook you are still under a one-year warranty. I believe that covers all defects. If it really bothers you then go to an Apple store NOW before the warranty is up. I procrastinated on a couple of small defects on my PB and wish that I had acted on them sooner because then I was stuck with them.

Talk to someone and if they try to brush it off as nothing, stick your ground if it really bothers you. They should be able to do something about it.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
i4k20c said:
So i got my powerbook a month ago, and i went for the powerbook over the ibook for these reasons:
1. able to screen span (not mirror) w.o. hack
2. More Vram
3. Better quality

Mind posting some photos?

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
If these thing really bother you, take the computer to the Apple store. You don't want to be disappointed by your PowerBook. I feel like my 12" PowerBook was one of the best purchases I've made, and it would be a shame for you to regret buying it because of a few cosmetic details.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yeah, they aren't perfect, I'm not sure thats possible. PowerBooks are still miles ahead in build quality than other notebooks even in comparable price ranges.... Yes, even thinkpads and viaos.

If its really that bad just bring it to a local Apple store.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
ill try and ask my roomate to borrow his camera when he comes back and see if i can get it.. the battery thing i can careless about cuz its not that big of a deal..

but the little thing about the alluminum not connecting to that grey lining on the right side of the trackpad all the way ticks me off a bit.. btw i just noticed this today..lol

anthonys

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2005
London, UK
Anything that's mass produced for profit is going to suffer in build quality, there's too many machines and people working on the product to try and control everything. So yeah, sometimes you'll get one that is a bit off in terms of how it's put together, as with all computers. I've had the most luck with the 12" powerbook, it just seems more solid than the 15" and 17" versions. That said my 12" is over a year old and the case is starting to slightly warp, maybe a millimeter, and the battery can be moved a bit when it's in.

I'd be more concerned about problems with the hardware, like the screen not working, than if something didn't line up exactly how it should ..

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Crappy cell phone pics.. but they do show it..

This is the good side (the left side, again look at the silver lining and the alluminum touching straight ahead (rite by where the latch is):

In this picture, it is the right side of the latch, again look at it straight ahead, and you can see a little how it is not touching the grey.

This picture shows it the best, cuz you can see on the left how it is perfectly touching than as it ges closer to the latch it becomes to get "unstuck"

This is just a picture to show how the battery isn't very flush.

-IDK.. i may seem a bit crazy, but it does tick me off cuz know i will notice it forever..
:mad:

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
It would tick me off to. I'm sure if you yell at the Apple Store long enough they will fix it for you. Make sure and do it soon though. Whats the worst they can do? Say no?

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Texas04 said:
It would tick me off to. I'm sure if you yell at the Apple Store long enough they will fix it for you. Make sure and do it soon though. Whats the worst they can do? Say no?

yah i think im going to take it into the apple store this weekend..idk tho. i have programs like limewire and torrent clients on my comp..should i take em off?

airkarol

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
I barely ever get repairs done directly from apple... I have applecare, so they are free...

I go to authorized techs... they don't care wuts wrong, they just fix it

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
my battery isnt flush with the bottom either neither is the screen's grey benzel is it touching the latch area

At first when I saw it I didnt mind much about it, and I stll dont. Mostly because when I use my laptop Im not looking at the battery or feeling the battery, and Im looking at the screen, not at the bezel touching the casing

however, if you do get it fixed by Apple, please do tell me how much of a hassle it was because I would like to know if they can do something about. If they are willing to fix it, I'll go ahead and take mine in. It never hurts to be perfect :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
PowerBook quality issues:

Quality issues with my PB 12".

1. Battery not flush. Seems like a typical issue.
2. Thin film covering power button and latch button worn off.
3. Grey trim around DVD-R slot drive has come unglued.
4. Original HD failure.
5. Wobbles. (but this is due to the rubber feet falling off the battery)
6. One stuck pixel on the top left hand corner.

Otherwise I love my PB and it's one of the best computers I have owned. No regrets buying it; only regret maybe not buying it sooner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.