Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
A macbook satisfies my needs. I don't think there is even a need for a underpowered tablet, a 10" netbook like the rest maybe but a tablet? how usable will it be for everyday tasks?

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Michael CM1 said:
Best Buy has a stack of NOTEBOOK computers on their Web site for less than $400. Now I personally wouldn't waste my money on one (Celeron!), but why spend $300 on a stripped-down 9-10" netbook when you can get a less-stripped-down notebook with a 15" screen and DVD drive? Aside from the netbook being lighter ("6.6 pounds and 1.7 inches thin -- for portable power!" the site says about the notebooks), I just don't get it.
Because netbooks are fine for what they are designed to do. Why have the extra weight and features (such as a DVD drive, etc) which you're not going to use? My sister has a netbook which she really only uses for email and occasionally searching for info on the net. If that is all you do then there is not need for a full sized laptop.

queshy said:
Netbooks initially look really cool and superficially seem like a great idea -- but then you try typing on it and the keyboard is just awful, and the screen is tiny, etc
So what is your opinion of a virtual keyboard that takes up most of the screen space?

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
deconstruct60 said:
So Touch/iPhone growth is about to go flat and then down, right? Just about everyone who would want Touch/iPhone like abilities already has one and isn't going to buy another.
I'm not saying they won't ever buy another, I'm saying they probably won't have both at the same time. It would be a bit like buying the 13" MacBook and the 17" MacBook; although one is more powerful than the other, they run the same OS and are pretty much the same device but with different display sizes.

Even when it comes to upgrading and buying a new iPod touch/iPhone, given the decision between the truly portable iPod touch/iPhone, which you and just put in your pocket at take anywhere, and a more awkward pseudo-computer like an iTouch, which you cannot exactly use while walking down the street or on a bus, etc, I think most would go for the iPod touch/iPhone, especially if they want the same experience/usability as before. There's also the fact that iPhone users will likely want to upgrade to another iPhone.

In the end I just think a iPod touch/iPhone and a Apple netbook makes for a far better team than two versions of the same device just with different size displays.

I find it amusing when people complain about the lack of power or features of a netbook but are then seemingly okay with the iPhone/iPod touch or proposed iTablet. I'd find the shortcomings of a 9" iPod touch far worse than the the shortcomings of a netbook.

All that said, my complains are moot if Apple ends up doing something really effective that no one ever though of.

deconstruct60 said:
If you have bag anyway (for other work tools ) what is the difference?
And what if you don't have a bag, but still want access to your media, email, net, etc? Even if you do have a bag, what if you want regular/easy access to your music, email, that an iPod touch in a pocket offers?

deconstruct60 said:
Essentially the same? How much zoom/scroll do you do when you visit a mainstream website on a Touch/Phone versus on a more mainstream computer. On a Touch/Phone there is lots of huffing/puffing to navigate a site. Dramatically less so on a computer.
Nevertheless, if it is the same form factor, and runs the same OS then for all purposes it is the same.

I'm willing to put up with the extra scrolling for a device which can fit in my pocket. It would certainly be annoying serious web browsing, but then that isn't what it is for, and I wouldn't imagine an iTablet would be for serious browsing either.

deconstruct60 said:
View some power point presentations?

Write some documents with the upcoming version of Microsoft Word?

View 720p content that isn't scaled?
Things (along with web browsing) that a netbook would be far superior at.

If you want to do serious web browsing, or edit documents, or display media, then a netbook would be superior in many ways. A netbook/tablet combo would be even better.

deconstruct60 said:
Faced with the options of using a 3" device and a 7-10" device which one of those would be more useful if had to do "real computer" things? They're are going to be compromises because trading even lighter weight and screen size for portability.
If both run iPhone OS then you're not going to be able to do "real computer" anything!

When you create a device which is sized and powered more like a computer than a handheld, but still retains the form and GUI of the handheld, then you have none of the benefits of the computer (e.g. physical keyboard, customization, I/O, easy to use form factor, etc) whilst you loose the benefits of the handheld (e.g. true portability/no longer a pocket device.)

deconstruct60 said:
What's the difference between a Mac Book Pro 13" and a Mac Book Air ?
Not a lot IMO. No optical drive, less weight, less O/I, less power. But they both run the same OS, and both have the same form, and both can do pretty much what the other can do. There is nothing inherent about the MBA that would stop it doing what the MBP could do, it would just do it slower.

deconstruct60 said:
Why is not a netbook? Tablet with an overlay keyboard. What is the netbook quality it doesn't have. Atom + keyboard + desktop OS ....
When I say netbook I'm referring to the mini laptop form factor.

A virtual keyboard is severely impaired for anything other than short typing. I love the fact that some people have issues with a slightly smaller physical keyboard on netbooks but are then seemingly content with a virtual keyboard that takes up 80% of the screen(!) Then there is the form of the device... how would you hold and type on it? If you lay it down flat you have an extremely awkward viewing and typing angle. What about surfing the net where you would have to constantly hold it rather than sit it comfortably on your lap, etc

deconstruct60 said:
Besides more screen real estate and most likely a substantially faster processor and some probability of faster graphics.
I mean changes to the OS. If the OS is no difference to the current iPhone OS then there is virtually no difference between the the iPhone/iPod touch and the iTablet, albeit a larger display and a bit more power.

deconstruct60 said:
What's the difference between a iMac and Mac Pro with 30" display.
Oh more screen real estate , substantially faster processor, and probability of faster graphics.
This misses the point. The point is not that the iTablet is bigger and more powerful, therefore it's great. The point is such a device wouldn't be any good as a truly portable pocket device, and wouldn't be any good at actual computer stuff.

If you want to be able to do the stuff that the iTablet can do but want greater portability, then get an iPod touch or iPhone.
If you want to be able to do the stuff that the iTablet can do but better (and be able to do more) then get a netbook.

erikistired

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2006
(770)
What can I do with the iPhone without connecting it to my computer. Nearly everything I need to do for work and home. I run a Citrix client on my iPhone, access/sync work emails remotely. I can edit work, excel docs on the go if needed. I respond to emails all day long with it, If I choose I could backup everything wirelessly but USB backups are much faster.

As far as how I use it for entertainment I don't need to connect it for anything but backing up the data, which I would do on a netbook anyhow yes? I download all my apps, movies, music, tv shows etc.. directly to my iPhone. I don't recall the last time I downloaded something in iTunes on my MBP and then sync'd to my iPhone, no need when I'm around a wifi connection I just get what I need.

If you use a netbook and backup the data to an external HDD, that is the same difference as backing up my iPhone to my MBP.

So to answer your question... I do everything I need on my iPhone and have no need for a netbook, this works better, more portable and is not crippled by Windows XP.

The only Apple product I can see come out that I would think about making a move to is a 10" MB or Tablet/touchpad device. The biggest downside besides the current plastic netbooks are the horrible trackpads and cramped keyboards. Google "netbook return rates"... 30%.. because they are for the most part junk. People think they will replace their computer or laptop and the general buying public has no clue that an Atom processor vs a C2D will make a difference. Their kids think they are cool and small then realize they are a pc of junk when they won't run Youtube, Hulu and other video sites as well as the fact they cant play games. (anything graphic intensive anyhow) FPS, MMO's etc..

Games have driven computer sales for so many years with reguards to the PC market. Netbooks will fade away as novelty toys because they are over hyped and over priced. The only ones that even stand a chance to gain respect end up well over the $500 or even $600 mark. Then what is the point? The whole idea was a sub $300 machine.

this whole post makes me giggle a little bit. it also makes me sad because when i mention that i use a mac people will associate me with this person.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
So what is your opinion of a virtual keyboard that takes up most of the screen space?

Don't have one! If Apple actually releases one, I'm sure it won't be horrible though. I mean the iPhone keyboard is way easier to use than a keyboard you'd find on a RAZR or something. THey really revolutionized finger typing. The problem is that in order to have a "full size" keyboard and be able to type on it, I really feel like I would NEED the tactile feedback, whereas for something like an iPhone the tactile feedback (for some reason) isn't important for me. Maybe (and hopefully!) once we see the "iTablet" (if and when it does get released), we'll all be like "Oh, why didn't I think of that before?". It's always like that with Apple stuff. You see a nicely designed product that is so simple and you end up thinking howcome you or other companies didn't think of this design.

The iPhone is really perfect - yet it is among the most simply designed phones ever. One button on the face, the rest is all screen, and you can use your fingers. I just don't know how well this particular strategy will work for a larger device.

No way to find out, unfortunately - we just need to be patient :p

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Don't have one! If Apple actually releases one, I'm sure it won't be horrible though. I mean the iPhone keyboard is way easier to use than a keyboard you'd find on a RAZR or something. THey really revolutionized finger typing. The problem is that in order to have a "full size" keyboard and be able to type on it, I really feel like I would NEED the tactile feedback, whereas for something like an iPhone the tactile feedback (for some reason) isn't important for me. Maybe (and hopefully!) once we see the "iTablet" (if and when it does get released), we'll all be like "Oh, why didn't I think of that before?". It's always like that with Apple stuff. You see a nicely designed product that is so simple and you end up thinking howcome you or other companies didn't think of this design.

The iPhone is really perfect - yet it is among the most simply designed phones ever. One button on the face, the rest is all screen, and you can use your fingers. I just don't know how well this particular strategy will work for a larger device.

No way to find out, unfortunately - we just need to be patient :p
I agree that for typing brief messages on the iPhone or iPhone touch it isn't bad; for anything more substantial however, it's just not going to hold IMO. I'd take the slightly smaller keyboard of a netbook thanks.

A virtual keyboard on a 10" iTablet device would be the same size as those found on netbooks, yet you wouldn't get any feedback when typing and it would cover most of the screen (it would have to in order to be comparable in size to netbook keyboards, otherwise it would be even smaller). Such a keyboard would inherit the supposed problems of netbook keyboards in addition to the problems of virtual keyboards.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I agree that for typing brief messages on the iPhone or iPhone touch it isn't bad; for anything more substantial however, it's just not going to hold IMO. I'd take the slightly smaller keyboard of a netbook thanks.

A virtual keyboard on a 10" iTablet device would be the same size as those found on netbooks, yet you wouldn't get any feedback when typing and it would cover most of the screen (it would have to in order to be comparable in size to netbook keyboards, otherwise it would be even smaller). Such a keyboard would inherit the supposed problems of netbook keyboards in addition to the problems of virtual keyboards.

Once you get started with two finger typing on the iPhone, things speed up. Took me a few weeks to really get the hang of it. The main advantage of the virtual keyboard is that it can adapt to different situations...it's really nice to have a .com button added when you need it, etc.

For serious typing though, I really need tactile feedback, and in the case of a 10" device, as you said, I'd much prefer a physical keyboard. A giant touch keyboard would be tricky to type quickly on. Typing on an iPhone for me is better than typing on a BB - at this size, the virtual keyboard works, but as you said, I don't know how well this would work in a 10" device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.