Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appstore.png
Apple today informed developers that App Store price tiers, including in-app purchases, will be rising in Canada, Israel, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore and South Africa within 72 hours (via The Next Web).

In Canada, for example, Tier 1 pricing will increase to $1.39, a 20-cent rise over current $1.19 pricing. That means a $1 app on the U.S. App Store will now sell for $1.39 on the Canadian App Store.

Apple has published a PDF document with a complete list of new pricing updates in all seven countries. The price changes are in line with fluctuating foreign currency exchange rates against the U.S. dollar.

Apple will email customers with in-app subscriptions in Canada, New Zealand, Mexico and Singapore shortly before their existing subscription renews to inform them about the price increase and the option to cancel their subscription.

App Store customers in Russia and South Africa will need to manually resubscribe at the new prices. Israel will not be affected, as Apple does not offer auto-renewal subscriptions in that country.

Apple is also expanding its low-price tiers Alternate Tier A and Alternate Tier B to Canada and New Zealand, both valued at 99 cents in local dollars. These tiers are often used for smaller in-app purchases.

Last, VAT has dropped from 24% to 20% in Romania, but App Store prices have not changed in the country, meaning that local developers should begin to receive increased proceeds from app and in-app purchases.

Article Link: Apple Raising App Store Pricing in Canada and Six Other Markets

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Jesus ****ing christ Apple, can you stop constantly raising prices in non-US countries? I know that the Canadian dollar sucks right now, but you have HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars and you can't accept losing a few pennies? Goddamn idiots! :mad:

EDIT: Everyone who replied to my post completely missed my point. The Canadian dollar is decreasing every day, which hurts everyone except people who get paid in USD or Americans who shop in Canada. Apple increases the price of all their products to reflect the horrible rate, which hurts us even more, so of course I'm pissed. And some of you will say, "well uh consider urself lucky cuz its cheper 4 u", and to that I hope you realise that our salaries don't increase, so... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Jesus ****ing christ Apple, can you stop constantly raising prices in non-US countries? I know that the Canadian dollar sucks right now, but you have HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars and you can't accept losing a few pennies? Goddamn idiots! :mad:

Don't worry, the U.S dollar will come down soon enough, then the prices will adjust :)
[doublepost=1453148995][/doublepost]
Nobody forces you to use Canadian dollars, do they? Why not swap to US dollars?

He probably earns money in Canadian dollars.

smith4925

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
What bull****, everything costs more in Canada. Hey US citizens, would you pay $45 for a 24 of beer, I think not.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
omg seriously. i wish the next iPhone would flop (it wont) to get them back down to earth from their high horse

It's inevitable that they reach market saturation at some point. At some point, they won't be able to improve on the current devices enough for people to rush out and upgrade. I went from the 3GS to the 4S to the 6+. I'm thinking I'll probably go even longer this time around - skip 3 generations instead of 1 or 2.

Not sure how Apple will keep on sustaining the growth they've had so far. The Apple Watch might end up matching the iPhone, but you can't just match your previous successes - you have to be even more successful than before.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Jiminy ****ing Cricket garirry!!! How the hell do you expect us to pay that $8 billion dollar bar tab in the EU? - Apple

/s:p

Reactions: AlexH and macs4nw

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Oh yeah... I guess that effectively means you're getting a pay decrease.

I was strictly thinking from a saving/investing angle - don't hold onto Canadian dollars - swap to US, if you think the Canadian dollar is going to keep trending downwards.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

I guess the concept of exchange rates is lost on you? Why is it Apple's job to subsidize Canada's economy and their fiscal decisions?

omg seriously. i wish the next iPhone would flop (it wont) to get them back down to earth from their high horse a little

When did Apple set Canadian, Russian, and other such monetary policy, and what would their iPhone sales do to affect it? Or are you claiming that Apple somehow sets these policies for sovereign nations in completely separate continents based on app prices?

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Oh yeah... I guess that effectively means you're getting a pay decrease.

I was strictly thinking from a saving/investing angle - don't hold onto Canadian dollars - swap to US, if you think the Canadian dollar is going to keep trending downwards.

Yes, although this is getting a bit off topic... the people holding CAD will probably be better off in the long run than those holding USD, depending on what the central bank does.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I guess the concept of exchange rates is lost on you? Why is it Apple's job to subsidize Canada's economy and their fiscal decisions?
I don't recall other companies changing their prices on such a frequent basis. For example, Sony and Microsoft hardware stay at a consistent price over the year, and so does the software sold at retails and in their digital stores.

Reactions: LiveM and d656

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada

He could still have a USD bank account in which he transfers his Canadian dollars, and use that bank account for his online purchases.

Except in this case, he would find out that it's actually more expensive to do so. Even post-adjustment, apps are still cheaper in Canada than in the US (1.39 CAD = 0.95 USD). And that's even before considering your bank will keep a commission for the CAD>USD exchange.

So yeah, angry Canadians should stop complaining about this. We're lucky price hasn't been set to $1.49 or more.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Except they're always quick to raise the price but slow to bring it back down.

The CDN/US dollar started tanking almost a year ago... In January 2015 a $1CAD was $US0.80, so app prices should have started rising to C$1.25.

Even with yesterday's exchange at $US0.688, app prices should be C$1.45.

If you want to gripe about something try the magazine industry where Canadian mags cost 60% more than the same US mag for decades, but the prices were not corrected even when the currencies were on par.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.