Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i just found my old 1st gen behind my bed and it still works but that screen is a shocker now that ive been soo used to retina on my 4, 4s and 5. doesnt even have a speaker jeeze

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
You mean lighting parts of the battery on FIRE to incinerate them? <cough, cough>.

Using chemicals <yuck> to break down other chemicals. I hate funky chemicals.

Taking metal parts and SMELTING them in a big, burning, soot producing smelter. Ever been to a forge? Nasty, nasty places.

Tossing the non recyclable parts in the dumpster.

I don't think the process is as rosy as you think it is.

Yeah, i HATE funky "chemicals" they are so funky and unnatural, I prefer all other sort of matter not made up by "chemicals" yuck just thinking about "chemicals" makes me puke.
I live my life free of all kinds of "chemicals" and only eat organic produce free of the deadly DHMO.:rolleyes:

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
The (2nd gen?) iPod Touch is what started my Apple addiction. I've since owned two Shuffles, four iPads, two iPhones, and an Air.

iPod Touch was my entry drug.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I thought that, but then I keep reading that the iOS GUI wasn't really any different to everything else (Palm, Win CE etc) and that Apple have never invented anything, so I must have been wrong... :rolleyes:

Have you actually tried one of those devices? I used this (http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Sharp-Willcom-03-The-Japanese-Diamond-3.jpg/) before my iPhone and also had a win CE PDA. The tech wasn't new I grant you, but I can still remember my shock at the smoothness and quality of the touch controls on the iphone.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I was thinking the same thing. Just goes to show how many people are buying smartphones to multitask, thus not needing an iPod Touch.

Yeah, I figured it was due to smartphone sales.

That's the reason I got rid of my iPod touch as well.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Just goes to show how many people are buying smartphones to multitask, thus not needing an iPod Touch.

Total cost of ownership of a smart phone is so much higher than an iPod Touch, though. That's why I have an iPod Touch instead of an iPhone. I'd definitely consider buying another one at some point (though my next iOS purchase will probably be the Retina iPad Mini if/when that ever materializes).

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
congratulations apple, you deserved it.
love my ipod touch. i hope we see a new version of ipod at the WWDC.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Still wish they would offer an iPod Touch with just data like they do the iPad. Even with iPhone plan/rates dropping it still is too expensive for some needs.

Would be great to be able to get an iPod Touch with a $15 month to month 250mb data plan.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Total cost of ownership of a smart phone is so much higher than an iPod Touch, though. That's why I have an iPod Touch instead of an iPhone. I'd definitely consider buying another one at some point (though my next iOS purchase will probably be the Retina iPad Mini if/when that ever materializes).

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I'm not saying there's no more need for an iPod Touch, I was agreeing with another poster earlier that we both thought that 100 million iPod Touch units sold isn't much, we expected much more since it's been out a long time. The Smartphone craze has done nothing short of climb to the highest mountain in popularity especially since you can do pretty much everything on them that the iPod Touch does. iPhone and other smartphones are taking away sales from the iPod Touch.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Yeah, i HATE funky "chemicals" they are so funky and unnatural, I prefer all other sort of matter not made up by "chemicals" yuck just thinking about "chemicals" makes me puke.
I live my life free of all kinds of "chemicals" and only eat organic produce free of the deadly DHMO.:rolleyes:

That sound. . .that was the joke flying over your head. :cool:

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm not saying there's no more need for an iPod Touch, I was agreeing with another poster earlier that we both thought that 100 million iPod Touch units sold isn't much, we expected much more since it's been out a long time.

OK, yeah - I agree that smartphone sales have definitely eaten into what would otherwise been iPod Touch sales.

OTOH, I think that a lot of people with smart phones would probably be just as happy with an iPod Touch, especially since the introduction of iMessage. I'd bet that more people send text messages with their iPhones than make actual phone calls. You don't need an iPhone to do that anymore. Also, since most people probably have wi-fi access where they typically use their phones, a mobile data plan isn't a strict requirement either.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
How long has it been since the last time you did some cleaning behind your bed?! :eek:

Huh? Getting personal, are we?

You mean lighting parts of the battery on FIRE to incinerate them? <cough, cough>. Using chemicals <yuck> to break down other chemicals. I hate funky chemicals.
Taking metal parts and SMELTING them in a big, burning, soot producing smelter. Ever been to a forge? Nasty, nasty places.
Tossing the non recyclable parts in the dumpster.
I don't think the process is as rosy as you think it is.

and thank you Apple for recycling all those lithium-ion batteries. I couldn't imagine the e-waste if Apple didn't provide a green initiative. :) Lithium-ion Batteries

I have to agree with bedifferent. Recycling them is probably a much better idea than having those batteries being incinerated or going into landfills where they will leach carcinogens for decades, that will ultimately end up in our drinking water.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Didn't expect the iPod Touch would survive - cannibalization of the iPhone seems to have stopped at a certain level.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I thought they sold more than that by now.

That's iPod Touch, not iPod. Most of them were sold when various iPhones were sold as well, and all the hundreds of millions of iPhone users are people who have money, like Apple products (therefore potential iPod Touch customers) who are _not_ going to buy an iPod Touch.

I think total iPod sales are about 300 million.

----------

Used 3GS 32 GB from eBay plus £10 for a SIM card to make it work :D And it can make phone calls / get on the Internet if I have to (Internet = £1 per day).

The grandchildren were laughing when they saw it, then I showed them my iTunes library on the phone and they didn't even know that much music existed!

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
Still wish they would offer an iPod Touch with just data like they do the iPad. Even with iPhone plan/rates dropping it still is too expensive for some needs.

Would be great to be able to get an iPod Touch with a $15 month to month 250mb data plan.

i ended up buying a karma 4G hotspot. device is $79 and $14 for every GB
pay as you go

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Why is Apple still counting? This is really insecure isn't it?

40 gillion, 80 million, zillion billion, killion tillion.

What is this? Does it mean anything to anyone?

"100 million sold!"

Okay. I'll have one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.