Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I love these futuristic buildings kind of reminds me of GCHQ building (intelligence agency) in the UK but much bigger.

How about this one, already there since 1966, Evoluon Eindhoven the Netherlands, build for Philips.

124650-004-D08803B2.jpg

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I was dead serious. See, I come from this place called Europe which is home to many nations and ethnic backgrounds. As such, I am open and very much interested in new dishes, places to check out, coffee shops or bars to relax in and because of Europe's very vibrant set of cultures, I am quite social, rather than willing to be stuck in a closed world.

Hopefully you've been outside of your own borders..... if you had, you'd know what I mean.

Are you saying that a company should build headquarters/offices based on employees food preferences and places they'd need to relax at?

All of what you are listing (new dishes, places to check out etc. happens OUTSIDE of work on YOUR time, so why would any company be obligated to consider that?

And, if you are from Europe, you know that it is very hard these days to find
large parcels of real estate to build offices like that and for sure not near town centers.

There hasn't really been an outcry about this project in Cupertino, because smart people realize that it's a win win for the town.

Apple is actually doing something many corporations don't do. They are asking for feedback, realizing there may be some good ideas coming they haven't thought off.

It would also show them areas of resident's concerns they can (or do not ) address.

Just because Apple has a high profile doesn't mean they need to be knocked for everything they do.

Would anybody care if Microsoft, Facebook or Google would build something like this?

Also, don't assume that MacRumors only has Americans or UK residents posting here.

I am from Europe and was lucky to travel the world quite a bit.

Judging what is going on in other countries from ones desk without actually living there isn't really the way to go.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
It's the genius of Apple. By not giving you a box to check, they've completely convinced you that you don't have the option of protesting. What other company has that power over you?

...no company has that power over me. Every company out there THINKS they have that power over me, and probably have it over other people, but I'm a little peculiar in that I have a pretty good understanding of my rights.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Actually, there's a space between the 3rd and 4th checkboxes where you can add your own checkbox and remark. :p

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Whoever took the photographs either doesn't know how to lay the paper flat to avoid glare, or Apple has yet again shipped another piece out of their facilities without any glare protection.

Amazing.

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
It's the genius of Apple. By not giving you a box to check, they've completely convinced you that you don't have the option of protesting. What other company has that power over you?

They also didn't offer a checkbox for "please let me keep breathing". How cunning of them! For sure that's part of their plan to make us think that breathing is not an option! Oh, someone stop them!!1!

(see? I am already short of breath!)

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
So you're belittling the residents of Cupertino, many who probably work at Apple?

No, I'm belittling the morons here on MR who act as if they know anything about the location, town, or situation, and keep whining about what Apple "should" do. The people of Cupertino know exactly what Apple means to them, and the future of their town, so to them the score is completely clear.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I wouldn't expect to be able to walk into random office buildings. I think the problem here is that Apple is advertising this as a gift to the community, while in actuality it's a private business campus.

Never said anything about walking into buildings, but it sure looks like a great area to take a walk.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Simply incredible that they didn't give the option of opposing this monstrosity.

You seem to be only capable of processing 1-bit information (Yes/no, must be mutually exclusive). The building of the Apple Campus in Cupertino can be a win-win proposition, if the city, the people living there, and Apple work together. City gains tax, people enjoy higher property value and potentially more job opportunities (even cleaners and gardeners !), while Apple benefit from being close to its HQ and continue to tap on its existing talent pool.

There is already a well-known channel to voice your objections, and discuss related issues with the city council. US home owners know that very well. I reckon Apple's mailing aaims to provide a clear channel for positive input. I suspect people are unlikely to walk in to the city council and sing praises to Apple there. So the mailing is a way for Apple to balance the feedback. It's one of those corporate planning and PR exercises.

For concerns regarding traffic, if Cupertino city deems viable, they can always embark on road projects early to expand the ramps and road system. If you have been there, Pruneridge is not really a major road. It will affect the people living along the street, but part of that street goes through HP campus. It will also cut off a direct access into the Cupertino Village carpark, but the vendors there will likely enjoy an increase in business since the new campus is almost just across the street.

The new campus probably need to follow height limit in the neighbourhood. They will also need to avoid over-crowdedness. Hence it may not be possible to build one campus to house everyone in Apple. It would be impractical. Not to mention, it addresses people's concerns about traffic. The trees they planted will also dilute the density so people in the area won't feel congested.

I see from the brochure that the new building be powered by solar (partially ?). Hope they continue to improve their energy efficiency. I eat at Cupertino Village almost every weekend. Will definitely try to walk around the tree area in the new campus.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Speaking of public access, I took my family to Amphitheater area to watch the 4th July fireworks last year. As expected, the streets and businesses parking lots in the viccinity were all full -- *except* Google parking lots. They had security guards and regular employees on bikes shooing away visitors in all their carparks. I tried to park in 5 different Google carparks but were told to leave immediately when we got out. My pre-school kid were almost in tears since we were late to see the fireworks. But nope, we had to go and circle the area to hunt for another lot far away.

Businesses do like to keep their properties clean and secure. I don't thiink Apple would behave differently if a large public crowd swarmed to the new campus.

MS's buildings are just regular "blocks" amongst the rest. Nothing much to see or rave about, but hey it's just a work area. They also benefit the city and people.

C3POh

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Simular round buildings

Amsterdam office VMX Architects have won a competition to design a new Hilton Hotel in Inner Mongolia, China.

hilton-hotel-ordos-by-vmx-architects-vmx_hilton_ext1.jpg

The round, 32,000 square metre building will incorporate 300 hotel rooms, restaurants, bars, conference rooms and a sports centre.

hilton-hotel-ordos-by-vmx-architects-vmx_hilton_ext2.jpg

OR
The new GCHQ in Cheltenham, UK, has been nicknamed the "Doughnut" because of its circular design.
gchq-1.jpg

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Further inspiration for the Mothership Connection.

Just noticed in CNN article that Apple Campus 2 will employ about 22 percent of the city's population of 58,000.

Attachments

• clickwheel.jpg
    clickwheel.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Further inspiration for the Mothership Connection.

Just noticed in CNN article that Apple Campus 2 will employ about 22 percent of the city's population of 58,000.

Actually, it means that the town's daytime population will be about 22% larger, and likely 10,000 to 12,000 or so will be driving into Cupertino each day.

$400K will buy a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom condo in Cupertino. If you want 3 bedroom 2 bath, around a million is the starting place.

Many people commute into Silicon Valley because they simply could not afford to buy in the town where they work. (And rents are outrageous as well.)

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Cupertino is expensive because of the competitive school district. It's one of the bests in Bay Area.

In any case, if Cupertino city officials and home owners see the upside, none of our noise here will matter.

Wherever Apple choose to go -- even to the city -- you will still see both growing pain and joy. Property price and space in the city will be worse than Cupertino.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You seem to be only capable of processing 1-bit information (Yes/no, must be mutually exclusive).

Thank you for the psychoanalyis - but stick with your day job.

The building of the Apple Campus in Cupertino can be a win-win proposition, if the city, the people living there, and Apple work together. City gains tax, people enjoy higher property value and potentially more job opportunities (even cleaners and gardeners !), while Apple benefit from being close to its HQ and continue to tap on its existing talent pool.

Too bad for the Cupertino citizens that live close to the spaceship, though.

If you have been there, Pruneridge is not really a major road.

There's a stop light for Pruneridge on Lawrence. If you have been there, you'd know that no minor streets have stoplights on Lawrence.

The new campus probably need to follow height limit in the neighbourhood.

Nice guess without any backup facts.

The spaceship campus is less than 2 kilometres from 8 story buildings at City Center - so perhaps industrial/commercial zoning doesn't have a height limit. Probably outside of downtown San Jose, height restrictions in commercial zones are most likely not an issue.

Parts of downtown San Jose are directly under the flight path for SJC, so there are some pretty strict limits that have to do with not crashing airplanes into buildings.

But even with that restriction, Adobe's 14 story headquartes is right under the flight path.

1.jpg

Last edited:

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Thank you for the psychoanalyis - but stick with your day job.

Thank you for your concern. I have a great paying job ! ^_^

Too bad for the Cupertino citizens that live close to the spaceship, though.

... for a healthy increase in home value, and a nice park nearby. The city may have to work something out to prepare for the increased traffic though. It's part and parcel of growth.

There's a stop light for Pruneridge on Lawrence. If you have been there, you'd know that no minor streets have stoplights on Lawrence.

^_^ Traffic light is for crossing Lawrance. Without which, it would be impossible to do so, especially for a small, quiet Pruneridge segment. Like I said, I go there every weekend.

Nice guess without any backup facts.

The spaceship campus is less than 2 kilometres from 8 story buildings at City Center - so perhaps industrial/commercial zoning doesn't have a height limit. Probably outside of downtown San Jose, height restrictions in commercial zones are most likely not an issue.

My goodness. 2KM !!! It's far away enough. Different rules for city center

Look around the area where HP buildings stand today. There are _no_ tall buildings. The residents will definitely complain if the nearby buildings stick out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
Wow, they aren't even accepting negative feedback? I mean, it looks amazing (no surprise), but I guess I shouldn't be surprised either that they not only don't like criticism, they also won't accept it.

Where is it indicated they aren't accepting negative feedback? You simply don't check the boxes "in support" and instead you put your negative feedback in the comments section.

However, does anyone truly belief that Cupertino is NOT going to approve this?

----------

If you saw the video of Steve Jobs presenting this to city council, you'll note that this building isn't bringing in 13,000 NEW employees, but rather consolidating them from various office buildings throughout town. Also, many employees don't drive to work, but rather shuttles that Apple runs all over town, or sometimes bicycles.

If Cupertino isn't up for this project, then I'm sure many surrounding communities would foam at the mouth for the opportunity of being the new hometown of Apple. I just love how people want great things in their town, but object to anything that wants to happen because it COULD cause traffic...especially when this likely won't change traffic much at all.

Except that Apple has announced that they're keeping almost all of their existing space even after the new campus is built. So there will still be a substantial increase in the number of employees.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I'd like to work for apple and at that campus but I doubt they pay their devs a high salary, like $250k/year.

Considers what developers at Apple you are are talking about. If you are a maintence utility app guy, the pay is ok. If you are one of "The Core" in charge of architecture and overall system performance, some of the top techies are doing just south of a half million a year in salary.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Considers what developers at Apple you are are talking about. If you are a maintence utility app guy, the pay is ok. If you are one of "The Core" in charge of architecture and overall system performance, some of the top techies are doing just south of a half million a year in salary.

Yes, the 1% gets good salary.

Same as it ever was.

But the "maintence utility app guy" looks at the housing prices and other costs of living in the Bay Area (gee, gas was over $4.70/gallon in the city this weekend), and realizes that it's "not OK".

A neighbor works for Apple, and complains that he can only rent - impossible to do the down payment and mortgage here (9 km from 1 Infinite Loop). (But, 9km from 1 Infinite Loop means that we're 4 km from the GooglePlex and RedmondSouth - so Google and Microsoft are driving the prices here.)

Last edited:

Green Guy

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2012
Trees

To build this campus, Apple is planning to cut down every existing tree? 4000 of them? I am surprised that the City of Cupertino will allow this...

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Same as it ever was.

But the "maintence utility app guy" looks at the housing prices and other costs of living in the Bay Area (gee, gas was over $4.70/gallon in the city this weekend), and realizes that it's "not OK".

A neighbor works for Apple, and complains that he can only rent - impossible to do the down payment and mortgage here (9 km from 1 Infinite Loop). (But, 9km from 1 Infinite Loop means that we're 4 km from the GooglePlex and RedmondSouth - so Google and Microsoft are driving the prices here.)

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay off the street! Many that can't make it to the top here take a few "valley years" and trade it off as a mystique as they take jobs in easier and less competitive regions marrying the safe girls and watching little league games.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Same as it ever was.

Nothing is keeping him from quitting and moving away. Many do a few years at Apple and then take that rep back to their home town and buy a modest house in cash and travel around the country or world in consulting.

This area is full of risk takers and achievers with multiple sources of income. If you can't run with the big dogs, stay off the street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.