Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I would much rather have it as a back up (regardless of the very very slim chance it might set my computer on fire)

I just recieved two replacement batteries for a couple iBooks yesterday. I was thinking about keeping the old batteries too, just as back up.

Has anyone else decided to do this?

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Blind Buzzard said:
I just recieved two replacement batteries for a couple iBooks yesterday. I was thinking about keeping the old batteries too, just as back up.

Has anyone else decided to do this?
Well....:eek: That is why I was asking.
It feels a bit shady though. But as it is now, I have to call UPS and make sure I am home when they make the pickup. UPS only tells you they will arrive between 8 am and 5 pm, so I basically have to waste an entire day.
I just don't know...
My moral says no, but it is going to cost me to live up to that moral.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Ok, this might be a sensitive question, but have you returned in your old battery to Apple?

My old battery is still at 98% so I am really not that happy about sending it back. I would much rather have it as a back up (regardless of the very very slim chance it might set my computer on fire)
As far as I remember from the things filled out: If you keep the old battery Apple will charge you for the new one...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
On the other hand... I don't find anything about charging for an unreturned battery on the Battery Exchange pages or the linked FAQ... just that Apple requests you ship it back for proper disposal... so unless there was something in the fine print when you filled out the request my mind might be plaing me a trick... :eek:

Of course if you keep the battery, and use it, and it "explodes" and demolishes your iBook/PowerBook and/or burns down your house you pretty much f...relled... and probably liable for all damage... ;)

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
When I first tired to report my batteries having the appropriate S/N for recall, I couldn't get their numbers to come up online. So I ended up calling and talking to an Apple rep. At the end of the call she stated that it was Apples suggestion to not keep the recalled batteries and to not throw them into the garbage, but to return them to Apple for proper disposal.

She said, "suggestion."

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Blind Buzzard said:
[...]
She said, "suggestion."
Yes, that fits fairly well with the above mentioned web page:
Battery Exchange Program... said:
After serial number verification, a new battery will be shipped to you, free of charge. When you receive the replacement battery, please use the same shipping packaging and included prepaid shipping label to return the recalled battery to Apple for proper disposal.
I'm still a bit uncertain, though... did anyone print/save the final page from the replacement request...?

L

Lau

I was going to try and get the rubber stopper off before I sent it back to keep as a spare, but I think it's glued on. I almost had my eye out trying to get it off with a pair of scissors.

I'll have another shot tomorrow. :D

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Lau said:
I was going to try and get the rubber stopper off before I sent it back to keep as a spare, but I think it's glued on. I almost had my eye out trying to get it off with a pair of scissors.
Now, why didn't I think of that...?

b*gger, b*gger, b*gger...

:(

Blind Buzzard

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2005
Where?
I don't know about the moral question. The battery is just going to be destroyed anyway, right.

I am more worried that the bad battery would erupt into a ball of flames while I was using it during an ever needed backup session. This is the kind of luck I have..... :eek:

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
Blind Buzzard said:
I don't know about the moral question. The battery is just going to be destroyed anyway, right.

I am more worried that the bad battery would erupt into a ball of flames while I was using it during an ever needed backup session. This is the kind of luck I have..... :eek:
If you consider just how many laptops that has cought fire, I would be much more worried about other risks.
I wouldn't be surprised if you actually had bigger chance getting killed in a car accident than your laptop catches fire due to a faulty battery... and you don't stop riding in cars, do you?
I was just planing on using the old battery as a emergency back up. I really dont have a need for a second battery, but it could be good to have one just in case.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Still, my question remains. Even if Apple don't legally force you to return the old battery, isnt it morally questionable not to send it back?
I did the battery exchange... I think its been about 4 to 5 weeks ago when it was just the Macbook Pros...When it was first posted on here, and I havent returned my old battery and Apple has not contacted me about it either. I dont feel morally bad about it, they claim they want it to recycle it...I will be sure to recycle it when Im done using it.

pavetheforest

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2006
Pennsylvania
hah! me too! My MBP is prefectly fine. In fact, according to coconut battery it's above par, so...I'm not using the new battery until this one blows up...:eek:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, I just recieved the replacement battery for my 15" PowerBook G4 today - I submitted the form back on August 25th so it took around 4 weeks.

My old battery would charge to a maximum of 74% original capacity so it will be nice to have some extra juice now.

Voltes V

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
does this make sense?

in case you didnt return the recalled battery and with such luck, your battery bursts, rendering your powerbook useless, i dont think apple will be liable since they already recalling batteries.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
been wondring the same

madtodaimax said:
where can we check the status of the replacement batteries? ive been waiting for a while now...

i have been wondering the same darn thing, o placed my recall on day one and i am still waiting...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Yeah I'm still waiting for a 12" PowerBook battery and I'm only at this delivery address for another week... :rolleyes:

Deputy-Dawg

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
WServerNews, http://www.wservernews.com/, is reporting that some airlines are prohibting the use of certain computers aboard their aircraft because of concerns about overheating batteries.

"Virgin Atlantic, Korean Air, and Qantas Airways of Australia have stopped passengers using their Dell and Apple laptops for fear of overheated laptop computer batteries. Forget catching up with email off-line or watching a movie on these airlines. U.S. airlines have not followed suit yet, that could potentially affect thousands of international travelers. If you fly first class you can use the power outlets, so here's finally your justification for a "slightly more expensive" air ticket!!"

CrazyWingman

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2005
briangig said:
still waiting on my 12" PB battery too, my invoice email is from aug 24...

Hmmm...browsing the thread, it looks like the 12" PB battery supply must have been low. My confirmation email is dated Aug. 28, and I'm still waiting as well (on a 12" PB battery).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.