Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
They also registered...

ironlionzyon.com
icloudyday.com
itsbetterthanmobileme.com
circularbuildings.com
ihoop.com
demoteyourmac.net
nomoreinstallcds.org

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Seems like someone in Apple wanted to cover their domains ;). I would personally never even think of entering these pages though. If anything, apple.com/icloud, or icloud.com, or apple, maybe google. The best was macmailconversationview.com, lol

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
This is quite amusing... the range and diversity of domains registered is pretty funny... but also offers some insights into what Apple is trying to do...

autrefois

macrumors 65816
I'm surprised that

thenwhythe#%$&doesntitdothat.com

didn't make the cut. Unless Steve is buying it as his personal domain!

But seriously, I guess if you're as rich as Apple, you can buy up as many domain names as you want, no matter how unlikely someone will be to actually use them.

Btw, ipadpcfree.com as well as the term PC Free come dangerously close to Apple breaking its own promotional guidelines. :p

The use of "free" as a modifier in any Apple product reference in a prominent manner (headlines, call-outs, etc.) is prohibited.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
What company does apple use to register domain names? What about macrumors? What company do they use for their domain names?

What is a good company to register new domain names?

How do you go about setting a web page with your newly acquired domain name? Will apple icloud be able to host web pages?

I've done searches, but I do not know what is legitimate out there for a good price...

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Think about it ... they can integrate at least (some) iCloud services on non Apple devices and computers this way ... Create a link/bookmark like you do on your iPhone and there ya go.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Really disagree with the domain seizure and squatting.

Its the same as buying up valuable property just so others cannot use it. Wasteful, and anti-competitive.

zeemeerman2

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2010
Owned by Apple:
appstore.com

Owned by someone else:
app.com
apps.com
osx.com
macbook.com
launchpad.com
androidvsios.com
macrumors.com

Free:
iphonecloud.com
iversions.com
fn-f3.com (good domain for a site about launchpad or exposé)
f3launchpad.com

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Anyone who actually goes to site named osxlionconversationview.com looking for Apple stuff deserves to have the MacDefender trojan on their machine.

Depending on how they structure things it might come up in a search. Just covering their bases.

bperrella

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

By buying all of these domains they also minimize risk of phishing attempts... The farther the domain name is from the actual product more people will notice the fake domain. Taking away available domains that sound legitimate makes sense if looked at from this perspective.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
btw google has THOUSANDS of misspelled/ long word domains all redirect to google.com. With domain names as cheap as $5 a year for bulk registration, I don't see why not.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
What company does apple use to register domain names? What about macrumors? What company do they use for their domain names?

What is a good company to register new domain names?

How do you go about setting a web page with your newly acquired domain name? Will apple icloud be able to host web pages?

I've done searches, but I do not know what is legitimate out there for a good price...

godaddy.com is straightforward and cheap. $8 or so for a .com I think

cburton

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Slow rumor day I guess ... wish we'd hear more about new Airs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.