Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
No Mac Pro. No Mini. No iMac.

I know, it sucks, hopefully they'll prove us wrong on Thursday.

Apple has turned into a fashion gimmick company, and they're more interested in making iPhones and $15,000 watches.

No, they discontinued the Apple Watch that cost tens of thousands.

Which sucks, because people need Macs to develop for iOS. Letting the Mac stagnate means flipping off your iOS developer base.

My God, you're right. You better tell someone at Apple.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
So what do they call a 13" Retina Air?

The 13" Retina MacBook.

Drop the whole Air thing completely.

Yes. Two sizes of mackbook. Lower price for the current MacBook. Two new slimmer MacBook Pro models (comparable to currentAir) that retain the traditional USB-A port. Sorry for the spoilers everyone.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
"the highlight of Apple's event on Thursday will be a redesigned MacBook Pro...adopting...USB-C with Thunderbolt 3..."

"only the 13-inch MacBook Air will be seeing an update with new USB-C ports"

So, are the new MBPs expected to have USB-C or not?
The "only the 13-inch MacBook Air ..." in that statement was referencing the fact that the 11" MacBook Air is not expected to be updated. The new MacBook Pros are expected to get USB-C.

Reactions: PatriotInvasion

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
You laugh, but as memory serves, they did that with the 2nd gen MacBook Air. One of the main reasons I stopped my friend buying a MBA until the 2011 revision.

I agree with you completely. For portables, I have had MPB's. I work off an iMac but I do have a 2010 MBP in the closet with a trashed video/logic board. That computer still smells new! I missed the cut off date to have it fixed. I was in the store recently for something and they told me "oh, we still take care of those. I just did one a week ago." Maybe I have a shot?

I apologize for getting sidetracked.

Reactions: TiquanS

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Something's telling me that this year's refresh isn't going to be any more exciting.
Umm, well if you don't want USB-C, smaller body or the touchbar then you are likely going to be disappointed. I'm not sure what people are expecting from an updated laptop.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Weird timing, as Kaby Lake chips have started to come out, but the 15-inch MBP will have to get Skylake instead since we're pretty much in between two releases. Either way, we're more than overdue for updated MBPs.

My biggest fear however is to end up with a lifestyle-life dummification of the pro line, please don't throw a super slim notebook with one or two USB-C ports at us. Keep MagSafe, have a mix of USB and USB-C (for peripherals and TB3), keep the goddamn audio port, then you can dazzle us with all your fancy and useless touchbars all you want.

ktecac

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Was really hoping for new iMacs and Mac Pros. I have $3500.00 to spend and can't argue for doing it on out of date tech considering what I can buy in parts for that price. Why does MacOS have to be so ballin and Windows still so lame lol...

But at least Skylake MacBook Pros are in the right direction.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So, only one model of MBP 13" and 15" - no low and high end for each? Plus maybe 13" macbook.

Accipiter

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2010
I know, it sucks, hopefully they'll prove us wrong on Thursday.

Here's hoping. I am ready to buy a new iMac immediately.

No, they discontinued the Apple Watch that cost tens of thousands.

They discontinued it because it's ridiculous. Doesn't change the fact that it's been only about a year since they had the idiotic idea to do it in the first place. It's not like it's some ancient misstep from back when Tim Cook just started.

My God, you're right. You better tell someone at Apple.

They're too busy trying to convince people that the iPad Pro is all you need.

GSDLVR123

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
USA
There is still a possibility desktop Macs will be announced on Thursday -even if they aren't ready- so no doom and gloom for me just yet.

I had hoped for a similar announcement; however as a business man I don't think I'd announce a future upgrade on an existing product...that could have a severe negative impact on holiday/4th Qtr sales of the current model.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Wow, it really looks like it'll just be an update to the Macbook Pro's and the Air...they definately need it, but the rest of the line really needs updating too (although the iMac can get a pass if you can stand its GPU's).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.