Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
good come back :D

Ever seen those movies where the person chucks the phone out the window?

I'd go with that one, or destroy if possible.

if i can't destroy, then at least make it harder to get at, (switch it off) at the source

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
This is a simple issue:

No, Apple should not have to provide a mechanism to "crack" my phone.

Yes, the courts can and should be able to issue a warrant and compel the owner to unlock it, within the confines of the law, just as they can search your home, your car, etc. with a court order.

If this is unacceptable to the individiual, then he/she has several choices:

1. Ignore the law and be in contempt of court (and jailed for it)
2. Lobby and have the law changed
3. Leave the country
4. Suck it up
5. Destroy your phone before it is admitted into evidence

If the authorities suspect you to be involved in some criminal activity, make you go to court and want to see your phone for potential evidence, they should be able to jail you...until you prove them wrong?

And if we don't like it, we can ignore it and stay jailed up, lobby to change the law, leave the country, suck it up or destroy the device?

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
From your article:

I'm not in favour of government spying in general, but it's scary that the police in this case couldn't access his phone with a warrant. I'll admit I never really considered it's impact on local, 'traditional' policing.

I mean, this guy could have this phone loaded with photos and videos of him abusing his girlfriend -- even make it his wallpaper -- and it's totally sealed from the rest society unless he approves its release.

There is a legitimate need in society to investigate people who are suspected of committing serious crimes. Why would it be okay for them to requisition all of his other personal data from service providers, search his house, car, place of work, etc, but suddenly it crosses a moral line once they search his smartphone?

I mean, read that snippet again. If the cops didn't search the suspect's phone, you'd think they weren't doing their jobs - especially if you were the victim! Smartphones are just such a fundamental part of life today that cutting the police out of them really does risk making them toothless in lots of domestic situations.

It's tragic that the NSA has reduced us to this: In order to protect ourselves from our protectors, we are willing to sacrifice our ability to quickly determine the innocence of these people who are within our borders. The internet is global, and its technology scales right the way through the chain, so that technology in the fight against international terrorism ends up affecting the police's ability to collect evidence in a domestic abuse situation.

Right now we're suffering a kind of breakdown between government and society. The police aren't trusted on any level - whether it's the local police busting drug dealers or the NSA trying to bust global terrorist cells. The thing is that the police, especially at the local level, are there to protect us from ourselves (or more accurately, other members of society). I wouldn't want the police to abandon my neighbourhood! I don't want them to be toothless! None of us want to live in a lawless society, so at the end of the day we still need an effective police force. Eventually we will be willing to openly admit that the government, in certain circumstances, needs a key to access your data. With a warrant, but without your consent.

I have a feeling you are not from the US.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Good job Apple, keep it up! But let's not forget one thing. The courts have ruled that you can be forced to give your fingerprint to unlock a phone, but you cannot be forced to divulge your password. This is why I would only ever use a password to unlock my phone. I still have an iPhone 5, so I'm all set for now:)

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Bravo to Apple for once again for protecting consumers.

Unfortunately the 'Patriot Act' has created substantial momentum in the direction of decreasing freedom and civil liberty.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Firstly, don't assume it's the "mental patients" who are the dangerous ones with guns - it's a separate issue entirely but very few gun crimes are committed by ill people, the media just hypes it that way.

I think a very heavy majority of the mass shootings are by individuals who have had known mental health issues.

Reactions: FieldingMellish

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
They can get a lot of the information off of the phone without Apple's help. For example, a warrant can get the phone numbers called (incoming/outgoing), email (if they use imap or pop), SMS messages, access logs, etc. They can get the subscriber address, locations, call routing, etc. They can get that from various service providers.

All those requests are typically rubber-stamped.

So what really are they asking Apple for when they are asking for an encryption back-door? It sounds like they're asking for one-stop shopping.

Well, it's not Apple's job to make LEO's job easier.

Luckily for Apple, it has no real Federal contracts to speak of, so the Feds have no leverage over them...at least for now. You can't say that about Microsoft, the Telcos, or Google.

Reactions: jeremiah256

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I love Apple's stance on security and privacy but I wish we as users could opt in and out of some of these features. For instance I would be okay with Apple storing my health, fitness, and Siri data in the cloud and not only on my device. I don't like that when I restore my iPhone from iCloud I lose all this data. I want to be able to tell Apple what I want to keep secure and what I don't necessarily care about keeping secure.
If the primary concern is that Apple is too expansive with privacy, that's all good with me.
If you want those backups, do it via iTunes and hold it locally. You don't NEED the cloud for it.

Reactions: dk001 and decafjava

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This is a simple issue:

No, Apple should not have to provide a mechanism to "crack" my phone.

Yes, the courts can and should be able to issue a warrant and compel the owner to unlock it, within the confines of the law, just as they can search your home, your car, etc. with a court order.

If this is unacceptable to the individiual, then he/she has several choices:

1. Ignore the law and be in contempt of court (and jailed for it)
2. Lobby and have the law changed
3. Leave the country
4. Suck it up
5. Destroy your phone before it is admitted into evidence
You forgot:
6. Stop committing felonies

Commonly overlooked.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
If the authorities suspect you to be involved in some criminal activity, make you go to court and want to see your phone for potential evidence, they should be able to jail you...until you prove them wrong?

And if we don't like it, we can ignore it and stay jailed up, lobby to change the law, leave the country, suck it up or destroy the device?

You seem to forgotten, "Innocent until PROVEN Guilty". I don't need to prove them wrong.
I am under no obligation to do anything but sit in a chair or cell until they bring be to a "speedy" trial.
The 5th Amendment of our glorious constitution says I can remain silent.

You are Macfoxpro are part of the problem and why the government thinks they should be able to get away with this stuff.

Reactions: jeremiah256

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
The other option of course is to use the "wrong finger" 5 times but much harder to do in a pinch. And of course 99% of people probably use their thumb or forefinger. Hmm, i guess we should all set up our off hand ring finger for touch ID, they'd never suspect that one ;)

Perhaps they should install a 'kill finger' into the iOS, one reading from that finger puts the phone into passcode mode, no retry.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
If I've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, why should I care whether the FBI/Police can access my phone?

Being able to retrieve what may be potentially incriminating evidence from a suspect's device *upon presentation of a court order* seems entirely appropriate *in my opinion*.

This is not at all the same as permitting bulk surveillance of private communications - which I strongly disagree with.

In the old days, incriminating evidence would be written down, or stored in a potentially non-encryted manner - it has been like that for decades. Why - now - do we think it is a good idea to limit the ability of a legitimate investigation to collect evidence?

I think Tim is being disingenuous and doing this for the wrong reasons: There is a customer backlash against the idea of insecurity and hacking - which then hits the bottom line of tech/service companies.

How would Tim answer if he *knew* there was incriminating evidence on an iOS device that provided damning evidence against suspects in a case of terrorism/murder/rape/mutilation/paeodophilia/etc?

Where is the ethical and moral case to say it is inappropriate for society not to be able to access that information and use it in a court of law?

We aren't talking about the FBI wanting to look at your vacation/selfie photos for the hell of it. Why would they give a crap?
It is about the things that really matter to be able to maintain a complex, democratic, civil society.

Last edited:
Reactions: carlsson

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
I support Apple. Enough is enough with the technological intrusion from government into our lives. If we followed the government's logic we should allow the FBI to put cameras in our bedrooms, our cars and everywhere, as it should help capture some criminal. I prefer to have privacy even if it means a slightly higher risk of a criminal getting away.

And I'm in total opposite. I prefer to catch criminals, even if it means a slightly higher risk of a judge looking in my iPhone...

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
If I've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, why should I care whether the FBI/Police can access my phone?

Being able to retrieve what may be potentially incriminating evidence from a suspect's device *upon presentation of a court order* seems entirely appropriate *in my opinion*.

This is not at all the same as permitting bulk surveillance of private communications - which I strongly disagree with.

In the old days, incriminating evidence would be written down, or stored in a potentially non-encryted manner - it has been like that for decades. Why - now - do we think it is a good idea to limit the ability of a legitimate investigation to collect evidence?

I think Tim is being disingenuous and doing this for the wrong reasons: There is a customer backlash against the idea of insecurity and hacking - which then hits the bottom line of tech/service companies.

How would Tim answer if he *knew* there was incriminating evidence on an iOS device that provided damning evidence against suspects in a case of terrorism/murder/rape/mutilation/paeodophilia/etc?

Where is the ethical and moral case to say it is inappropriate for society not to be able to access that information and use it in a court of law?

We aren't talking about the FBI wanting to look at your vacation/selfie photos for the hell of it. Why would they give a crap?
It is about the things that really matter to be able to maintain a complex, democratic, civil society.

I know that in these days of prostituted privacy sense, social networks, and so on, a lot of people thinks like you. There is nothing wrong about that, but if the law says you don't have to give your data and you decide you want, I'm sure they'll have no problem using it. But when you're worried about your privacy because it's yours and because you can, it's very difficult to do the opposite, I mean, having to give your data but not wanting.

And precisely because there's no clear evidence I've done something illegal, I don't want them to see my data, I don't care if my data are moon wallpapers, it's conceptual.

Reactions: nt5672

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I can not get over this quote.

Like mining and storing millions of communication records illegally collected from American citizens.

Like not requiring the use of a court system to subpoena information because it's inconvenient or will never been have accepted.

Like attempting to circumvent software designed for consumer protection by using malware to grant that access.

Like giving authority to government entities for full, free access to devices under a law that was never designed to be interpreted under today's technological conditions or by lying about the situation in which those conditions were not actually met.

Let's see..

I can see their perspective too though. If you take a less cynical view of things, having access to devices solely for law enforcement purposes would be very helpful in many instances. It's a slippery slope, I know, but there is some communal benefit that must be weighed here

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
And I'm in total opposite. I prefer to catch criminals, even if it means a slightly higher risk of a judge looking in my iPhone...

That's sort of the way I lean too. These matters shouldn't be black and white. So long as the proper procedures are followed and we can ensure that there's no abuse of power, there really is a lot of benefit for giving law enforcement investigators access to information on a criminal's phone.

Reactions: carlsson

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
and we can ensure that there's no abuse of power

Because every day we hear about politicians, law enforcement and intelligence agencies voluntarily admitting to having abused their position.

No, wait. We don't. They would never admit that.

If NSA said "we'll only take a tiny peek, promise!", who would be stupid enough to believe them?

Reactions: nt5672

macnewbie91

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2015
Apple's encryption changes, implemented in 2014 with iOS 8, have been unpopular with some law enforcement officials. FBI Director James Comey has expressed concern that encryption implemented by companies like Google and Apple lets people "place themselves above the law."

Does anyone else agree that a phone is a personal device the government has no business reaching their dirty paws into to take information from? I guess there needs to be something written in the constitution that prohibits government interference in people's personal electronic devices. It's none of the government's business if I'm storing dirty photos or having dirty text-talk with some girl I plan to date in the future. Are we going to start allowing the police to search our houses too, without a warrant?

What happened to America being free, wasn't that what made us a great country to begin with?

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I think a very heavy majority of the mass shootings are by individuals who have had known mental health issues.

I'm afraid you're wrong, often in the media they'll attribute it to mental health issues so they can draw focus away from gun control laws and blame it on health treatment, when most of the time that isn't the case. Most people with psychological issues are a greater harm to themselves than anyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.