Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just noticed that Apple have release a keyboard update via software updates.

What does it do?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bow to your knowledge my learned friend :D

Though the link to the other post still leaves me clueless to what they've actually changed/fixed as I hadn't a problem with mine in the first place :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
MacRumorUser said:
Though the link to the other post still leaves me clueless to what they've actually changed/fixed as I hadn't a problem with mine in the first place :)

Well, do you have an Apple kb or a 3rd party one? It seems that this only affects Intel Macs, and only affects third party keyboards.

Now... I don't completely understand the issue, since I don't have an Intel Mac or a third party keyboard, but it seems like....

1) It could be that the keyboard driver had to be re-built from the ground up for the Intel Macs... and that somehow there are software issues purely in the driver that were fixed or never existed in the PPC version and somehow missed in the Intel version. Seems unlikely.

2) It could be that there are idiosyncracies in the bluetooth module in Intel Macs, which, AFAIK, is a new product to Apple (although I thought that Intel already made the bluetooth hardware for Macs, I'm not sure that this is true). When Apple developed the drivers together with whoever makes the module on the Intel motherboards, presumably they did intensive testing with the Apple keyboard and something more like spot checking with third party keyboards. So there is something idiosyncratic about the way different keyboards talk to the bluetooth module, that is handled wrongly or differently by the new module, as compared to the old module (it could be that the keyboards are at fault, and the old module and software were able to correct for it), and the software isn't picking up the slack (yet). This seems pretty likely to be part of the issue.

3) It could also be that this has to do with other kinds of issues, like the ability of the new module and software to deal with interference, which would explain why it doesn't quite sound like even everyone with a third party bluetooth keyboard has trouble. Although it seems weird that such an issue would systematically affect only part of the keyboard transmission, like the "B" key in the example in the link. So this initially sounded tempting to me, but I'm going to guess it isn't the issue, either.

4) Of course, it could be, as suggested in the link, an evil conspiracy. But considering Apple's efforts to keep the Mac Mini as a BYOKDM or whatever they call it, this seems unlikely. I personally love the Apple KB and don't see why you'd get another BT KB, but I guess if you had one, maybe....

So there's my quasi-informed speculation, sir. :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thank you my kind honerable gentleman.

You lost me at 'it could be'... ;) LOL! I'll go with D it's a conspiracy file :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.