Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases Aperture 2.0

Apple announced Aperture 2, the next major release of its photo editing and management software. The new version features over 100 new features with a streamlined user interface and entirely new image processing engine. Aperture 2 also introduces new imaging tools for highlight recovery, color vibrancy, local contrast definition, soft-edged retouching, vignetting and RAW fine-tuning, and lets users directly post their portfolios on the .Mac Web Gallery for viewing on the web, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple TV.
“Many of the most respected photographers on assignment all over the world trust Aperture to organize, edit and deliver their images,” said Rob Schoeben, Apple’s vice president of Applications Product Marketing. “With its simpler interface and lower price, anyone can take full advantage of Aperture’s power.”
Aperture is now priced at $199 and available immediate through the online Apple Store.

Article Link

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It's about time. The photogs on MR have been waiting for this longer than the MBP folks.

But...half of the comments will still be "but where is my MBP?" :rolleyes:

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Hrmm...anybody know how this will work...

I just purchased the academic version of Aperture 1.5. I haven't opened it yet as I am going to be receiving my new Mac Pro today. Will I be eligible for the upgrade ($10)? Or will I need to return it and buy the full-version (an additional $50)?

It appears that there is no longer an academic version, only the full $200 version.

Hickman

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
hmmmmm, would like to upgrade but don't think we have the $$ for it now . . . does anyone have a sense of how major a release this is? is it worth $200, what are the new features?

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI

I just purchased the academic version of Aperture 1.5. I haven't opened it yet as I am going to be receiving my new Mac Pro today. Will I be eligible for the upgrade ($10)? Or will I need to return it and buy the full-version (an additional $50)?

It appears that there is no longer an academic version, only the full $200 version.

Hickman

Actually, if you go through Mac Software, you'll see the academic version for $179

iManiac

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
Vancouver, BC

Hickman

The Aperture 2 page in the store says a $10 upgrade is available for recent purchasers.

deckwalker

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
Lao PDR
Looks good - but what will it cost me?

I like the sound of the new feature set. I use Aperture quite a bit and will be very tempted to upgrade - but how much is an upgrade going to cost me?

Edit:
Hmmm. $99 for the upgrade. Ouch.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
This is what the academic store page says:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 128

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
The Aperture 2 page in the store says a $10 upgrade is available for recent purchasers.

Yeah, I saw that. But, the box of the academic version states that it is not eligible for upgrades. I suppose I will just have to call Apple and figure out what I can do.

Hickman

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
old iMac

haha did you know that they have older iMac, not the alu imac? :p see the attachment...

Attachments

• indexmaclineup20060925.jpg
    indexmaclineup20060925.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 395

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I'm waiting to see what Adobe does to answer this challenge. I love Lightroom, but if Aperture can do better on grayscale images that I work with in the lab, then I'm all over it.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Recent Aperture 1.5 Purchaser?

If you purchased Aperture 1.5 between January 1, 2008, and March 14, 2008, you are eligible to upgrade to Aperture 2 for US$9.95 (shipping and handling). Learn more

Nice deal!

Kevin :apple:

jemo07

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain
It's a shame we have to pay to get support for the new cameras :(
Not like this in the alternative solutions out there.

I would have probably bought the update just to get the feature, but to have to buy it because of some marketing ploy is just shameless! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.