Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orthorex

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
the website says that for mbp, the newest boot rom version should be MBP31.0070.B03

i tried manually updating, and no go.

although system profiler still says i have
MBP31.0070.B02

i have 2.2 MBP

Same here. I have MBP31.0070.B02 on a 2.4 MPB and it says I don't need the update.

caspartheghost

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2006
London
After reading comments that it felt 'snappier' before and after the update, I thought I'd run Geekbench 2 on my MacBook C2D (2Ghz with 2GB RAM) pre/ post to see whether there really was any improvement.

Both times I ran it on a clean boot, with no other apps running, and did the tests twice to make sure I wasn't getting random results.

Pre-update scores: 2665, 2672

Post update scores: 2617, 2659

So you could argue that it's actually slightly worse...

On a happier note, I put a Hitachi TravelStar 160GB drive in the MacBook two days ago, and am reveling in its space and speed!

b0ng0c0ng0

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
After reading comments that it felt 'snappier' before and after the update, I thought I'd run Geekbench 2 on my MacBook C2D (2Ghz with 2GB RAM) pre/ post to see whether there really was any improvement.

Both times I ran it on a clean boot, with no other apps running, and did the tests twice to make sure I wasn't getting random results.

On a happier note, I put a Hitachi TravelStar 160GB drive in the MacBook two days ago, and am reveling in its space and speed!

The difference in those numbers is hardly statistically significant. You would have to run the test say 5 or 10 times on a freshly rebooted system each time and average it out to see if there was a real difference...

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

Given the wide spread of results, especially in the second test, I would guess they are all well within the margin of error so, while you could argue it's slightly worse, you could also argue that there is no measurable change.

caspartheghost

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2006
London
My god, there are some pedants on this forum. I did say 'could argue'. All I was really trying to do was find out, semi-formally, whether the system really was 'snappier' after the update - sorry that I have things to do beyond running Geekbench 20 times to make you happy!

b0ng0c0ng0

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
My god, there are some pedants on this forum. I did say 'could argue'. All I was really trying to do was find out, semi-formally, whether the system really was 'snappier' after the update - sorry that I have things to do beyond running Geekbench 20 times to make you happy!

I'm sorry you don't have the time to make us happy too. Oh well. :eek:

Bosunsfate

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2006
Silicon Valley, CA
Installing on the MacPro 2x2.66

Well, I'm installing and I hope this fixes an annoying issue.

I've noticed for quite some time that during idle time my hard drives stop. Then about two seconds later they start back up again.

I don't think this is a Firmware issue...something in my powersaving settings I think..:cool:

jesstech

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
I've just noticed a real change on my C2D MacBook!
(Don't know if it has been already posted, but...)

Before the EFI update:
If I had a USB mouse or flash drive connected to the MB and put it to sleep closing the lid, it always wake up whenever I plugged off the mouse or flash drive.
After the EFI update:
I plug off the USB mouse and my MB keeps asleep with its lid closed.

Good thing! now it's much better.

Argh, why didn't they fix this for the Santa Rosa MBPs? This annoys the crap out of me!

alansky

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
Marin County, CA
i never had any problems with my iMac Core 2, but maybe 4 times in the past year the CPU fan would suddenly speed up to 5000rpm (from it's normal 1200rpm) and its really loud... it never lasted long, maybe it took a minute to slowly spin down to it's normal state of 1200rpm... anyway, does anyone know why it has done this? when this happened i was never running any intensive apps, and once i wasn't running anything...

This has happened a few times to my 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac in the eight months I've had it. Apple doesn't know what the cause might be, but i'll have it checked it out under warranty one of these days. In my case, putting the computer to sleep and waking it up again fixed the problem each time it happened.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
So, on my 2.33 C2D MBP with a Scorpio 250GB HDD and 3GB RAM, the EFI update downloads, then fails with "an unexpected error (0)".
Reboot, retry, same thing.
Some in posts above mention this may not apply to the 17" MBP?? Any other thoughts? Is it my non-stock HDD or RAM???
Boot ROM is currently MBP21.00A5.B01

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
I have non-stock HDD AND RAM (both upgraded) but it worked for me.

You know... I did a file level copy using Carbon Copy Cloner from a drive that DID have a Bootcamp partition but after the Carbon Copy did not... Now, I cannot install Bootcamp either... I think I need to start over here... Now I really suspect something is not right after the cloning. (Actually, it was not a clone it was a copy. A bit of a misnomer. CopycatX uses sector copying. I think I will try that one and see what happens.........

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
For the SR MBP guys, apples website does not say that there is an update available.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880.
It says that the latest update is "MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2 GHz 15-inch) MBP31.0070.B02 (EFI 1.3)" which is what we already have (came out July 12th).

That's why I asked if they were downloading the update manually or if it was appearing in Software Update. Seems odd that Software Update would offer an update that wasn't needed, but maybe that's the bug.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Updated and nothing seem to have changed.
Maybe this update makes older iMac Core 2 Duo support 4GB RAM up from 3GB?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Fan fan fan fan!!

What is this occult preoccupation with the Mac tower fan?
Am i missing something there? I came off a G4 MDD this summer and it was like a jet chamber compared to the new Xeon tower. Sure, fan runs faster at startup, but is there some kind of intermittent fan speed problem I am not getting?

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
Part of the Boot Camp compatibility is that now the BIOS extension to EFI can recognise key presses before the OS loads (i.e. pressing F8 before Windows starts now brings up the Windows startup menu, before this update, it didn't work, and now people will be able to boot from a Window setup CD without having to wipe their windows partition, because when you press a key at the prompt "Press a key to boot from the CD.....", it will actually respond). This is very good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.