Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
I am so glad to see this update.
But for me, the flickering happened often on day 2 and 3 of usage and then mostly went away. Still happy the addressed whatever issue it was.
:)

stijnerd

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
Still having the same flickerings/blackouts; It went away for about a day. yesterday I let the computer sleep all day. And today about 20 min after startup it started again.
For thoose interested: Serienummer (systeem): W89509VJ5RU
I Will return mine and buy a 24 inch and, with the spare money, the islate in Januari ;)

MacDaddy2007

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
Imac Flicker persists, unusable

I have a CTO 27" i7, week 51, and did not notice the flicker pre-update, but i very quickly updated everything when i first turned it on so cannot say whether it was there beforehand or not.

Regardless, it is now flicking with 3" horizontal bars in different sections of the screen persistently once every 1/2 minutes and I just had my first screen blackout for 3-4 seconds of complete blackness. It is completely unusable.

I waited 2 months and 1 day exactly for my mac which I ordered on 21st October and was consistently delayed.

To say i am dissappointed would be any enormous understatement, and despite my love for Apple and significant involvement with their sales in the UK, I am EXTREMELY upset.

This is my 7th Mac over the years and this will most definately be going back, and never had to do that before.

This is completely unacceptable for something that costs over £2000, apple should be ashamed given the number of users suffering.

Must do better Apple!!

boretskymj

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Apple update does not work

I thought when I saw the Apple update my prayers were answered, but then after a little time I found the same screen flickering and "black" screen flashes were back! Damn, I guess I'm making a trip to the Apple store, I'm hoping they can swap out the graphics card.:mad:

MacDaddy2007

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2007
Apple Problem confirmation - Blacklight not Graphics Card

So I just spoke to Applecare in the UK about the screen flickering issue on my Imac 27" 2TB i7 which persists and I believe only started after i installed the update.

The Applecare representative confirmed it was a known issue and that if the Imac was still flickering after the update(which it is) then it was a hardware fault.

I pressed him on the issue and he stated very specifically that for most users the issue is a software fault relating to the graphics card that can be fixed via the update, but that for others, if the update does not fix it, then it is a hardware fault not relating to the graphics card, but to the backlight itself.

I have not heard the backlight being discussed on the forum as yet as a source of the flickering so interesting to see what you think.

Either way, Apple said it would need to be replaced :(

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
This iMac 27 inch is looking more and more like a beta product.

Further illustrates why I would never buy an AOI desktop. While the specs and price are extremely attractive, it looks like some corners were cut in either R&D or manufacturing to get there.

You know it's bad when the usual apologists stay far away from the thread. Even BRLawyer hasn't chimed in with his usual "fast updates...greatest IT corp in the universe...blah blah"

Editor-

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2009
Boy, I'm glad I didn't jump on the iMac bandwagon when it launched. Rev A is pretty risky.

Hm, new to all this I assume that you mean that RevA = the 'beta' of a product? The first couple of months when a product is released?

Do you know whether they actually mention it official when they have revised it and are talking about a Rev B? I'm going to return my iMac 27 and sit out the hard times, but have no idea when a Rev B will come out.
Are we talking about a couple of months, or half a year?

Thanks

jddar

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2009
I'm on my second i5 after the first wouldn't wake from sleep on day 14. After the software update, I still have the screen flicker and occasional blackout . It is a strangely occurring phenomenon. It occurs very randomly and not often. There have been a couple of days or sessions between sleep mode where nothing occurred at all. Then unpredictably the screen flickering will occur a few times then stop. There has never been more than one total screen blackout during any work session. The computer is not unusable but these issues worry me especially since this is my second machine. For days, I have been saying, "I will call Applecare tomorrow." I know, procrastination is never good. I just do not want to have to send this one back and have to wait another two weeks without a computer.

I've been using the computer for about 2-hours now with no flickering yet. I'm not sure one of Apple's repair techs will be able or have the patience to duplicate my issues. What to do? What will happen?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Hm, new to all this I assume that you mean that RevA = the 'beta' of a product? The first couple of months when a product is released?

Do you know whether they actually mention it official when they have revised it and are talking about a Rev B? I'm going to return my iMac 27 and sit out the hard times, but have no idea when a Rev B will come out.
Are we talking about a couple of months, or half a year?

Thanks

Don't wait, just keep returning them until they get it right. Maybe you'll be lucky and get one that works soon, or eventually.

Complaining in fora about the quality isn't going to get Apple's attention - but a huge pile of rejected systems will. The best feedback is your RMA authorization.

Terminal.app

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
I thought when I saw the Apple update my prayers were answered, but then after a little time I found the same screen flickering and "black" screen flashes were back! Damn, I guess I'm making a trip to the Apple store, I'm hoping they can swap out the graphics card.:mad:

I doubt they'll do that. It's an all-in-one so you can't really just "swap" anything without a complicated disassembly process. The iMacs use a odd looking "daughterboard" card for the GPU, and it took the iFixit guys no less than 20 steps to reach it. Methinks they'll simply swap out your entire computer instead, as it's much less of a PITA.

aVSHuUxm3d5ZLJPN.large

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I doubt they'll do that. It's an all-in-one so you can't really just "swap" anything without a complicated disassembly process. The iMacs use a odd looking "daughterboard" card for the GPU, and it took the iFixit guys no less than 20 steps to reach it. Methinks they'll simply swap out your entire computer instead, as it's much less of a PITA.

aVSHuUxm3d5ZLJPN.large

You do know thats a standard laptop card right?

jaypet48

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Didcot,England
Mac 27" flickering screen

My nephew had one for Xmas. downloaded the patch, worked for awhile. Then problem came back. Seems to work for about 45 minutes then the flickering and black screen start. Also a problem with the page splitting in 2. Bottom half at the top, top half at the bottom. Has put me off buying one at the moment.

jaypet 48

iDocism

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2009
In my case if I rebooted the flickering would go away - I had to do this about once a day. Notice I'm speaking in past tense. Ill wait until next Christmas to get another iMac.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
For me the firmware update didn't fix the flickering problem - but I never had the problem that bad - maybe once or twice a day 'corner of your eye' kind of flicker. Still interference on the sound output that's related to the graphics.

Did get a nice 'screen wrap' (below) one day after waking from screen saver. Will wait until it's fixed-fixed before I bring anything in. problem is tolerable - the sound issue is more annoying.

DSC_6860.jpg

najicta

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Screen flickering came back!

i had issues with the screen flickering from day 2 after getting my 27in quad. always remedied itself after having the computer running for a few hours, or pushing its limits with a game or two. after the firmware update, the problem seemed to go away. Upsettingly, just a few hours ago, the flickering is back. the computer's been on for 3 hours, with no change, but i'm gonna try running the sims 3 for a bit and see if that fixes anything. will update after.

anyone else have the flickering come back?

ryanhaver

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
USA
i had issues with the screen flickering from day 2 after getting my 27in quad. always remedied itself after having the computer running for a few hours, or pushing its limits with a game or two. after the firmware update, the problem seemed to go away. Upsettingly, just a few hours ago, the flickering is back. the computer's been on for 3 hours, with no change, but i'm gonna try running the sims 3 for a bit and see if that fixes anything. will update after.

anyone else have the flickering come back?

Yes, but so far only once. I had the same issue on day two of use. Screen Flickering/Tearing/Blackout. After the patch (formware update) I haven't had problems, but once. The incident was when playing Dragon Age: Origins (after firmware update). It was so bad that I couldn't even attempt to save my game. Every 4-5 second I would get screen blackouts, and in between the blackouts the screen would be flickering and tearing. I just quit the game and rebooted, but I haven't had problems since then. I had reset PRAM and NVRAM before and after the Firmware update, but maybe it finally did the trick this time. I'm hoping it wont happen again. If it does I'll ask for a replacement.

shuckit

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
Add Mine to the List

Week 51 27" iMac i5

Screen flicker, screen blackout, yellow tinge on lower screen. Sigh...

ckhope

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
I would like to see the specs that those LEDs are and how much juice they are supplied with. If they produce enough heat to need a heatsink they are probably running above spec.

I use violet LEDs at work (I'm a scientist) and they run so hot (within spec) that they need individual heat exchangers to stop them melting their solder and falling off! I can believe that the heat generated by and LED panel is an issue. I also know that the power output of an LED is related to it's temperature. I have to run my (work) LEDs for 10 minutes to allow the temperature to stabilise, at which point they emit only 89% of the light as when cold. Perhaps temperature gradients within the iMac casing cause the yellow banding observed? As to the screen flicker; I did the firmware update and the problem is now worse - when they sort it out, I'll seek a replacement.

photofitz

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
More than just a screen flicker - IS IT THE COLD?

I am not the most technical person but love my mac and have had a Mac Book pro with no problems for well over a year. Recently got an IMac and after a very short time (i.e. days) using it the screen would start to flicker, then flash black altogether and then the screen would come back split (see attached). This kept happening with repeated frequency. After much coming and going with Apple support they said it was a problem with the picture/graphics card and told me I could return it which I did. New computer and after a few days the same thing again - then had a thought that the room it was in might be getting quite cold at night so switched it a warm room and (touch wood) it hasn't happened since! Is the temperature the problem? Has anyone else ever experienced this? I am totally naive in thinking it might be due to the cold or can anyone offer any solutions?
thanks!

Attachments

• PF1D4187sml.jpg
    PF1D4187sml.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,253

PICART

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
I recieved my iMac yesterday (January 16). Today when I started using it the screen started to flicker. After about I hour the screen image split.
I restarted iMac and it stoped flickering. Over 2000$ for faulty product! Im returning it tomorow.
week 51.
Firmware is preinstaled (when I tried to install it, i recieved confirmation that is already installed)

yellow tinage is minimum. If i didnt read about it on this forum probably i wouldnt notice it.

ps. sorry on my english

maiklohse

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
Let's find out and test it on my friends' brand new mac 27". He has it for 1 day and indeed the screen is flickering.

What I (as a windows user who is waiting for his 27" mac) do NOT understand is how this community seems so forgiving to Apple. To be honest, these pieces of machinery cost alot of money and in my opinion when you pay that much things should be PERFECT.

Really, am seriously astonished to read on these forums that people have that flickering iMac standing on their desk in hope that some crazy patch/update will fix the problem.

There is only 1 way to show Apple that things aren't going as they should and that is by sending your machine back. A €2000 computer with a flickering screen? You gotta be kidding me! If the Mac which I can expect in the next couple of days flickers once, or produces a noise that is slightly louder than normal it will head back to the Apple Store in 1 minute, 1 minute!

As a long time Windows user who has just ordered his first iMac 2 weeks ago and waiting to receive it at the end of February I can only say AMEN to that.

maiklohse

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
And so are the majority of 27" iMac's. I find it funny that a bunch of guys who cant even afford to buy them are bleating like wounded sheep over the fact that a very small minority are having issues. Show me one person who Apple hasn't addressed. They will exchange units until you are satisfied, it's not like anyone is getting stuck with anything.

Haters, complaining about stuff you don't own is like complaining that Angelina Jolie is fat. If you aren't doing her, your opinion isn't all that interesting.

Your argument doesn't even make sense. All the people I read from on this forum "bleating" about the problem are people who actually have one at home that HAS the problem.

You don't happen to be one of those people who buy Apples just because they cost more, are you now? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.