Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
1. It's ok if you just don't get it. But that's not because it doesn't make sense. I wanted things Apple didn't provide, that I both needed and wanted. Simple. Apple devices don't do it all.

2. My argument was related to how Apple purposefully cripples their devices so you're "forced" to upgrade. I was comparing Apple to Apple. And pointing out how a relatively old Note 3 performs today, versus a comparable Apple device. Your argument goes the straw-man route.

3. Yes, Touchwiz. I like it. For starters it was one of, if not the first to have split-screen multitasking, well before Google made it an official part of Android as well as Apple putting it into their devices. My Galaxy S4 had it.

Look, if you like iOS and Apple devices that's fine, but I think it's silly to dismiss outright the things that the competition does better.
[doublepost=1476198203][/doublepost]

I love how some Apple fans overreact...

OK, I don't know what "perfectly implemented" feature you refer to. Please be specific.

And what about my post is hyperbole, exactly? Again, be specific.

Yes, Touch ID is probably the best FP reader out there.

And it means nothing to me.

I'd rather have the other things Apple doesn't give me and Sammy does. Simple.

If yours is the other way 'round, then hey, good for you.

I am not claiming apple does it all, I am reply to your specific points.

You are telling me apple cripples devices? How so? Last time I checked I am pretty sure an iphone 5 can still run iOS10. Is it a bit slower, of course it is. I am also pretty sure a computer from 2010 is not as fast as a computer from 2016.

Android devices barley get upgrades after 1 year essentially rendering them useless. Your beloved galaxy is nothing more than a brick in 1-2 years. Is this seriously your argument?

TouchWiz again. I think you are the only one that likes touchWiz. Its a POS and even die hard Samung fans will tell you.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

You are telling me apple cripples devices? How so? Last time I checked I am pretty sure an iphone 4s can still run iOS10. Is it a bit slower, of course it is. I am also pretty sure a computer from 2010 is not as fast as a computer from 2016.

Android devices barley get upgrades after 1 year essentially rendering them useless. Your beloved galaxy is nothing more than a brick in 1-2 years. Is this seriously your argument?

TouchWiz again. I think you are the only one that likes touchWiz. Its a POS and even die hard Samung fans will tell you.
A bit of a correction that iPhone 4s can't run iOS 10 actually. It can run iOS 9, although while it's generally usable for the vast majority, it's not as good as some earlier iOS versions were for those type of older devices--mainly because they are older and not as powerful in various ways.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
A bit of a correction that iPhone 4s can't run iOS 10 actually. It can run iOS 9, although while it's generally usable for the vast majority, it's not as good as some earlier iOS versions were for those type of older devices--mainly because they are older and not as powerful in various ways.

yeah you are right, I read some article that listed the 4s as well.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010

You are telling me apple cripples devices? How so? Last time I checked I am pretty sure an iphone 5 can still run iOS10. Is it a bit slower, of course it is. I am also pretty sure a computer from 2010 is not as fast as a computer from 2016.

Well, apparently plenty of people like touchwiz, since the Galaxy Series, and the Notes, sell extremely well.

Now, as I mentioned previously, my son's Note3 (!) is as speedy and responsive as it was the day we bought it. So spare me the FUD. I'll take the Pepsi challenge against the iPhone 5 and 6 any day with a Note 3.

And it still does more than any iPhone can (it can do more than my Note 5 too, I must admit); its hardware and software features exceed anything iPhone has put out, save the new waterproofing and the SOC (which is admittedly fast as all get out, but a fast car is useless when I can't carry what I need, go offroad, etc). Everything else Apple has on it (force touch and ecosystem integration) I can live without.

Apple loves to cripple their devices by removing features (headphone jack is a recent example), and putting in the bare minimum of RAM, which may make your device slow as hell in a few years.

I can't say with certainty though that going forward from today this'll be the case; 2GB of RAM combined with their SOC is really that good. And now with 128GB+ capacity, SD card necessity is somewhat mitigated (unless you shoot a lot of 4K video).

But I'm speaking from a historical perspective. My older iOS devices SUCK HARD to use, comparatively speaking. Perhaps iPhone 9 or 10 will be what I need it to be.

But my point really is that Sammy gave me absolutely everything (save waterproofing) I ever wanted in a phablet (with the Note 3), 4 iPhone generations ago. I'd buy it again (or rather, a Note4 which has everything and the waterproofing too) over any iPhone today. I just can't get it on my current carrier.

But I can only speak for myself (and my teenage kids).

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Well, apparently plenty of people like touchwiz, since the Galaxy Series, and the Notes, sell extremely well.

Now, as I mentioned previously, my son's Note3 (!) is as speedy and responsive as it was the day we bought it. So spare me the FUD. I'll take the Pepsi challenge against the iPhone 5 and 6 any day with a Note 3.

And it still does more than any iPhone can (it can do more than my Note 5 too, I must admit); its hardware and software features exceed anything iPhone has put out, save the new waterproofing and the SOC (which is admittedly fast as all get out, but a fast car is useless when I can't carry what I need, go offroad, etc). Everything else Apple has on it (force touch and ecosystem integration) I can live without.

Apple loves to cripple their devices by removing features (headphone jack is a recent example), and putting in the bare minimum of RAM, which may make your device slow as hell in a few years.

I can't say with certainty though that going forward from today this'll be the case; 2GB of RAM combined with their SOC is really that good. And now with 128GB+ capacity, SD card necessity is somewhat mitigated (unless you shoot a lot of 4K video).

But I'm speaking from a historical perspective. My older iOS devices SUCK HARD to use, comparatively speaking. Perhaps iPhone 9 or 10 will be what I need it to be.

But my point really is that Sammy gave me absolutely everything (save waterproofing) I ever wanted in a phablet (with the Note 3), 4 iPhone generations ago. I'd buy it again (or rather, a Note4 which has everything and the waterproofing too) over any iPhone today. I just can't get it on my current carrier.

But I can only speak for myself (and my teenage kids).

Typical samsung response. I bet 2 years ago you bragged about your removable batteries on your phones. You know as well as I do the headphone jack will be gone soon on other devices too, apple just has the balls to do it now. The other companies poke them and make fun about it, like googles pixel, yet in 1-2 years they all will follow. Its pathetic.
Do you still miss cd drives on laptops too?

We can play this game all day. Your samsung devices have literally nothing that I want as well. They have:
1) A SOC that is like 5 generation behind apples chips.
2) Worse ram management even if it has 2-3 times the ram.
3) Its slower than a 1 year old 6s. Almost 2 times as slow in real world usage. So the 7 would literally run circles around it
4) No 3D touch
5) No haptic feedback
6) Not the real TouchID
7) No support after 1-2 years

The iphone 6s or 7 kills it in every aspect, its not even close, and that includes it not having an OLED display. According to DisplayMate the new 7 screen is 1 of the best, if not the most accurate display they ever tested, so seems like Apple is doing just fine using this ancient LCD tech.

And yes touchWiz sucks, we all know it sucks. Guess what happens when you google Samsung Touch Wiz? The first few links are basically telling you how to get rid of that POS.

Last edited:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Typical samsung response. I bet 2 years ago you bragged about your removable batteries on your phones. You know as well as I do the headphone jack will be gone soon on other devices too, apple just has the balls to do it now. The other companies poke them and make fun about it, like googles pixel, yet in 1-2 years they all will follow. Its pathetic.
Do you still miss cd drives on laptops too?

We can play this game all day. Your samsung devices have literally nothing that I want as well. They have:
1) A SOC that is like 5 generation behind apples chips.
2) Worse ram management even if it has 2-3 times the ram.
3) Its slower than a 1 year old 6s. Almost 2 times as slow in real world usage. So the 7 would literally run circles around it
4) No 3D touch
5) No haptic feedback
6) Not the real TouchID
7) No support after 1-2 years

The iphone 6s or 7 kills it in every aspect, its not even close, and that includes it not having an OLED display. According to DisplayMate the new 7 screen is 1 of the best, if not the most accurate display they ever tested, so seems like Apple is doing just fine using this ancient LCD tech.

And yes touchWiz sucks, we all know it sucks. Guess what happens when you google Samsung Touch Wiz? The first few links are basically telling you how to get rid of that POS.

Dude, simmer down, no one's bragging. I like touchwiz. Why does it offend you so? What EXACTLY is not to like? Please be specific and skip the juvenile "it just sucks" argument.

Anyhow, I'm just pointing out the reasons why I prefer the Sammy devices. If you're not interested in hearing it then that's cool too. Just ignore the below.

If you are, I'll address your list:

1. In real-world use, I'm not noticing slow performance on neither the Note3 nor the Note5. Apple's SOC is faster. Geekbench says so. But unless I'm side-by-side comparing, this is pointless.
2. Same as No. 1
3. Same as No. 1
4. Don't need it (I admit it's nice, but not worth giving up what Apple doesn't provide)
5. Yes, we do have haptic feedback. Maybe not as advanced as Apple's, but I don't care, as I turn it off anyhow.
6. Apple's TouchID is certainly the best. But it doesn't kill me to enter a passcode. I'm used to it.
7. Didn't need support when I had my iPhone. Same with my Note3 and 5 so far. That said, Apple's support is certainly leaps and bounds over everyone elses'. A fair point.

Also, Apple's screens are no doubt excellent but Sammy screens are known to be outstanding as well, so that is a wash.

Now, these are the things I can't do with iPhone, things I would miss should I switch:

1. Dedicated back button. Can't believe how useful this is
2. Dedicated App Switcher with "close all" functionality (I hate closing apps 1 at a time)
3. Built-in stylus and note-taking implementation. This right here is why I like touch wiz
4. Split-screen multitasking. Another reason why I like touch wiz. Stock Android is only now getting this with their latest release. Only recently available on iPad with iOS 9/10. I've had it since my touchwiz Galaxy S4...
5. Headphone jack. I can't stand bluetooth-related sound cutoffs when listening to music
6. Non-proprietary connectivity. USB vs Lightning: Not even a contest, convenience-wise.
7. Filesystem access. I want my phablet to be as close to a PC as possible
8. Customization options. Widgets, icons, themes, homescreen layout, etc. I can truly personalize my device. With Apple I'm stuck with the flat, Playskool look. I personally hate it.

These are additional things I'd have if I'd been able to get a Note4 and if Samsung wasn't trying to copy Apple so damn hard. Too bad they removed them from the Note5 (my main device) and the 7 is a firebomb:

9. Removable battery. Indispensable for long-term ownership and field work.
10. IR blaster. I miss this greatly. One remote for every.single.device at home
11. Expandable storage. Never, ever run out of space. Frak the cloud
12. *Waterproofing. Apple finally added it 4 gens later

So, for me, this list of features trumps Apple's.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for agreeing with some points I made. I actually do agree with some points you also made so not all hope is lost.

There you go for your real world speed test, its not a Note but you should get the gist.
A 6 month old iPhone 6s vs the 6 days old Samsung S7. Its embarrassing how bad the Samsung device does, basically twice as slow with much worse ram management. I dont see the innovation here that people brag about, I just cant. http://bgr.com/2016/03/16/galaxy-s7-vs-iphone-6-performance-tests/

On iOS you dont have to close apps ever, so a close all button is useless and would actually make peoples battery life worse. How crazy is that?. Even most Apple users still do not understand this.

Samsung devices do not have haptic feedback.

You keep saying you dont need this and that and at the same time claim your Samsung device has more features. Touch ID or 3D Touch to me is way more useful than TouchWiz and the other, mostly useless, Samsung gimmicks.

It seems you are a bit nostalgic and like features like removable batteries, micro SD slots etc. Its a bit old fashioned and most people don't care about it all. And yes 16Gb iPhones were ridiculous and apple should have changed it to 32GB 1-2 years ago.

The headphone jack is going the way of the dodo bird too, just like CD drives in laptops. You can complain about all you want, and the competitors can make fun about it, but you know they will all do the same in the next couple of years.

I never used bluetooth headphones so I cannot talk about them much, the Apples ones are supposed to be good without the connectivity issues. You make it sound like I need bluetooth for audio tho. I can use the lightning headphones or any regular headphones I want, I just need to add this little adapter to it. Doesnt sound like the end of the world to me.

In regards to TouchWiz I am saying it sucks, because it sucks. Everybody knows it , just google the reputation of TouchWiz, its a disaster.

I dont hate all of Samsung tho. I do like some of the note taking capabilities you mentioned but they are not critical to me. And the edge to edge displays on the S7 look awesome, no argument there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.