Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigEm

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
"This update requires a Wi-Fi network connection to download."

It's on wifi. Apple really is going downhill.

It makes sense. It's trying to fix the 3G issues. So how are you going to download OTA if you're having 3G issues? ;)

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I am on WiFi. OTA is not needed. anyways, turning off cellular data fixed it.

My phone seems to prefer cellular to wifi and I don't know why.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'm super disappointed they haven't yet addressed the battery drainage with the 5. I just got one on the 6th and the battery is HORRIBLE. I haven't taken it back yet because I've been reading up on it and it seems like the suspect is iOS 6.1 and others have had issues too. Max I've been able to go on standby is 13 Hrs. Otherwise it's around 7-8 with little usage. And I've done about 3-4 cycles...I've done every tip I've read and nothing. I've seen people on 6.1 with AT&T like me go up to 1 day and 12 hours on standby and 9 hours of usage with 49%...that sounds right. What I'm experiencing isn't. I'm going to exchange it this weekend and hopefully the new device will act right.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated. My 4's battery was perfect and I expected better with the 5.

I hear that a lot with people who upgraded from the 4 to the 5. As a 4S owner, I'm used to crappy battery life. I'm hoping that Apple will make a significant improvement in battery life with the iPhone 5S, maybe enough to make iPhone 5 owners jealous. However, I'm not too optimistic.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Hahaha lmao its hard to tell on the internet, theres alot of Android fanboys who troll here so

There are very few. You're thinking of the "Apple was so good back in the day, before they became evil, stupid, corrupt, and boring" people.

----------

I hear that a lot with people who upgraded from the 4 to the 5. As a 4S owner, I'm used to crappy battery life. I'm hoping that Apple will make a significant improvement in battery life with the iPhone 5S, maybe enough to make iPhone 5 owners jealous. However, I'm not too optimistic.

Crappy compared to what? It has almost the same battery compared to the iPhone 4 and 5, but I don't know about the operating power consumption. The iPhone 5 has a bigger screen, so that means some extra usage.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
You only get LTE if you have an Apple IPhone 5, 4S Users are Limited to HSPA+/UMTS, you should know that by now that the IPhone 5 is a much Different IPhone from the 4S!

Wait what are you smoking?

I have a 4, 4S, and and 2 5s. (2 are personal, 2 are work)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just what the doctor ordered.

But wait .... what 3G issues ? I have had patchy 3g issues, but thats normal particularly over VOIP in some areas.

Other areas VOIP has been fine,, no issues what's so ever..

But hey, an update is an update, i always say :) (It can't get any worse)

(edits: opps.... now i'm in for it)

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I put this in the same category as a "zero-day" exploit ..... That is, anything that comes out on the same day...

Apple is loosing to these...... Not realising it... lol..

Its fun to watch.... :)

It's the same exact exploit as before. The app just needed to be updated to recognize 6.1.1.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
It's the same exact exploit as before. The app just needed to be updated to recognize 6.1.1.
Yeah... this. The team already reported that 6.1.1 didn't patch the exploit(s), they just needed to update the jailbreak app to work with it.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Are they going to fix the part where my Verizon iPhone 5 seems to ignore Wifi when it's locked?

nephron8

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
I don't want them to close jailbreak at all.
They have successfully closed insta ll ous so their is no issue with revenue of apps.
They must let jailbreak scene remain alive.I buy iOS stuff mainly for jailbreaked tweaks and high quality of devices.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apples "clever" way or the highway

Apple kinds of "forces" ya to update over wifi for one major reason.

If you want to keep your apps on your device..

When I was updating my iphone via itunes, it "asked" me first to backup the apps already on the device ... I believe this is something you must do, if you cancel, it won't update..

However, update over wifi directly, or over 3G, and the update will install even if apps are there. This i like.

I can see where Apple is coming from, though... Safegaud your apps as a backup before you do anything. But if the whole idea, is to just transfer them back over anyway, whats the point ? If the update success, you apps may still be there, and if needed just transfer over the odd 1 or 2.

I don't mind this dialog in iTunes, but it should be a question, with an 'option" just to cancel the backup, and still apply the update.

Of course, the user is well aware of what they are doing if they do this. And, yes i am fully aware... that I just want the update.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Apple kinds of "forces" ya to update over wifi for one major reason.

If you want to keep your apps on your device..

When I was updating my iphone via itunes, it "asked" me first to backup the apps already on the device ... I believe this is something you must do, if you cancel, it won't update..

However, update over wifi directly, or over 3G, and the update will install even if apps are there. This i like.

I can see where Apple is coming from, though... Safegaud your apps as a backup before you do anything. But if the whole idea, is to just transfer them back over anyway, whats the point ? If the update success, you apps may still be there, and if needed just transfer over the odd 1 or 2.

I don't mind this dialog in iTunes, but it should be a question, with an 'option" just to cancel the backup, and still apply the update.

Of course, the user is well aware of what they are doing if they do this. And, yes i am fully aware... that I just want the update.
Your apps will still be there if you update in iTunes. It asks you to backup because that's the smart thing to do. You should do that anyway even before applying an OTA update because something bad can still happen. The only way to backup without iTunes would be iCloud.

dannylillhtc

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
uk somewhere
hmmmmmmmmmm

Attachments

• snap.png
    snap.png
    321.2 KB · Views: 116

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Save time and upload through the iPhone

It took me a LOT more than ≈25mb to download this via iTunes.

For starters, it was listed as ≈950mb and then I had to download it twice because I accidentally hit cmd-q in the wrong window (my fault, I know, but it could have at least started where it left off instead of making me start all over again from 0mb)

If you download through iTunes, you get the complete IOS. If you go through Settings on your iPhone, you get the incremental update, or what's different.

In the past, if the incremental update was buggy, I found that downloading the entire update and installing was more stable, but the recent updates seem to work perfectly, and are MUCH faster and smaller.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Hell it won't even work if there is a passcode set on the phone.

It did work on mine :)
I knew i had to disable passcode but i just forgot. When i was jalbreaking and it was doing it's own thing, it asked me to enter the passcode at some point and that's when i remembered. I thought that was going to screw the process of jailbreaking but it didn't. It all went so smooth.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Your apps will still be there if you update in iTunes. It asks you to backup because that's the smart thing to do. You should do that anyway even before applying an OTA update because something bad can still happen. The only way to backup without iTunes would be iCloud.

I know that already. the dialog that comes up which says "Do not backup" is NOT the one i'm referring to.. The one I mean is a different dialog, as when you are "upgrading" from a previous version to a later one.

In this case, there is no way to not backup apps already on the IOS device, but still continue the update anyway.

this is what i was saying.

BTw: trying to find a screenshot of this, knowing i cannot downgrade to prove this, because stupid Apple no longer allows you to downgrade, even from version 6.1.1 to 6.0 or 6.1, "without jailbreaking"

In much the same way as copy protection teaches people how to pirate, Apple is teaching users how to jailbreak with RedSn0w. (despite their EULA)

Thank you Apple :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.