Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
160GB, 40 hours of music playback, sexy silver, and the click wheel?

/me orders

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I have a feeling the classic line will suffer in sales when there is the iPod touch line now
No way the nano is more likely to suffer since they are closer in capacity size. REAL music people will still want the classic, 160 gigs of space!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Do these models still support video out over the cable?

The apple website doesn't mention it on the specs page.

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think the metal finish is a way for the iPod to stay cool since its quite larger capacity, am I right?

It's much easier and cheaper to recycle. It's looking like more and more companies are going to be held responsible for recycling their goods by governments around the world soon. Either by actually recycling them or buy paying a tax when each is sold to cover the cost of doing so by the government.

Apple's trying to get a head start so any law changes down the road won't affect them much.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmmm....iPod touch now and snub iPhone till gen 2 or iPod classic now and get iPhone gen 1....if only ipod touch had Mail but hat would've cannibalised iPhones sales.

Sigh.....decisions decisions

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Not that it matters much, but with the iPod Classic, Apple has eliminated white from the iPod lineup. This almost mirrors the new iMac revision, even down to the out-of-place looking white accessories (imac --> white keys on alu keyboard + white mouse; ipod --> white earbuds.)

Apple seems to slowly be doing a good job of figuring out how to integrate the silver and white ... their OS designers have done such a great job in terms of using several different design motifs that pretty transparently co-exist. I know not everyone likes that, but in general it's considered less glaring than the white and aluminum. But if you look at, say, how well the white accessories work on the Powerbook or the Macbook Pro, to, now, how the aluminum/white keyboard looks and how the silver iPods look, Apple is improving.

But yes, now there are very few white products left in the line that do not use aluminum as a primary aesthetic. The white Macbook, the AEBS and Airport Express... that's about it.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
Since I haven't had a DAP for almost 5 months and waited for a high capacity iPod touch I'll be picking this up instead. a white 80GB iPod classic.

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Seriously, why are they still using these shinny, scratch-crazy backs? Now they ADDED them to the Nanos too!

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Awesome update IMO. I'm really glad the classic is still
around for the music people. 160gb, holy smokes batman!

Let's face it, nothing beats the scroll wheel interface, not
even the touch, for zipping through your huge music
collection super fast.

Still going to be a hard decision, touch with wifi or classic
for capacity...

0racle

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
North Carolina
I'm wondering whether it's better to get a new Classic or find an older iPod on eBay. Mainly I wanted an iPod to take all my MP3's with me on the road and was eyeing the VW iPod adapter, but I'm not sure that the new classic will fit the adapter.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
160gb?? Hmmmm... this may be the right moment to whittle down my music collection to what will fit on the iPod Classic. If i want to add some music, that means I have to get rid of something (it's the curse of being 55... and loving so many kinds of music!). Still got my 2G iPod, it still works perfectly...

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Cool. Just ordered a brand new, shiny, black 160GB classic. Can't wait!

Not a big fan - big capacity, but who can listen to 40K songs? Who needs the whole library? Getting cross-eyed at watching video - the touch is where it is at, but the price is too high.

I for one like having all my music at my fingertips. Never know what I'm going to be in the mood for. In addition to that, I like having this as a backup. When I think about how many CDs I've ripped to my computer, and how long it took me...if my computer crashed tomorrow and my hard drive was unrecoverable, I'd have to re-rip all that music. I'm glad to have the capacity. I wanted the "Touch" capability, but not with only 16GB of storage.

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
in general it's considered less glaring than the white and aluminum. But if you look at, say, how well the white accessories work on the Powerbook or the Macbook Pro, to, now, how the aluminum/white keyboard looks and how the silver iPods look, Apple is improving.

Agreed on all points. Also, I'm not totally against white, but I'd certainly like to see Apple make a keyboard / mouse that doesn't show grime so easily.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
I'm so glad there's an iPod classic. The touch is cool n all but to me, it's just not an iPod. I'll be getting the 160GB one I think...plenty of room to grow into :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Agreed on all points. Also, I'm not totally against white, but I'd certainly like to see Apple make a keyboard / mouse that doesn't show grime so easily.

The keyboard is sort of one of those glaring points of modern design... unless you use a cover like the iSkin, even if you are meticulous, the keyboard shows signs of wear and accumulates dust and junk over time. And they are not easily amenable to cleaning. The new Apple design is better on both fronts, but it's always a limitation. Ahh, well, I guess this is a limitation until it becomes feasible to make a keyboard-sized iPhone screen and then just use that. :D

Does your mighty mouse get dirty easily? Is it the ball, or the whole thing?

As for my white Apple stuff... my AEBS and iMac just have to be dusted periodically. The mouse bottom ring gets grimy, but the top just needs to be wiped off once in a rare while. The keyboards both stay clean and I just wash the iSkins periodically, although particularly the skin for the old style Apple Wireless Keyboard does hamper touch typing. The only thing that really gets intensive cleaning to stay new looking is the iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.